BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41950 - 02/24/07 12:33 AM The Importance of Proper Ball Fit
1mrdad Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 57/male/S.W. Chicago Suburbs
I am throwing a Morich WMB for my oil ball and an AMF Titan for extra length. I had actually shelved the Morich for a year and even tried to sell it because I could not get the ball to move no matter what I tried, so I was using the Titan exclusively. In December, I had the inserts replaced in the Titan because they were beginning to shred. My ball driller suggested going to smaller inserts because he had seen how much I had shimmed the back of the inserts. Wanting the same fit and feel in all of my balls, I had the inserts changed in the WMB and my spare ball, despite the fact that the inserts seemed to small because my fingers no longer went as deep as before. What a night and difference in the finish of the balls! The Morich was finally hooking and driving into the pocket. I noticed after I had the new inserts, I was starting to "double dribble" the ball. It was very frustrating trying to figure out why, and even a pro wasn't able to help me solve the problem. Finally at the first of the year I decided to try some tape in my thumb hole, so I added two pieces of the white tape. What a difference again. I became much more consistent, and shot 670 (at the time my average was 185). I tried it for a couple of weeks but I noticed that I was still dropping the ball at times. So, two weeks ago I added a third piece of tape and shot 759 grin(245, 246,268 and didn't win a penny LOL). Last week I added a 4th piece of tape because my thumb fell out during practice. The first game I started with nine in a row, and finished with 278 and won high game first game and first game doubles ($1600 total for the first gamegrin). My average has jumped to 191 since the first of the year, and I haven't shot lower than 591 since my ball has fit properly. The tape is allowing me to keep my thumb relaxed making me more consistent and accurate. Obviously, the smaller inserts are giving me more lift. I am still amazed what a difference proper finger and thumb fit has made to my game. In defense of my Pro Shop owner, when I originally bought the WMB and the Titan I insisted on the larger holes because I thought it felt more comfortable, so he obliged. I also have lost thirty pounds since September The WMB is now my primary ball, and from my pot winnings, I am replacing the Titan with a Morich Awesome Flip.

Sorry for the log winded post, but I thought if someone out there is struggling, you may want to get your ball checked for proper fit.

900 Glogal Creature Pearl
Morich Awesome Revs
Morich Weapon of Mass Bias
All 14#

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#41967 - 02/24/07 11:08 AM Re: The Importance of Proper Ball Fit [Re: 1mrdad]
ExBronxiteBowler Offline
PBA Senior Bowler

A/S/L: M 66 Staten Island, NY
Originally Posted By: 1mrdad
<stuff snipped> Finally at the first of the year I decided to try some tape in my thumb hole, so I added two pieces of the white tape. What a difference again. I became much more consistent, and shot 670 (at the time my average was 185). I tried it for a couple of weeks but I noticed that I was still dropping the ball at times. So, two weeks ago I added a third piece of tape and shot 759 grin(245, 246,268 and didn't win a penny LOL). Last week I added a 4th piece of tape because my thumb fell out during practice. The first game I started with nine in a row, and finished with 278 and won high game first game and first game doubles ($1600 total for the first gamegrin). My average has jumped to 191 since the first of the year, and I haven't shot lower than 591 since my ball has fit properly. The tape is allowing me to keep my thumb relaxed making me more consistent and accurate. Obviously, the smaller inserts are giving me more lift. I am still amazed what a difference proper finger and thumb fit has made to my game. In defense of my pro shop owner, when I originally bought the WMB and the Titan I insisted on the larger holes because I thought it felt more comfortable, so he obliged. I also have lost thirty pounds since September
If you lost that much weight, you may want to have your equipment reslugged or if you're not using a solod thumb slug, have one put in, and new thumbs drilled, preferably milled if your ball driller has a milling mchine. Also, you should be afraid to add or remove tape as your need it. Sometimes I use 1 piece and sometimes I have 8 peices, depends on how much my thumb swells or shrinks. What I recommend is that you have your thumb fitted so it fits when it is at its biggest, and then add tape as necessary so it fits when its not quite so swollen.

On the milling machine that I use, after I drilled the pilot hole (7/8 bit) I then I then add .095 reverse, and .095 right to my thumb pitch, After that I back off .0475 on each direction and use a 57/64 bit. Then I bevel and smooth out the thumb, add 1 or more pieces of tape and I'm good to go. The end result is a thumb that is ovaled at 45 degrees that is snug back to front and slightly lose side to side.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.