BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41823 - 02/22/07 10:44 PM Wrist Pain (not me, a teammate)
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/New Jersey
Hey Everybody,

I want to throw this one out there because I have a teammate who is having a lot of trouble with pain in his wrist and I would like to get some advice for him. He is RH and has pain pretty much every week on the inside edge of his right wrist. I have told him to get to the doctor to have it checked out so he can get back to normal, but I want to hear some other thoughts.

There is an easy answer as to why this happens; I've known him for a very long time and in that time he's barely used his thumb. I think it's causing him to put too much strain on those particular tendons in his wrist, so I believe that he had tendinitis He's never going to start to use his thumb because he never learned how to get a good release with the thumb in the ball (trust me, it's not pretty). I also don't think I can convince him that it's just not necessary with today's equipment to go thumb out. Any ideas or input on what he could do to relieve some stress from the wrist beside the doctor visit?

Mark

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#41829 - 02/23/07 12:15 AM Re: Wrist Pain (not me, a teammate) [Re: Mkirchie]
d_bradford82 Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: Macomb, IL
Well I have wrist pain all the time and have gone to the doctor about it. The doctor thinks i have a sist that has formed and gave me this pack of pills (steroid/cordizone) and it went away for awhile.

My situation my wrist only bothers me for a little while and the pain goes away eventually for the most part after its warmed up. Sometimes it completely goes away.

Anyway it sounds like he really should see a doctor before he does end up hurting himself.

HG: 300-3
HS: 816

#41841 - 02/23/07 05:30 AM Re: Wrist Pain (not me, a teammate) [Re: d_bradford82]
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
When I use to throw 2 finger I developed wrist pain and it forced me to use my thumb. It took some getting use to but using the thumb helped with strength and I still could rev the ball. It sounds like your friend needs to see a Dr. They might end up doing simple stuff like X-rays and possibly an MRI. Could be tendonitis and if it is they will prescribe meds and rest which means no bowling for an extended period of time. With Summer coming up it might be a good time to give the hand a chance to heal.
Storm - Natural

#41864 - 02/23/07 09:40 AM Re: Wrist Pain (not me, a teammate) [Re: Silent Mike]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
One of my teammates had a lot of wrist pain for almost 2 years. He finally went to the doctor and it turned out that his tendons in his wrist where shredded and he needed surgery. He was out of bowling for a year. He is back this year, throwing his normal equipment and bowling just as well if not better than he was when he had to stop.

Best bet, he needs to see a doctor. There may be other things going on in his wrist that he doesn't know about.

#41899 - 02/23/07 02:22 PM Re: Wrist Pain (not me, a teammate) [Re: General Pounder]
luisistaz Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 49/male/Tijuana, Mexico
First of all, the mechanism of the lesion is completly the oposite of what we call carpal tunnel syndrome. Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by constan hyperextension of the carpal tendons causing inflamation. In the case of the bowler's version, it's caused by constant hyperflexion and forced hyperflexion of the same joint and tendons. And yes, players who don't use their thumbs place more preasure to their wrist as they don't have the thumbs suport. Mike and Pounder hit it on the head, the only real way it can heal is with rest. Antiinflamatory medication can help (both non steroid and cortizone, just remember cortizone must be taken for very short periods), but the only way he will heal is rest and change his shot. If he doesn't do that, he will tear up his tendons and will need surgery to repair tears, or might even need tendon replacement surgery.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/16/18 09:27 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
End of Days
by Dennis Michael - 07/15/18 07:34 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.