BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41808 - 02/22/07 08:27 PM Suggstions on drilling an X Out - The One
bluesman_vt_2002 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/M/VT
Hey everyone. I picked up an X Out - The One on eBay. I knew that there was a chance of getting something odd... I did.

This is how it's laid out. Any suggestions. Thanks.

-- Travis

Storm Hy-Road | Ebonite Mission | Ebonite Complete NV | Plastic

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#41810 - 02/22/07 08:29 PM Re: Suggstions on drilling an X Out - The One [Re: bluesman_vt_2002]
bluesman_vt_2002 Offline
Bracket Donor

Additional specs:

15lbs 3oz. - 3 oz. Top Weight

Axis Coordinates - 5 3/8" over by 1/2" up

Thanks again.

-- Travis

#41813 - 02/22/07 08:51 PM Re: Suggstions on drilling an X Out - The One [Re: bluesman_vt_2002]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Yikes! If the CG's above the pin, you're going to have to do some fun stuff. Let me fish around for some old "bomb's away" drilling sheets from Ebonite from their Matrix TPS series equipment. That would be the best way to drill that ball.

By the way, can you take a picture of it and post it? That might be helpful.

#41814 - 02/22/07 09:08 PM Re: Suggstions on drilling an X Out - The One [Re: Brian Longo]
bluesman_vt_2002 Offline
Bracket Donor

Thanks Brian. Here's the photo. I bought this ball because I had read about some tour layouts and they were using X Outs and with the PBA Experience starting, I thought it might be interesting to have something in that vein. Thanks.

#41815 - 02/22/07 09:20 PM Re: Suggstions on drilling an X Out - The One [Re: bluesman_vt_2002]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

Yowzas! Yeah, that looks like the old "BOMB's Away" configuration Ebonite used about, oh, 7 years ago in their Matrix Trimax and TPS series. I've not had any luck finding drill sheets in .pdf form yet, and they might be tough to come by.

Actually, I just did email Ebonite to see if they would send me some drill sheets from the Matrix Trimax/TPS series with the BOMB's Away core, so hopefully I'll get them and can relay them to you.

I can't really remember how I drilled up my TPS II because that was 7 years ago and the only BOMB's away core I drilled. I'm thinking I had the BOMB around 11:30-12:00 with the pin 4" from PAP a shade under my ring finger, but again, I don't remember. Hopefully Ebonite will oblige with my request for those sheets.

#41816 - 02/22/07 09:26 PM Re: Suggstions on drilling an X Out - The One [Re: Brian Longo]
bluesman_vt_2002 Offline
Bracket Donor

Thanks Brian,

I'm also going to contact where I bought it from and see if I can exchange it for another one, offering to pay the shipping to and from. They may not do it.

I thought that you might get a kick out of this one. When I bought it, I was thinking that I would get a 5" pin out with an off center CG. Guess not. Hey, at least it's round right?

Thanks again.

-- Travis

#41817 - 02/22/07 09:43 PM Re: Suggstions on drilling an X Out - The One [Re: bluesman_vt_2002]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

Travis, the BOMB's Away core was born from some of the ball reps and staffed pros who turned around the old Tomahawk balls "backwards" and placed the BOMB on the backside of the ball. They used to get pin-on balls or blems and reverse the drillings. I don't remember the exact reason why the BOMB's Away core didn't stick, but I can tell you that when I did own one of these balls, it worked fine.

You're probably not going to get an exchange for it, but you can try. As I said, I hope to get those drill sheets. I don't exactly remember what placement does what, but I think it was, terminology-wise, the inverse of the way asymmetrics are drilled today. I'm pretty sure placing the BOMB close to or in the negative hemisphere will give you an arcing ball, placing it in a 12:00 direction will give you the best backend, and placing it near the VAL will give you a strong roll/arc. But I want to be sure about that before I put my "stamp" on such a statement.

#41820 - 02/22/07 10:31 PM Re: Suggstions on drilling an X Out - The One [Re: Brian Longo]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Quote:

Travis, the BOMB's Away core was born from some of the ball reps and staffed pros who turned around the old Tomahawk balls "backwards" and placed the BOMB on the backside of the ball.

I'm a little out of my league here, but I recall reading some discussions about being able to exactly what you're saying and have the ball react the same way. I think there is a way to treat the opposide side of the MB as the MB and drill it that way.. but this is just from some conversations I recall reading on other message boards. You're going to want to talk to someone who knows exactly what to do for sure.

#41821 - 02/22/07 10:40 PM Re: Suggstions on drilling an X Out - The One [Re: Lefty]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

That's why I'm waiting on those drilling sheets. I faintly remember the layouts, but if I'm not completely sure, I'm not going to endorse any particular layout. I used to keep all of the drill sheets from every ball in my old shop, just for times like these, but my wife and I moved out of that bowling center and the sheets never came along.

#41848 - 02/23/07 07:42 AM Re: Suggstions on drilling an X Out - The One [Re: Brian Longo]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Even without the drill sheets, I seem to recall that you can treat another point on the ball as the mass bias and get the same reaction, but I'm not positive what that point is.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 02:32 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 09/23/18 10:56 AM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 09/12/18 08:37 AM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 09/07/18 04:48 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 09/05/18 04:25 PM
Off-Spot Rule and Pinspotter Operation Question
by BOSStull - 09/01/18 06:43 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.