BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41709 - 02/22/07 07:20 AM Coaches tips for parents?
OzNik Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Australia
Hi all, hoping to get some advice from some of the coaches here, especially those that coach kids!

About 6 months ago my son (age 11) started spending 1 hour a week with a coach and his average went from 117 to 136 by the end of last league season (just before Christmas). It is now up to 142 ( he's regularly bowling 150 - 160 games and his PB is 224). I think his coach has done really well with him so far, however the coach has rather limiting mobility issues resulting from an accident meaning he cannot travel to "away" events. So it falls to me to provide any assistance to my son when we go away. But you know what kids are like - they never want to listen to Mum or Dad!

I have considered changing coaches, but we are not spoilt for choice where we live and to be honest, what I do know about the other coaches in my city doesn't impress me much (politics and personal agendas, if you know what I mean?). Plus the current coach and my son have developed a great rapport and I don't think my son would be keen to change.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how I can help my son prepare for and keep a good mental attitude throughout tournaments and remind him of things that he needs to think about (like warming up properly, adjusting to the right starting point for his spare shots etc), without him getting cranky with me!

Also, (if you've managed to read this far!) any thoughts on nutrition for children when they are competing... 20+ games in a weekend is quite draining on young kids and you know how bad bowling alley food can be! I see a lot of parents loading their kids up with sugary and fatty foods during tournaments (supposedly to "keep their energy up") but there has to be a better way, doesn't there?

Thanks in advance,
Nikki

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#41710 - 02/22/07 08:06 AM Re: Coaches tips for parents? [Re: OzNik]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Hello Nikki,

It makes it tough when your coach can not travel with you to tourney's. Just a thought, but maybe you can talk to the coach on the side and have him tell your son that he (the coach) has instructed you what to watch for and what advice to give when things don't go just right. If your son trusts this coach, and it sounds like he truly does, he may accept your advice..because after all its indirectly coming from his "trusted coach". It would also be helpfull if you offer your advice the same way the coach does, meaning if coach uses certain words or phrases in the way he describes things, use the same verbage....it will be familiar to your son, and it will sound like the coach really did teach Mum what to do. I hope this makes sense. As far as the nutrition thing..thats tough as well. I am sure your son don't want to eat an orange when everyone else is eating fries and candy bars. Explain to him that he is an athlete, and proper nutrition will help him bowl better. Peanut butter is a good choice, as well as fruit. But make sure that he drinks milk with any fruit, or sweets such as cookies etc. The milk, in combination with the natural sugars in fruit convert the sugar into amino acid, which is a form of protien. It will help eliminate the " sugar high". He won't suffer from an energy boost , then energy crash pattern. ( mood swings, getting hyper etc.) Hope this helps a little.
GOOD LUCK.!!

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#41713 - 02/22/07 08:34 AM Re: Coaches tips for parents? [Re: Tim Gerard]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
I agree with Eraser on all fronts, and I will also add that maybe you can get the coach to write down certain things on paper for your son to look at if he's in a bind. Usually, when I "hand off" any of my advice to a parent, I am pretty explicit about what to look for and how to relay it. I also take the child aside, with parent(s) there and explain to the child that I will not be there, so listen to Mom/Dad because I have told them what to look out for. This way, it's not a "direct order" from a parent in a child's eyes, though you and I both know it is.

On the nutrition front, Eraser "stole" my suggestion of peanut butter, but I will also add any higher carbohydrate foods such as pastas and certain breads. Be careful about high starch food, though, as those can lead to sluggishness. A balanced combination of protein and carbohydrates will keep your child's energy level up for quite some time and is actually "brain food". If you really want to make it as such, take you child to a restaurant before bowling as sort of an "incentive" to bowl well. If he does bowl well, then you might want to make it a habit. It's all up to you. If he bowls in the morning, a balanced breakfast will be fine (like eggs/sausage/toast). I try to steer away from bacon due to the higher fat content.

#41761 - 02/22/07 02:56 PM Re: Coaches tips for parents? [Re: Brian Longo]
Angel Offline

A/S/L: F/So Cal
I wouldn't worry too much about a coach that doesn't travel. That's going to happen throughout life, and it's far better that a child try to self-correct than always looking to a coach/parent/other person for what they should be doing. I do agree with the idea of working with the coach for what the bowler should be looking for, and perhaps what the parents should point out when asked (I'm not a fan of parents jumping in unless the child asks for help).

Another suggestion, my son's coach gave him a little spiral notebook (no bigger than a deck of cards) to jot down thoughts, concerns, or anything else. When they get back together, they can always go through the notebook and discuss what the bowler had issues with.

As for nutrition during longer events, the biggest issue I see isn't even with food, but hydration. Bring bottles of water and drink it. Some people use Gatorade, but bowling isn't really that type of sport, but if it means the kids will drink it, fine. Regarding the food, I know some people are not big eaters before bowling, and others require a full meal. If the tournament is longer (six or more games) I tend to pack snacks for the kids (nuts, granola bars, crackers).

If you want to really deal with the nutrition aspect, I recommend talking to a nutritionalist or reading up some. What's in vogue today is out tomorrow, and you're looking for solid science.

#41772 - 02/22/07 04:34 PM Re: Coaches tips for parents? [Re: Angel]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Quote:

As for nutrition during longer events, the biggest issue I see isn't even with food, but hydration. Bring bottles of water and drink it.

That's the key for me. I go through almost a 16oz glass of water a game sometimes. I'll drink at least 2 of them for every 3 games I bowl.

#41804 - 02/22/07 07:54 PM Re: Coaches tips for parents? [Re: Lefty]
OzNik Offline
Bumper Bowler

Wow, thanks for the replies guys! smile

Eraser, it's interesting you mentioned the fruit/milk combo. Nathan (my son) bowled in a tourny last weekend and he asked for a fruit smoothie with his breakfast (scrambled egg and a muffin) and then he bowled his highest series ever straight up! He was sure the smoothie did it so he had another one before playing in the finals the next day. He placed 4th behind three boys who are 1 - 3 years older than him and all have great coaches. He bowled an average of 159 over 20 games that weekend - he was very proud of himself (as are my hubby and I!). So, we might make the smoothies a regular part of his pre-tourny breakfast!

Yep, hydration is something I am VERY aware of. The heat in our local alley is indescribably in mid-summer. They are working on installing new aircon but it's been a long slow process because AMF have cut budgets drastically here and a lot of work needed to be done on the roof before the aircon units could go in.Nate never goes to the alley without a water bottle and the girls at the cafe are always happy to refill it as many times as he needs. Sometimes he asks for a gatorade/powerade but I try and limit those - they are expensive and not really necessary. When I do allow him to get one it's usually a psychological tool to help give him a boost - he thinks they help when he's hot and tired and sometimes it's the only thing that'll get him back on track!

I actually spoke with a nutritionist recently - they only one who advertises as a "sports nutritionist" in my town. To be honest, she was pretty useless! I'm not even sure that she understood what kind of demands could be placed on a bowlers' body in a long tournament. I think I'll stick to reading books and talking to people like yourselves and using my own judgement! LOL.

As for the coaching... Angel I know what you mean about parents jumping in. I admit, I used to be REALLY bad but since Nate has been working with the coach I have backed off as much as I can. I'm getting better at not interfering but it can be so frustrating when you see them making the same mistake over and over!!! When I do say something, I try and use the same language his coach uses (I watch them train most weeks if I can get off work early enough) but mostly I just try and remind him to actually 'think' about his shot before he steps off and remember to make his adjustments. He has a 'spare system' but lost the sheet it was written on so the coach is writing it up again for him. I think I'll type it up this time so I can print it off if he loses it again! He shouldn't really need it because he does know where to stand for each different spare, but after a long day he ends up just "going through the motions" and makes silly mistakes. If he has that bit of paper he can refer back to it whenever he needs to.

I like the idea of a notebook for him too, I might give that a try!

Anyway, I think I've yapped enough - I tend to write as I think so some of my posts can become quite long-winded, sorry!!

Thanks again for your input!

Nikki

#41845 - 02/23/07 06:25 AM Re: Coaches tips for parents? [Re: OzNik]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I have been working with youth bowlers for ten years now and there is one BIG thing I have learned about parents and that is they want their kid to do well to the point that they want to roboticly control their child.

Bowling doesn't work this way. No matter how much you want your child to win, it is up to your child to make it happen. As a coach, I can't go up there and bowl for your kid, they have to do it themselves, and they will fail, everyone fails, it is how we deal with failure that makes us champions, even if we never win.

My advice to you is to watch your son bowl and be happy with the results no matter what they are, and be happy you get to spend time with him and be there for him when things don't go so well. Keep things in perspective, it is only (insert sport here) and he/she is doing this to have fun, granted it is more fun to win, but there are more important things in life, and winning doesn't make you a champion and losing doesn't make you a loser. How you conduct yourself through life is what matters, just try to have some fun along the way.

#41931 - 02/23/07 10:07 PM Re: Coaches tips for parents? [Re: CoachJim]
OzNik Offline
Bumper Bowler

Thanks for your comments Jim smile I agree with you - as parents we often do expect too much, guilty as charged! But we (hubby and I) are working on that. When one of us starts nagging or getting frustrated, the other will say "go for a walk". We're learning to keep ourselves and eachother in check. We try not to make a big deal about a bad game/series, instead we keep it light-hearted by calling it "average-management"! LOL. We always have fun with bowling - if it's not fun, it's not worth doing it!

The other thing is, when I am discussing issues relating to his coaching or nutrition etc, I don't generally do it within his earshot. He doesn't need to worry about those things. I don't go on at him about having to eat this or that, I just try to gently guide him (and lead by example) to make healthier choices. He's not a "sporty" kid, he doesn't enjoy sports at school, so I encourage (not force!) him to do other active things that will help him keep fit, like riding his bike to school (which he loves and it's a half hour bike ride each way!) or going swimming (I swear he was a fish in a previous life, he loves the water!), but he doesn't realise that those things are benefiting him in other ways besides the fun factor!

So yeah, fun is of the utmost importance... but there's no harm in making beneficial choices while you're at it, hey?

Cheers,
Nikki

#41983 - 02/24/07 02:05 PM Re: Coaches tips for parents? [Re: OzNik]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
The other thing that your son has to learn is how to adjust on his own. He needs to learn how to correct the bad shots when he makes them without someone telling him what to do. Learning to adjust and correct mistakes is an important part of bowling as well. I personally think that a lot of direction from parents during competition has the potential to do more harm than good. If he gets frustrated that his parents keep telling him what to do on top of struggling, the situation is now twice as bad as it was before.

I'd personally save my comments until after they were done and then say something like.. "Hey do you remember when X happened? It looked like you were doing Y." Then relay to his coach what you saw as well.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 05/25/20 06:01 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.