BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40804 - 02/11/07 04:18 PM spares kill me
bige4060 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Warwick, RI
Ok my average is 155 and I use a 14lb ebonite tornado,im having problems picking up my 1 and 2 pin spares, if I can consistently pick those up, I know my average would jump to the 170's.does anyone have some tips to help me out? Also I had a teammate mention shadow bowling, what exactly is that?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#40805 - 02/11/07 05:25 PM Re: spares kill me [Re: bige4060]
mkee19 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/MD
I dont have any special tips to give you. You must practice shooting them. I suggest getting a spare ball, but if you dont have one, you need to develop a consistant approach and delivery to pick up all your spares. When you friend suggests shadow bowling, I think he means bowling with no pins on the deck. You should know where all the pins set. Aim for the spot where they would be. Another idea, which is similar to what your friend suggests, is to bowl a whole practice session and work on accuracy. Attempt to hit certain pins, dont try to strike, but work on gettin the ball to the pins exactly where you set out to put it.

#40806 - 02/11/07 06:04 PM Re: spares kill me [Re: bige4060]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
There a couple of spare system you can try that might work for you. SOme people use these system and modify thema little. I use the 3-6-9 system baiscally you keep your target the same, but move your feet. Then there the 2-4-6- System you move your target but not your feet.

Can try each one in practice and see what ever works for you. I use the 3-6-9 system except on 10 pins which i jsut move 9-12 board the left with feet and aim at middle arrow.

Spare ball help to if you not able to change your release. Practice is probally the best thing to work on you spares and what i have trouble is rushing on spares why i miss them. Just take your time, practice practice and practice on them.
BowlSk: Stats

#40827 - 02/11/07 10:14 PM Re: spares kill me [Re: Brandon510]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
It is very common for a bowler to throw two different balls. One for a strike, and another for a spare. I don't know why that is, but have seen it often.
It seems the focus is not there, speed picks up and a whole bunch of other things.
You style and focus should always be the same. Often, bowlers pull the second ball or pick up speed. This is remedied with parctice.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#40829 - 02/11/07 10:26 PM Re: spares kill me [Re: Dennis Michael]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
Dennis, the reason to carry a spare ball is to take out the lane condition when picking up spares, especially corner spares. It has been said that the only reason to throw a hook at all is to take out the 5 pin. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. If you can hit a target consistently, then the plastic ball is the best for the experienced bowler. I know that Norm Duke can change his release to pick up any spare he chooses. Not everyone can do that. It is much easier to keep the release the same and use a ball that will not hook unless the lanes are bone dry. I am the best spare shooter on my team, mainly because I am the only one who doesn't try to hook the ball for each of my spares. So, it doesn't matter if the lanes have light oil or heavy oil, my system, my targets, my ball speed, my release, all stay the same.

I'm not sure if you were trying to make a different point and I just didn't understand. If so, then accept my apology. If not, then this is the reason for using a plastic ball for spares. But I do know a guy at my job who is a better spare shooter than I and he uses his strike ball ( but he throws it straight like Norm Duke ), so whatever floats your boat.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#40837 - 02/12/07 03:51 AM Re: spares kill me [Re: Smooth Stroker]
Ziggy Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 46 / Yes;^) / Orange County, C...
Bige,

You're trouble having trouble w/one / two pin spares... but, you make no mention of / if any in particular conversions that bewilder you??

As mentioned; develop a "spare system" that works for you
possibly adding a 'less aggresive' ball for spares
during open bowling practice, forget the score...

Some basic tips:
- 1, 3, and 5 pins are your strike shot
- 2 and 4 pins is going "Brooklyn" (3 boards rt from strike shot)
- an 8 pin is 'strike shot' plus one to two boards rt
- 7 pins can be taken out by moving your feet 5 boards rt
- 6, 9 & 10's are "cross alley" shots ie: at 35 shooting x 20
(moving one to two boards right will move your line in for 6, 9)

Hope this helps you out a bit... as opposed to making it even more confusing,
michael s.
Orange County, CA

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.