BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40833 - 02/12/07 01:01 AM my first bowling video shot
stevefoxwong Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: singapore
14# Sidewinder
15# red alert edge
12# columbia spare ball
Ball speed:2.45sec-2.2sec(16.7mph-18.6mph)
Rev rate~342rpm
Oil Trek(axis tilt): high.
HG/HS: 279/643
40 games across 6 centers league avg :170

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#41360 - 02/18/07 03:16 AM Re: my first bowling video shot [Re: stevefoxwong]
Smooth23 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 23/M/Jackson, MI
I just always wonder why I see people cramming 5 steps into where most people start a 3 step approach.

#41370 - 02/18/07 08:20 AM Re: my first bowling video shot [Re: stevefoxwong]
Workin to get good!! Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Tn.
The thing I see wrong is your aproach when walking up you kinda stumble over your feet.Rather than walk up straight you walk up crossing over your feet as you aproach,kinda like a drunk guy.Hope this helps.

#41379 - 02/18/07 11:01 AM Re: my first bowling video shot [Re: Workin to get good!!]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
You start with left and walk right. Then your right crosses over to the left. While this is happening, your body is swinging from right to left. Hard to focus on your target. You make it a moving target.

Couldn't see your release, But your second roll was faster. Is that normal on a spare?
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#41382 - 02/18/07 12:28 PM Re: my first bowling video shot [Re: Dennis Michael]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I actually don't see the wandering as a huge problem as long as you do it the same all the time. Its the first two steps, the first of which in a five step approach is a timing step, but you come right back inline with the last three. I also don't have a problem with where you start and the number of steps. You don't rush your footwork and you are not taking lunging giant steps, that's all good. You have good knee bend, just hold that finish position longer.

What I would like to see is for you to not drop your shoulder so much, which pulls you off balance a bit. And causes you to kind of launch the ball upwards. I'd like to see a release that lets the ball land onto the lane like an airplane, not stone skipping across a pond. If that makes sense. The second shot was better, IMO. Better balance, and shoulder not as dropped. Don't be afraid to use that balance arm a little more effectively.

Next time you have a video opportunity, take a side view. Bowl on the right lane and try to get your video from the next pair of lanes. Of course you'd have to get the manager's permission and it won't be feasable if the center is busy. Don't bother taking a left

Erin

#41390 - 02/18/07 05:55 PM Re: my first bowling video shot [Re: Atochabsh]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
What I see from this hard to see video and bad angle, is a forward swing which travels away from your body. You look like you are turning your hand too early. I bet you end up tugging the ball a lot. If you kept the ball close to your ankle, that would alleviate "chicken winging" as it is called. Try to keep the hand flat until it reaches just before your ankle. At this flat spot, your hand should be closer to your ankle. Try to keep your arm close to your side during your forward swing. This will eliminate chicken winging and tugging.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#41393 - 02/18/07 07:28 PM Re: my first bowling video shot [Re: Smooth23]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Originally Posted By: Smooth23
I just always wonder why I see people cramming 5 steps into where most people start a 3 step approach.

When I was bowling right-handed, I used to take 5 steps with only 10 feet of approach (at the front dots), and even then, I ended up 1 foot from the foul line. As a left-hander, I end up about 8 inches from the foul line with a 4 step approach that starts only 8 feet from the foul line. I don't see what the big deal is with that and why it was necessary to comment on that. Just because you have 15 feet (or more) of approach doesn't mean you need to use it all.

#41415 - 02/19/07 08:53 AM Re: my first bowling video shot [Re: Brian Longo]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
It's hard to tell, but it also looks like you're slowing the ball down on it's decent from your pushaway. You should let it fall more freely. You'll generate more ball speed and power.

#42344 - 03/01/07 01:11 AM Re: my first bowling video shot [Re: Lefty]
stevefoxwong Offline
League Bowler

suprise to see reply after one week of no comment.
my first step is walk towards my target, second step i purposely drift left, to clear my hip and i heard drift left can help when play more inside line. my last step i step left for balance. but i not very happy with my step speed compare to the pros. i think i miss something there.

i also think that i cramming 5 steps, I reduce it to correct my timing. but i take about 1-2 step back on my spare where i have a higher Push away. i believe that if my back swing is higher, i can start more backwards, to key the timing right. i also trying ron clifton pull down on forward down swing to have a gravity drop down swing. but i ran into some acuraccy problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFi19JTokI8

i have recently have a new video which my shoulder dont drop so much. which i prevent my body to tilt too much right. this video i think the ball have more smooth landing like airplane. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGvANq42NA
Currently i trying to work on my ball Speed. either like tommy jone or couch with high back swing, or like walter ray with some muscle on release, i heard pete Weber have high back swing (31km/hr)but the speed is still slower than walter ray(32km/hr) data from japan cup video.

Thanks for all the great advise. i will try to take a right side video during practice. those shorts are taken during fun bowl match.

i going to try ron clifton tilt shoulder method to raise my back swing, just like walter ray , where he bent down after the push away to allow the ball to go up.

Any other help on increase ball speed is appreciated. currently my ball speed is 2.8 sec. i hope to raise to 2.5 sec, without holding my ball too high up on the shoulder, just like those pros.

Edited by stevefoxwong (03/01/07 01:22 AM)
14# Sidewinder
15# red alert edge
12# columbia spare ball
Rev rate~342rpm

#42345 - 03/01/07 01:37 AM Re: my first bowling video shot [Re: Dennis Michael]
stevefoxwong Offline
League Bowler

i think second roll is more relax than the first one. the second one is still a strike shot
14# Sidewinder
15# red alert edge
12# columbia spare ball
Rev rate~342rpm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.