BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40492 - 02/07/07 01:29 PM Coach Question
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Orange County, CA
I know there are a few USBC coaches on this board and I have a question. I plan on taking the Bronze certification in April and I was wondering if anyone cared to share how much coaching they actually do as far as:

* How many lessons you give on average?
* Is anyone coaching a team (high school or college)?
* Anyone helping youth leagues?
* Anyone making any $$$ doing this?

And in general, what do you think about coaching, is it satifying etc...

Any insight would be appreciated.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#40496 - 02/07/07 01:45 PM Re: Coach Question [Re: SoCal Jeff]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
I coach junior bowlers, and sometimes adults...free of charge for everyone. I didn't get into coaching to make money. I did it to give back to the sport that gave me so much.

I find it fulfilling, actually. I am Level 1 by certification but quite a bit above that level by knowledge. I do not have enough money to take a bronze level class. And, sometimes, just because you take the class doesn't mean you have the knowledge. Kind of like some teachers and professors.

For me, it's a great feeling to help someone grasp another concept of the game or get better simply by providing them your knowledge, patience, and caring. I have one junior bowler who in 6 months went from a 155 average bowler to 190. Part of the difference is lane conditions. The other part is knowledge. He's one of my best students by far and has little problem incorporating a new concept into his game. He needed guidance and a more in-depth knowledge of the game.

Yes, Jeff, I find coaching fulfilling. Since I do not have children of my own, I have a group of 50 or so that I can live vicariously through on Saturday mornings.

#40499 - 02/07/07 02:00 PM Re: Coach Question [Re: Brian Longo]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I don't give too many lessons myself due to the fact that I work two jobs, 5 days a week. After work, all the houses in the area are full of leagues, so no open play available or it is extremely limited. But I did want to be certified in the event that something opens up in my schedule. I don't know of anyone that is earning a living off coaching. Its all purely supplemental or like Brian; self satisfying. Going rate around here for Bronze level coaching is $40/hr.

Erin

#40524 - 02/07/07 04:04 PM Re: Coach Question [Re: Atochabsh]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

thanks guys,
I'm looking to make it a full time career by any means. My main motivation is the kids - we have a terrible showing as far as youth bowling goes and I hope to change this. I work in the Pro Shop part time and it kills me to see 12 kids bowling on Saturday morning and the center doesn't cater towards them at all - charges them $3.50 a game to practice while the other center 10 miles away charges a $1.00 anytime for youth bowlers. My hopes are to get my certification and get something happening there for the kids - after all they are the future league bowlers.

#40661 - 02/08/07 10:41 PM Re: Coach Question [Re: SoCal Jeff]
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
If you are going to be a quality coach, you better do it for the love of the game. There is very little money in coaching, until you have a list of credentials long enough to attract people from a distance to come see you. Or you become respected enough to be called upon as a speaker for large events.

Youth bowlers are at the mercy of their parents ability to see the need for coaching. Of course the parents expect to see their child emerge as Pete Weber after the first lesson. Since they control the purse strings, you are placed in a position that challenges your integrity. Personally I refuse to compromise, which puts me at odds with the parents. I will not hesitate to tell a parent that they have unrealistic expectations, and it is hampering their child's development.

Maybe I should write a book on the BS one faces as a coach...{;-p

#40668 - 02/09/07 12:42 AM Re: Coach Question [Re: Coach04]
ExBronxiteBowler Offline
PBA Senior Bowler

A/S/L: M 63 Staten Island, NY
My coaching career is also on hold, mostly since the times I have available is coaching, the house runs Cosmic glow bowling stuff. Kinda hard to teach someone if you gotta yell over the music, and they can't see 5 feet in front of them.... Gawd, 6 lanes going in a 32 lane center, and they have glow bowling with all the flashing lights and blaring music, as if that will attract the glow bolwers to come out of the wood work....

#40676 - 02/09/07 08:08 AM Re: Coach Question [Re: SoCal Jeff]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I am a USBC Silver level coach.

I don't have many paying students, but I have another job and don't really advertise myself either. You will get more students if you advertise and put up a web site etc...

I would love to coach a College team, but it is mostly on a volunteer basis and I can't afford to travel on my own dime that much.

I coach the youth league and find coaching youth bowlers is one of the most rewarding experiences in bowling.

As far as making $$$ you only get out of it what you put into it, meaning many years of making $ and spending $$$$ on training and equipment.

I feel as good when one of my students bowls well as if I bowled well myself.

It is hard to make big bucks unless you put forth the effort and money to learn as much as you can and stay on top of all of the latest equipment and techniques and methods of conveying these things to your students.

You don't have to be a great bowler to be a great coach, but if you can't coach yourself, then you will not have much of a chance of coaching others.

#40678 - 02/09/07 09:09 AM Re: Coach Question [Re: CoachJim]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
I am a Level 1 coach and am currently involved with a high school team. I don't get paid , ...at least monetarily. I enjoy working with the kids and seeing the expression on their faces when they do well. Last night the kids did VERY well, for the first time this year they all bowled great. They struggled for the most part this year, but were so excited yesterday. Some of these young bowlers had their best games ever. Needless to say they swept all their matches , both boys and girls, and yesterday anyways I got paid VERY well. I hope to take a Bronze Level class, if any are offerd in my area. As it stands now I would have to travel to another state to attend one, which
at this time anyways would be inconvenient.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#40688 - 02/09/07 10:49 AM Re: Coach Question [Re: Tim Gerard]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

Thanks for all the information everyone - I really appreciate it. I'm going to take the Level I class in March & Bronze in April.

Coach04, I can appreciate what you are saying about the parents - I used to train horses and every parent wanted to know why their little darling didn't place first - immediately.

If all I do is work with the kids and help grow a very small group of youth bowlers in our house, then I'll be happy.

Thanks again.

- Jeff

#40698 - 02/09/07 11:34 AM Re: Coach Question [Re: SoCal Jeff]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Jeff, my wife literally built our youth league here. She had 8 junior bowlers in 1998-99. Since 2004-2005, we've had no less than 50 kids. It's great to build a program and to watch it grow. If you can make it fun for the kids, it will grow. Once they start having fun they start telling their friends and their friends show up. Then a few of those friends (not all) get "hooked" and now they're calling in their friends. It's amazing what word-of-mouth advertising can do.

Once you get about 20 kids, you'll need to get help coaching. Our 8:1 ratio (kids:coaches) works pretty well. We also take the kids to the state tournament every year. New bowlers and parents are told that everyone is encouraged to go and that entry fees and hotel rooms for the bowlers are paid for by the youth league. Thankfully fundraisers and sponsors help us out. We also give out a $250 scholarship to all graduating kids to help out with college/tech school.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
no one on for 5 days
by djp1080 - 5 minutes 12 seconds ago
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:28 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/16/18 12:26 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - 05/03/18 03:10 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.