BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40654 - 02/08/07 09:53 PM Rules Question
Lefont Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 35/M/Atlanta
I've been reading the Rules Book and I cannot find the answer to a concern I have.

We're bowling a position round next week against a team that's been missing a bowler due to a shoulder injury for a couple of weeks. It's a bylaw of the league to not use any substitutes during position rounds. We heard last night that they were trying to replace the injured roster member with another bowler so they wouldn't lose playing strenght for that week. However, we know that the injured bowler intends to come back when he feels better and has not resigned from the league or given two weeks notice as stated by USBC Rules.

This team did the same thing in the second position round this year. They replaced another roster member on the same date of the position round.

I understand that a team has the right to reach player strength, but does that apply on a position round?

I'd appreciate any help on this. Thanks.

Leo

MoRich Awesome Hook - 14#
MoRich Total Shock & Awe - 14#
Brunswick Ultra Zone - 14#
MoRich Sahara - 14#

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#40659 - 02/08/07 10:37 PM Re: Rules Question [Re: Lefont]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Yes, unfortunately it does. But the player they replace has to officially quit the league. That means two week notice and most likely forfeiture of their prize fund. When you quit a league you don't get pro rated prize fund.

So they do not have a vacancy. A vacancy is when they have no player to take the spot within the team. They have a player but he cannot perform right now. You can only get your team up to full strength when you have a vacancy. This team does not have a vacancy, imo.

Its going to cause problems and it will require league meeting etc........ They have gotten away with it before because of weak officers and a "who cares" attitude from the other teams in the league.

Erin

#40662 - 02/08/07 10:47 PM Re: Rules Question [Re: Atochabsh]
Lefont Offline
Bracket Donor

Thanks Erin. I knew you would have some info on this. I guess we're going to be filing a protest if they try to pull the same stunt...

MoRich Sahara - 14#

#40664 - 02/09/07 12:16 AM Re: Rules Question [Re: Lefont]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

see rule 114a

It basically says that he has to officially quit with a two week paid notice to get pro rated prize fund. And he can rejoin the same team later if sufficient cause is given and accepted. Or 2/3 rds WRITTEN CONSENT of the team captains if the bowler did NOT give proper notice and sufficient cause.

It sounds like in this case the bowler has never officially quit the league and therefore established a vacancy. If he has not paid though, an automatic vacancy can take place. Because failure to pay results in being removed from the league, thus creating a vacancy. So if he's paid, while he's been injured, then obviously he has not created a vacancy for failure to pay. And without two week prior notice, his paying doesn't amount to anything more then an absent bowler.

Erin

#40665 - 02/09/07 12:19 AM Re: Rules Question [Re: Atochabsh]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

If you are thinking protest then you have to follow rule 119 to the tee. No way around it. USBC will not even look at anything that has not been processed according to this rule.

Erin

#40669 - 02/09/07 12:43 AM Re: Rules Question [Re: Atochabsh]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
oh Wow i didnt know you had to give two weeks notice when you quit the league. hmm my two team amtes that quit gave me like three days notice. I told the league secetary said he take them off the following week. Good info to know then you have to give two weeks notice when quiting.

BowlSk: Stats

#40692 - 02/09/07 11:01 AM Re: Rules Question [Re: Brandon510]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

You can just walk and quit, but you are liable for two weeks of paying league fees. And if you don't, then process 119 maybe exacted upon you by the league.

Our two leagues have rules explaining the ramifications of quitting the league, especially where your prize fund money goes if you quit.

Erin

#40750 - 02/10/07 12:57 AM Re: Rules Question [Re: Atochabsh]
Lefont Offline
Bracket Donor

Thanks for Erin for the advice. I will read 119 just to make sure we're following procedure. I rather for them not to pull a stunt again, but I rather be prepared.

MoRich Sahara - 14#

#40757 - 02/10/07 08:39 AM Re: Rules Question [Re: Lefont]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Erin - Here's a question. We had something similar happen in one my my leagues. Basically a person has a back injury that will keep them out for the rest of the season. There's a league rule that no one has really payed attention to (not that that makes it any less of a rule) that you can't bring in a sub with an average +10 above the person they're replacing during a the half season finals *IF* you're one of the 4 teams bowling in the championship. A little convoluted, but that's the rule.

Anyway, this team violated that rule with the sub they were using. They were a little annoyed because it wasn't their intention to stack their team. Their response was then that he was now a member of their team and not a sub.

I understand that you need to give notice for someone resigning, but is there a rule against adding someone to your roster? I know a lot of teams that carry more bowlers than spots and rotate. What's to stop someone from just adding someone to their roster?

#40760 - 02/10/07 09:58 AM Re: Rules Question [Re: Lefty]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

I don't think there's a general rule that allows for more players on a team then are slated to bowl. When you turn in your league sanction, the secretary usually, there's a place on there for how many teams you will have and how many people will constitute a team.

However, if you look at CAQ (commonly asked questions) #149 it says that without a league rule a team can have any number of designated or roving subs.

But it doesn't say the team can have any number of designated players. So these are subs. If your league has a rule concerning the qualifications of a sub then I'd think there was a violation there.

That's a good question though because you are right, I didn't see anything addressing the number of players a team can have. You could write bowl.com and see what they say. :-)

Erin

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.