BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40413 - 02/06/07 03:50 PM Great tournament experience
Show300 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 33/M/Bellflower, CA
Well, this past Sunday I bowled in the 6-gamer at Forest Lanes, about 30 min south of me in Orange County. It was well worth the drive to gain some much needed tournament experience. I had bowled this tournament a few months back, but kept running into different things on the weekends that it was scheduled on for the past three months which prevented me from getting down there.

Anyway, there was a pretty decent shot. The guy who runs the tournament told us when we came in that the lanes had been stripped and there was fresh oil on them. There was about 30 ft. of oil and the back ends were wide open. You could give the ball plenty of room and it was getting back to the pocket. Only problem was that with the flying backends, balls were losing lots of energy and there was a lot of tap.

My score was a +26, which doesn't sound great, but the last time I bowled it I shot a -97. My high game was 247, low game 181. My first three game block was a 603 and second was 623. I left a lot of single pins, mostly on the right side (6's and 10's). I made some pretty good adjustments and in the third game opened with the front 6 only to have our lanes break down for about 8 minutes and then promptly throwing my 7th ball through the nose for a 4-6-7 split and never quite recovering and shooting 235.

But all in all, I was more proud of myself for sticking with it the entire time. Some time ago, in the same situation where I'm making good shots and leaving a bunch of single pins, I'd have just given up. But I played every shot like I was still in the race. And shooting the last game, which was my 247, made it all the more worthwhile. Just a good feeling I can take with me to my next tournament and when I go back down there next month.

I also noticed that I didn't have any nerves on Sunday either, which is totally different from the first time I bowled that tournament. Even in league some nights, I get nervous right out the gate, but it wasn't there Sunday. Well, maybe I'm just getting more confident in myself, which is never a bad thing.

And though I have the gift of prophecy and understand all mysteries and possess unlimited knowledge, and have faith which could remove mountains; and have not charity, I am nothing - 1 Corinthians 13:2

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#40575 - 02/08/07 09:57 AM Re: Great tournament experience [Re: Show300]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I bowl in my first tournament of the year this weekend. It's been 6 months since my last, and I am looking forward to it. We entered a team from our Wednesday night league, 5 bowlers, and I have my son coming in from Washington DC to be my Doubles partner, then bowl singles. Oh, he's not just coming in to bowl. He is coming for the weekend, and I scheduled him to bowl. Little league is long gone. So, what else should you do with your son on weekend mornings?
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#40588 - 02/08/07 11:32 AM Re: Great tournament experience [Re: Show300]
Tyveil Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Kansas
Nice Job, Show. I've been bowling in our City tournament this week myself and had good results. Going in with a 176 average my first series was about 550 and second series a 573. Not great but considering my average is down to 167 this year (it's using last years book) and lately I've been struggling to hit 500 consistently, it's not bad. By the way this tourney is on old wood lanes (same ones I bowl league at) and scores are generally much lower than the synthetic lane tourneys I've bowled in.

We definitely have doubles division II locked up as my 573 was 4th highest on the team even though I have the highest average. 6 more games this weekend so we'll see how things go (doubles and singles).

I can relate about the nerves. It was really weird this tourney I felt so calm I almost felt like I was going to fall asleep on the approach. Totally different from previous tourney experiences. I'm sure it helps.. I was a lot more consistent than usual and able to watch where I was hitting, how the ball was reacting, etc.
15# Quantum (Forest Green) - Dry/Wood
15# White Dot - Spares

#40618 - 02/08/07 03:16 PM Re: Great tournament experience [Re: Tyveil]
Show300 Offline
High Roller

Yeah, it was really weird with the nerves. I didn't feel anything. I threw my first ball in practice, made a ball change, an adjustment and from there I just bowled and didn't really think about it.

Anyway, there's another one this weekend that I'm thinking of bowling in...we'll see.
And though I have the gift of prophecy and understand all mysteries and possess unlimited knowledge, and have faith which could remove mountains; and have not charity, I am nothing - 1 Corinthians 13:2

#40622 - 02/08/07 03:50 PM Re: Great tournament experience [Re: Show300]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Our city open tournament just ended. Whew!!!

In Div 1, my doubles partner and I missed low to cash by 5 pins with a 1443 (including handicap). High to cash was 1549

Our team was no where in sight of any placement. High to cash team (4 man) was 2876.

In singles I was in the middle of the pack with 693 (including handicap). High to cash was 826.

I bowled well, but not in the class of those that cashed. Being in Div 1, which was 191 and up, handicapped 80% of 220, made it tough to compete against the 225 - 240 average bowlers.

Erin

#40623 - 02/08/07 03:52 PM Re: Great tournament experience [Re: Atochabsh]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

Congrats Tyveil on great bowling and hopefully cashing and cashing well.

Good going Show on keeping your head together and therefore keeping yourself in the tournament.

Erin

#40638 - 02/08/07 05:48 PM Re: Great tournament experience [Re: Atochabsh]
Show300 Offline
High Roller

Thanks Erin...and too bad about the near miss.

And 693 is nothing to sneeze at, obviously there was a nice shot (or at least someone figured it out) if 826 was high to cash. I think the tournament that I bowled in on Sunday +164 was low to cash. That's about a 227 avg over 6 games. I was at +26, or about a 204...that's roughly about 2 strikes per game off the pace. And as I said, I left ALOT of opposite side single pins (6, 9 and 10). My ball was just losing energy on its finish because it was getting into its roll so early, but I learned for next time what adjustments to make.

#40639 - 02/08/07 06:02 PM Re: Great tournament experience [Re: Show300]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

The shot WAS nice. I bowl league in that house as well and the league shot is harder for me.

But if you want high participation from a variety of association bowlers you have to make the shot attractive. A lot of lower average bowlers were very happy that weekend. If you want a specialized shot tournament then go for it, but we'd have lost overall participation. Same thing would have happened if particular houses in the association had won the bids for lineage.

Erin

#40643 - 02/08/07 06:22 PM Re: Great tournament experience [Re: Atochabsh]
Show300 Offline
High Roller

I understand...that's why I'm a bit skeptical about the tournament I want to shoot this weekend. It's at one of those houses where they lay out the 'house' shot for tournaments. So I know the scores will be high. That's not the problem, because I can hit the shot also, it's just that I don't get any handicap and I know a lot of the low avg/high 'cap bowlers will be there.

Last time I bowled an ABTA tournament there, I lost in the semis shooting a 269. I was up against someone who shot 238 with 38 pins handicap...ouch!!!

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 4 minutes 40 seconds ago
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by Dennis Michael - Today at 01:00 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - Today at 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - Today at 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.