BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39367 - 01/23/07 05:00 PM Getting the ball off your hand clean??
Reggie Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: TX
I guess I get confused when Randy and Norm are talking about getting the ball off of your hand clean...What exactly does that mean??
I sometimes have issues with my ball starting to hook early or not reading the oil correctly and someone said that I was grabbing the ball the the bottom of the swing..

If I was I'm not sure I can feel it or know exactly how to fix it.

Does anyone have any tips, demos or suggestions as to (1. the meaning of getting the ball off your hand clean and 2. correcting early hook or grabbing the ball)

Thanks

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#39376 - 01/23/07 07:57 PM Re: Getting the ball off your hand clean?? [Re: Reggie]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
It means that the ball rolled off their hand fingers first, thumb out last with very little drag or grabbing. Usually when they say something like that they are expecting a good shot, or at the very least close to a strike.

A lot of amature bowlers severely grab the ball at the bottom of the swing during the release, thinking that it helps hook the ball. But in reality it inhibits revs.

Erin

#39377 - 01/23/07 07:58 PM Re: Getting the ball off your hand clean?? [Re: Reggie]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
Well, grabbing the ball is easy to explain. After you release the ball, in what position do you have your hand? Is it in a closed position or is your hand open? If your hand is closed at the end of your follow through, then you are probably grabbing the ball at the end of your release. A good person to use as an example of a clean release is PDW. He must have the cleanest release in the PBA. His hand finishes in an open position after every release. Tommy Delutz also does this. This open finish position is only possible if you don't grab the ball at the bottom of your swing. Grabbing the ball at the bottom of your swing makes the ball react erratically at the breakpoint. Sometimes the ball will jump at the breakpoint because of how much you grab it. If you let the ball roll off of your fingers, you get a more consistent roll. PDW has a clean release. If you've never seen his release check out the Storm website. They have a few shots of him in action that will show his clean release.

On the other hand, Parker Bohn III grabs the ball at the bottom of his swing. Yet he is one of the most consistent bowlers on the tour today. And he has been for quite some time. So it just goes to show you that as long as you can grab the exact same way each and every time then it doesn't matter. The real problem would be if sometimes you grab more than other times.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#39391 - 01/24/07 05:19 AM Re: Getting the ball off your hand clean?? [Re: Smooth Stroker]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I couldn't have explained it better.

You are right, Parker has been successful and struggled at times because he grabs the ball the same every shot when he is on like he is now, or is inconsistent like he was the last couple of years.

The best way to get the ball off your hand clean is to have the ball off your fingers by the time it passes the toe of your sliding foot.

#39392 - 01/24/07 05:36 AM Re: Getting the ball off your hand clean?? [Re: CoachJim]
Reader Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Philadelphia
I do not understand.

I thought my thumb is supposed to come out first, and then the fingers last.

Also, I understood that by allowing your hand to rotate inward(counterclockwise for a right handed bowler) as the ball is released by the fingers imparts revs to the ball. Am I supposed to release the ball with my thumb still on top of the ball? In other words, with the thumb up and the fingers still under the ball?

Edited by Reader (01/24/07 05:42 AM)
MoRich Seek & Destroy 15 lbs (01/30/2007- )
Ebonite Maxim 15 lbs
HG:214
Avg:155

Started taking lessons: November, 2006

#39395 - 01/24/07 06:04 AM Re: Getting the ball off your hand clean?? [Re: Reader]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
You're right. The ball should roll off of your fingers. Your hand then rotates from your thumb pointing at 2 o'clock counterclockwise to 10 o'clock.

Grabbing the ball sometimes can be noticed by your hand over-rotating, or your elbow turning with the hand, and possibly your arm pulling in front of you, rather than reaching out. In each case, it is an exageration of the hand rotation. It is forced, rather than a clean roll.

This will cause your ball rotation to be more toward 90 degrees from straight, then 45 degrees, and tend to turn early. This is difficult to manage.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#39423 - 01/24/07 01:24 PM Re: Getting the ball off your hand clean?? [Re: Dennis Michael]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Sorry I was backwards. I wondered why you were confused, now I know. Thumb first, fingers last.

Erin

#39548 - 01/25/07 03:16 PM Re: Getting the ball off your hand clean?? [Re: Atochabsh]
Reggie Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: TX
So from you example if Parker Bohn, I guess that grabbing the ball at the bottom of the swing doesn't necessarily indicate the length you will get with your shot. Parker seems to be able to get very good length even though he (grabs it)...Any thoughts...

My issue is that someone told me that I was grabbing the ball and yes after practice last night I did notice that my hand is in a closed position after release.

I can't utilize any of the new aggressive equipment it seems due to my ball entering a hook early. It kills me during league to start play at 30 when everyone else is in the track, as they migrate to where I'm playing, my shot dissapears for the night, a typical night of 250, 215, 185, and don't let me bowl the late squad..... HELP

#39576 - 01/25/07 11:47 PM Re: Getting the ball off your hand clean?? [Re: Reggie]
bigwavedave Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 33/M/Seattle
Its weird. I'm a very physics based person. Ball gets spun with X number of revs on it, ball should react the same, RIGHT? No, its crazy, but true. I had a bad habit of grabbing the ball for a long time and struggle with it when I get tired. Grabbing the ball will cause the ball to read the lanes early and you will have more of a banana hook instead of a ball reaction. On top of that your pin carry will increase if you don't grab the ball. You are most likely grabbing the ball for one of a few reasons. The first being an improper fit. If your ball fits well then you are could be tensing up another part of your body which causes you to grab the ball. You are just going to have to learn to be soft with your hand. You want your wrist and and fingers tense so the ball doesn't come off your hand, but not squeezing the ball at any part of the swing.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - 11/19/17 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - 11/19/17 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - 11/19/17 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.