BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39009 - 01/18/07 09:44 PM Grip Question
TheDude11 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Michigan
Hello all, I'm new to the board and I'd like to say that this is one great resource for newer bowlers. I've only been bowling seriously for about 6 months now and I've learned a ton in the past few weeks, just from reading posts here.

Anyway on to the question. I just bought a new ball (Storm Double Agent) and it's definitely a switch from my Storm SpitFire because of the two types of coverstocks. So I have a fingertip grip drilled in both balls, and the spitfire was just redrilled because the shop that I bought the ball from drilled my ball 3/4 inch to short. So I had that ball redone and the guy I took it to did an excellent job. When I got my Double Agent it felt great the first 2-3 games that I bowled, but I noticed over the last 2 weeks that I'm starting to develop a callous on the side of the thumb.

I'm wondering since the same guy drilled both balls why one doesn't do it but the other does, and could this be a sign that I'm not gripping the ball correctly? So this is out there, he used the same dimensions on both balls.

Sorry for the long post smile

The Dude

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#39010 - 01/18/07 10:37 PM Re: Grip Question [Re: TheDude11]
Tomb7us Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 21/m/ohio
Welcome to the board! It really is a great place to get help and learn. Everybody here has alot of good knowledge and is willing to help you out!

As for the grip, i too get a callus, torn skin on the inside of my thumb (by the web part sort of) and i am new to bowling as well about 6 months too, anyhow i did some research on this at some time and what i learned that its not necessarily the grip but more the bevel at the top of the thumb hole.

The hole can be sorta beveled out to give your thumb a smoother release so that your skin isn't getting torn up and putting alot of fricion on that one spot.

I'm sure another will chime in and can give you a better description and some other causes of a callus forming there.

14lb Hammer Black Widow (med/heavy oil)
14lb Hammer Vibe (dry oil)
14lb Maxi! (spares)

#39046 - 01/19/07 01:51 PM Re: Grip Question [Re: Tomb7us]
MrBowler Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: CA, USA
A callous on the side of your thumb is normal. I have had one there since my coach taught me not to grip the ball. You will also get slight callouses on your fingertips the more that you roll the ball.

A lot of it depends on how tight your ball is on the sides of your fingers and thumb. You don't want to be building a big callous, but a small one is not a problem and shouldn't be a problem.

Mike

For everything bowling, see http://www.BowlersEverything.com

#39049 - 01/19/07 02:07 PM Re: Grip Question [Re: MrBowler]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I don't think any callus on your thumb is normal. The callus on the inside/side of the thumb usually means you are turning the ball too early in the release. The one on the top of the knuckle means you are squeezing especially on the downswing.

Erin

#39056 - 01/19/07 02:33 PM Re: Grip Question [Re: Atochabsh]
MrBowler Offline
Action Bowler

I don't think that I turn the ball in my release, maybe I do. I try to keep my hand in the same position throughout the release. Maybe MY thumbhole isn't sized right?

#39057 - 01/19/07 02:37 PM Re: Grip Question [Re: Atochabsh]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Welcome Dude,
Loved you in that movie The Big Labowski. I also have a callous on the inside of my thumb that extends from the about where the top of the nail starts to the tip. Erin may be right in her description, but I was led to believe some callousing was inevitable if you bowled alot. Almost everyone I know that bowls on a frequent basis has them. Now blistering is another matter altogether. That is not natural and could be caused by vast array of reasons, improper grip, squeezing etc. Baseball pitchers get callouses on their throwing hands fingers, guitar players get calloused fingers, why not bowlers.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#39059 - 01/19/07 02:40 PM Re: Grip Question [Re: Tim Gerard]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I have some slight calluses on the finger pads, but my thumb looks like a normal thumb.

Erin

#39061 - 01/19/07 02:44 PM Re: Grip Question [Re: Atochabsh]
MrBowler Offline
Action Bowler

Interesting... very interesting... LOL!

#39079 - 01/19/07 04:20 PM Re: Grip Question [Re: MrBowler]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
My thumb looks normal, but I do have some calussing. Before I changed pitches and shortened my span, I got some light calusing on the top inside part of my thumb (closest to my index finger) that runs from my knuckle to my nail. Since I've changed spans and pitches, I now get a slight callus on the pad of my thumb. It's more towards the side (index finger side) and runs from where the knuckel crease ends, up about a half inch.

But unless you were looking for it, you'd never see it. It's never hurt or cracked or anything like that. It's just very very slightly raised and is hard. I think that with the way my thumb is ovaled, that's the part that the ball comes out on.

EDIT: But more importantly, Erin is right in what she says. You shouldn't see things like this after a couple games. If you do, there's something wrong. If it's only happening with one ball, there's something wrong with that ball.

Edited by Lefty (01/19/07 04:23 PM)

#39109 - 01/19/07 08:36 PM Re: Grip Question [Re: Lefty]
TheDude11 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Michigan
AFter reading and then re-examining my thumb, the callus on my thumb is right at my knuckle and is more towards the inside of the thumb rather than completely on the side. I think that you're all right that it is just probably from rolling more often that I was. I also think that my thumb slug is slightly bigger than the one on my other ball and I'm going to shrink it down a little to see if that's the problem. Thanks agian for the info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Today at 09:25 PM
Made it.
by RGR - Today at 07:56 AM
Ball choice and strategy for Wolf pattern
by champ - Yesterday at 10:15 PM
My Senior League wants to change Houses
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 05:21 AM
tennis elbow
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 03:58 AM
12 pound ball?
by W9JAB - 02/15/18 02:52 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 02/11/18 07:19 AM
Brunswick "The Grizz" Vintage Urethane ball
by nord - 02/11/18 04:20 AM
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
by nord - 02/10/18 03:24 PM
Honor Scores Not Received By USBC
by Mkirchie - 02/10/18 10:54 AM
Competing against high rev, high speed players
by BowlerBill - 02/07/18 09:36 PM
Old bowling ball on synthetic lanes - good or bad?
by Dennis Michael - 02/04/18 03:52 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.