BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38473 - 01/11/07 08:12 PM VIDEO: Feel free to give advice or critiques.
D Money Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: CA

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#38477 - 01/11/07 08:36 PM Re: VIDEO: Feel free to give advice or critiques. [Re: D Money]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
First of all, holy Moses! I haven't seen a Brunswick Astroline ball return in years! Ok, that aside....

Your timing's late. Take a still shot of your 4th step and notice how your ball's still slightly on the ascent ininstead of descent during that step. And the pace of your armswing doesn't match the pace of your feet. In fact, you almost looked rushed. Try slowing your feet down a little bit and push the ball away from your body a little more.

Other than that, everything else looks pretty good. You have good balance and you stay down pretty good, but you could stand to remain down instead of popping up at the end.

The main thing is the tempo. Pace it out a little better and see how that pans out. You should be happier with the results.

#38480 - 01/11/07 10:09 PM Re: VIDEO: Feel free to give advice or critiques. [Re: Brian Longo]
dtownbowler Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Detroit, MI
I agree with brian you start off with a slow pace grab your ball find your spot concentrate, and then rush up to the line. Thats why they call it a game of adjustments.

(Currently Using)
Hammer Black Widow a.k.a the beast
Brunswick PBA Inferno (the wood killer)

#38482 - 01/11/07 10:48 PM Re: VIDEO: Feel free to give advice or critiques. [Re: D Money]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I don't see a timing flaw, your bigest problem is the fact that you muscle the swing back then pull it forward. You need to develop a free swing.

The first thing you need to do is check your grip, the number one cause of a swing like yours is the fact that you can't swing the ball without losing it off your hand, so you start squeezing it to hang onto it which tightens all of the muscles in your arm up to your shoulder which makes your swing mechanical.

To check your span place your thumb in the ball and lay your fingers across the holes, the leading edge of your finger holes should hit in the center between the first and second knuckle. If your span is too long most likely you will have too much reverse pitch to go along with it. Have your grip checked by an Ibpsia certified driller if you can.

You need to be able to swing the ball without squeezing it, tape can help a little, but you will most likely still have to squeeze it to hang onto it. If an Ibsia certified ball driller isn't an option, check your span as I have already described, have the span fixed and put 1/4" more forward pitch in your thumb, if you can get out of it clean, go back and put 1/8 more forward in it, keep doing this until you can't get out of the ball without hanging up, then back off 1/16" DO NOT SHORTEN THE SPAN FROM WHAT I DESCRIBED. If your driller tells you to shorten the span from center of the first and second knucle then you are defeating the purpose of finding your perfect thumb pitch.

Remember the ball should hang on your hand and not the other way around.

Past the swing flaw the only other thing you might want to fix is your slide, you dive way to the right on your slide step which causes you to steer the ball to your target and probably not have it be on line half the time. To fix this slide toward your target with your toe on the approach, if your whole foot is in the air it can go anywhere.

I don't thing you are that far off, get your grip fixed and post another video.

#38487 - 01/11/07 11:28 PM Re: VIDEO: Feel free to give advice or critiques. [Re: CoachJim]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
The other thing that I noticed is that you start the ball in front of your body and it looks like that's causing you to have an inside-out backswing. That means that when the ball comes down from the backswing, you're going to have a tendancy to pull it left.

#38502 - 01/12/07 10:17 AM Re: VIDEO: Feel free to give advice or critiques. [Re: Lefty]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
Let's try it from the top. Here's what I see. There seems to be way to much movement from you during your approach. You start off with the ball in front of you and you look very relaxed. You push the ball away and ease over to the right a bit as you allow the ball to fall into the armswing. The ball seems to go into the armswing pretty easy, but you seem to be pushing everything about you to the right. You start to lean to the right and drift to the right. On one of your shots, you even fell off to the right after the shot, Even though your balance looks pretty good on the other shots. Drifting is not a crime, as long as you drift the same amount of boards every time. ( hey, that rhymed )

Even though your backswing is very easy, You seem to rush into the downswing. You seem to be in a hurry to get to the line. You seem to shuffle step and your arm is left hanging out so you can speed it to the line. This timing abnormality probably causes you to grab at the line and miss your target. I don't know if it's a ball fit issue or just a style issue. Your steps should be in sync with your armswing. You shouldn't walk any different than you normally walk. The step before the slide step should be short but smooth. Your head would be better off if it didn't move at all. Where ever you start out is where you should finish with your head. If you want to lean over to your right, then start out with your head there, lined up over your ball and right foot. Smooth out the tempo of your armswing to keep in time with your steps. You have a pretty good release from what I can see. You post your shots pretty well. You seem to drift way right though. And you seem to grab the ball at the bottom of your armswing.This can cause an unpredictable reaction, where the ball jumps at the breakpoint. Try letting the ball roll off of your fingers. You'll get just as many revs, maybe more.

As I keep looking at this video, I see that you don't have a slide step. You come to a halt at the line. You have a cranker approach but you have stroker/tweener revs.The question then becomes what are you trying to fix? We may be trying to turn you into a stroker/ tweener type and you really are trying to be a cranker. Do you want a smooth stroker/ tweener approach or do you want to plant at the line and fire with late timing?

I just want to say one more thing. In bowling, nothing is set in stone. You can have the most unorthodox approach, not that you do, and bowl well. As long as you repeat your shots.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#38516 - 01/12/07 12:42 PM Re: VIDEO: Feel free to give advice or critiques. [Re: Smooth Stroker]
D Money Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: CA
Ok to respond to what I have heard thus far: I do know that I drift, perhaps even a lot. I have been working to free up my arm swing for a while now, and while I have not seen any change in average either direction, I have noticed my ball speed is up a tad. As far as starting with the ball in front of me on my approach, that is just a comfort/relaxed thing I was going for. I may work on putting it in a set place near my right hip during practice tonight. As one of you said, sometimes I do feel as though my arm swing is going faster than my feet, hence the rushed look to get my feet caught up with my arm so they are all in the right place at release. Not sure how to fix that one as I cannot slow my arm swing because well, I am not god and can't change gravity. And SmoothStroker, I am not really sure what I am trying to fix if anything. I am averaging 207 now and have been over 200 hundred for the last 3 years. I guess I am just trying to get up to 215-230 and need to now fix the little things to get me more consistant. I know I am not a cranker but maybe a stroker on roids. And no, I have never worked with a coach. As far as my head movement if any; it is a tad difficult to be 6'3" and not have some in order to be low at the line and balanced at release. I also know that I do not slide but rather plant. Not sure how to fix this either or actually what benefit it would add to my game. Thanks for your comments so far, I can't wait to hear what the rest of you have to say.

PS- Totally forgot to address the ball fit comment. The ball fit is perfect. It was drilled by a certified driller less than a month ago. Not sure why the video "shows" tht I am gripping or muscling the shot. My entire right arm is relaxed all the way down to my fingers during the entire swing as far as I can feel. If anything it is my wrist that is only using muscles to stay behind the ball as long as possible. Hope this helps.

Edited by D Money (01/12/07 12:56 PM)

#38518 - 01/12/07 12:56 PM Re: VIDEO: Feel free to give advice or critiques. [Re: Smooth Stroker]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I'm with Brian, but I see late timing starting with the very first movement of your first step. You have a 5 step approach, but almost start moving the ball on your third step. With a 5 step approach the first step is a small shuffle or studder step. Sometimes yours is a shuffle and sometimes its much bigger. Then on that second step, you need to move your foot and the ball at exactly the same moment. Think of a wire going down from the ball to the toe of your second stepping foot. That wire should stay straight up and down, perpendicular to the floor. The ball and the foot should move forward about the same distance. I think this creates the whole late timing Brian is talking about. The last video your ball isn't as late and you have better balance. Make sure you push the ball away right with that second step.

What I do see that I really like is your beginning stance. Legs are flexed for movement, you do look relaxed and I like that you make sure you are standing on the right board to start with. Your head is pretty steady. You could get a little bit deeper knee bend.

The balance will be easier when you can get the timing started off better. Also your balance will be easier if you start setting it up with the second to last step. This step should be pretty short and it sets up your finish and balance.

That's what I'd work on first, then get into the follow through and flying elbow at the finish. :-)

Good luck,

Erin

#38520 - 01/12/07 01:03 PM Re: VIDEO: Feel free to give advice or critiques. [Re: D Money]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
If you're 6'3", that's all the more reason to stay down at the line. That in itself might lead you to more consistency.

I, too, have fast feet at times, and my delivery seems rushed at times. The main reason is because I tend to drop the ball from rest rather than push it away. Even though gravity is working like it should, losing that extra 1/2 second in my delivery leads my feet at a quicker pace. That's why I suggested a little longer pushaway. It should negate any inclination to try and speed up your armswing with muscle. I'm not saying you do now, because I don't and can't see it, but it could happen.

And I still stick with my comment that your timing seems a tad late (although I just now realized my error in my first post; I meant to say 5th step, not 4th step. For whatever reason I was thinking 4 steps and not 5). It's not terrible, but again, the longer pushaway might help that as well. It might give you that extra fraction of a second to slow your approach down enough to where when you go into your slide step, your ball is at its apex or coming slightly downward as you get off that 4th step.

And whether or not you plant or slide is inconsequential. I don't get all caught up in a slide versus plant debate unless someone is experiencing pain. As long as your timing is the same, you have good, consistent balance, and as long as you can leverage your shots, it doesn't matter if you slide or not. When you get up to the level you're at, it's a matter of tweaking parts of your existing game to get the best possible results out of your game, not trying to redefine it.

These things seem minor, but they could make a big difference. Sometimes it's the little things that really make or break an approach and affect your shot.

#38524 - 01/12/07 01:55 PM Re: VIDEO: Feel free to give advice or critiques. [Re: Brian Longo]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
I also think you're forcing the ball through the bottom of your swing as you deliver the ball. That probably has something to do with you popping up and falling off balance. Think about this: If you walk up to the line without swinging your arms and decend into your finishing position, are you going to fall over? Probably not. Then what causes people to be off balance? It's the fact that they try and force the ball and that pulls them off balance.

I've always fought a similar problem so I have expierence with it. You rush your arm and in conjunction, rush your feet. What seems to help some times is to almost think about decelerating your arm as you get to the point of release. Then you have to make sure that your feet wait on your arm.

About the steady head, I don't think the expectation is that it doesn't move at all. But it should only lower about the amount that your hips lower, and it shouldn't move from side to side or up and down. If you watch your head, it makes some jerky motions near the release, and that again probably has something to do with forcing the ball through the delivery. The most consistant of those head movements seems to be pulling up as you throw the ball. Again, that's a sign that you're forcing the ball.

And about the ball position at the start, some people walk around the ball, and you seem to do that some of the time, but it doesn't appear to be consistant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 04:35 PM
End of Days
by explorer05 - Yesterday at 12:19 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.