BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38339 - 01/10/07 03:28 PM Re: Tourney questions and concerns [Re: Atochabsh]
Show300 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 33/M/Bellflower, CA
They used to have a sport bowling tournament on Thursday nights at one of the houses in my area. It lasted for about 6 months, but then participation dwindled. I guess people just didn't like struggling. I bowled it several times and always felt I fared pretty well. My high game was a 234, which actually won me a pot one night, and a low of 147. On our sport shot, the backends were terribly dry. It was always a matter of getting your ball through the oil on the front and hitting the right target so that when it hit the backend that it didn't roll up and go through the nose.

But if you overthrew the shot, it would skid through the oil and not recover at all. If you didn't have good mechanics and couldn't target, you'd just be frustrated for 4 games.

I liked the challenge and like Erin noted everyone is bowling on the same conditions, so the field was pretty even. No one was ever able to master it or become too proficient on it. Some games you had it and some you didn't.

That was also over 4 years ago for me, and at the time I had only been bowling about 2 years at best. So knowing what I know now, I'm sure I could fare even better.

Edited by Show300 (01/10/07 03:30 PM)
And though I have the gift of prophecy and understand all mysteries and possess unlimited knowledge, and have faith which could remove mountains; and have not charity, I am nothing - 1 Corinthians 13:2

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#38874 - 01/17/07 03:07 PM Re: Tourney questions and concerns [Re: Show300]
D Money Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: CA
RESULTS:

Ok so I went in to this tournament with confidence and high hopes. "How different could a sport pattern be?" I thought to myself. After 5 minutes of practice I was still confused as ever. I thought that if I could just find the right line that I would be ok. How difficult could that be? Turns out, WAY more difficult than I thought. I spent three games trying to find a line. I tried inside, the ball never came back. I tried throwing straight up 5 and 10, either didn't come back or went through the nose. The weirdest thing was that if I threw up 7, it wouldn't make it back to the pocket. If I threw up 8, it went brooklyn.

Long story short, 5 splits the first game and a whopping 485 series later, I am pretty sure I finished dead last. I was completely lost. I talked to another guy on my lanes about how I just can't find a consistant line, and he said thats the thing, there is no consistent line. Add in the fact that I had to come in using my current league average of 206, that gave me all of 6 pins a game of handicap. When I left, the leader was at +68, with a 668 series. That means I would have had to shoot a 650 scratch just to match that. Not that that is too tall of an order, but on this day it was.

To sum up, I can't really tell you how much different the Sport Pattern is because I still have not figured it out. It is kind of deterring though to go in there and bowl that bad. Especially when I looked at the other bowlers and 90% of them were not that good IMHO. Just frustrating. I don't know if I will bowl another tournament. Part of me wants to go back and try to figure it out, the other part want to just say screw it and save my money.

#38879 - 01/17/07 03:49 PM Re: Tourney questions and concerns [Re: D Money]
Show300 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 33/M/Bellflower, CA
Those are the ups and downs of bowling, DMoney. Some days you're on it and some days...well, you're just not. But deciding that you're not going to spend a little money to compete in any more tournaments is not the way to go. Trust me, I've spent $50 on entry fee, $100 on brackets and sidepots and left with a $150 lesson in bowling. It's just the nature of the game.

Practice working on shot repetition...that's the best thing you can do on a sport shot...if you can find a way to get to the pocket, then try to do it consistently. For me, ironically, shooting the corner pins is the way I work on a consistent arm swing. I know that I have to go straight across the lane at it with my spare ball. Then when I'm on a difficult shot, I just focus on mechanics and hope that it will tell me where to play the lanes. But it happens to even the best...bad days are just that, bad days and nothing more. It's not the end of the universe and the world will still be spinning on its axis when you wake up in the morning, God willing.

Last night, I had one of 'those' nights in my league...one lane was hooking, on the other just skidding out. After games of 189, 161(ugh!!!), one of the guys on another team who I talk to alot to asked me to consider moving further inside. It's not my most comfortable playing area. I like being able to go between 9-13 and out to about 4 back to the pocket. I pride myself on being somewhat versatile, but I do have a comfortable zone where I'm almost untouchable.

'What do you have to lose?' he said. Nothing I figured, so I moved 12 boards right from 21 to 33 and didn't my ball get outside of 13 board the last game. Result...267, front 6, left a 7 pin and back 5...crazy. Read that again...a 12 board move in one game, just to get my ball to react on the left lane. And I was throwing 2 different balls in the last game. And I hate doing that.

It happens...all you can do is practice and come back the next night or tournament or whatever. But giving up, that's not the move...stick with it, bowl more tournaments. Trust me, the experience will help you down the road.

Edited by Show300 (01/17/07 03:53 PM)
And though I have the gift of prophecy and understand all mysteries and possess unlimited knowledge, and have faith which could remove mountains; and have not charity, I am nothing - 1 Corinthians 13:2

#38880 - 01/17/07 03:55 PM Re: Tourney questions and concerns [Re: D Money]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Welcome to Sport Shot Bowling. It's different isn't it? Afterwards, could you tell what the pattern was? or did you ask someone? Just curious. When I bowl tournaments, I usually ask the proprietor about the shot. Some will tell me. Others say, oh it's just a sport shot. That means, look out.

I watch the PBA every week just to see what shot they have, and to watch how the pros play it. It is also interesting to see how they adjust when the oil changes. Sometimes, one of the pro commentators will talk about a ball change or position change and why. You can really learn from this.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#38881 - 01/17/07 04:03 PM Re: Tourney questions and concerns [Re: D Money]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Quote:

The weirdest thing was that if I threw up 7, it wouldn't make it back to the pocket. If I threw up 8, it went brooklyn.

It sounds like you did have a line, and that line was to hit 7 and throw the ball the same way every time. Now no one is going to hit their mark every shot, but from the sounds of the scores, no one ran away with it either. Do you know what the cut was? I'm betting no more than around even. What would it have taken for you to shoot even? Pick your spares and get a double here or there?

Don't get discouraged by this. It's your first exposure to a more challenging shot and now you know what it's like. The name of the game on a condition like that is accuracy and repetition. I'm not sure how you took the feedback you got with your video, but the crux of what people offered all went to those two things. Those things will make you more accurate and make your shots more repeatable.

I can tell you from expierence that there's no better feeling than making several shots in a row, splitting the same board, throwing the ball the same way and getting a strike on a condition like that.

#38911 - 01/17/07 07:26 PM Re: Tourney questions and concerns [Re: Lefty]
D Money Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: CA
The cut on Saturday was at +35 and on Sunday it was +19 and then +66. I was at -108 with no help from handicap. The winner got 41 pins a game of handicap and shot 542 scratch. At least I will get more pins for free next time. I will probably bowl another one soon. Thank for the responses.

#38919 - 01/18/07 05:44 AM Re: Tourney questions and concerns [Re: D Money]
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
I expect similar results as you D Money. I've only bowled a few no tap tournaments for fun with good results. This year I want to get experience in any and every tournament I can afford, pref. scratch tournaments but I'll take what I can get. I don't expect to do well at first but I do expect to give it my best and rely on what I know. Don't let this set back stop you from entering other tournaments, you gained some good experience which hopefully you'll put to good use next time out.
Storm - Natural

#38932 - 01/18/07 10:35 AM Re: Tourney questions and concerns [Re: Silent Mike]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
D Money. Probally some good Experiance though eventhough i didnt turn out as you hope it would. I feel like bowling a tournment i have not bowled one since i was in Juniors and made my return to this sport in august and been bowling good as late. I used to love Tournement the atmosphere and stuff was so much fun. I gotta enter one later this year for the fun of it.
BowlSk: Stats

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Arthritis?
by 82Boat69 - Yesterday at 09:43 PM
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.