BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#36642 - 12/12/06 03:26 PM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Tim Gerard]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
You can also do low ball where you get a 0 if you strike.

You can also do a 10 pin or 7 pin competition. See who picks up the most. Make them bowl an entire game of 10 or 7 pins (for lefties). Its good practise.

You can do a doubles competition where the highest bowler is paired with the lowest bowler.

As for the kids that need balls and their folks don't show up....write a note and send it home with the kid or mail it to them. That way you can explain to the parents why its so important to have the right ball for the bowler. Its terribly frustrating to try to learn something with inferior equipment.

Erin

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#36645 - 12/12/06 04:11 PM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Atochabsh]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Orange County, CA
Great point, also maybe try to get your Pro Shop person to help out. Maybe some sort of discount pre arranged for your kids if their parent get them set up with proper equipment.

Maybe also you could do some sort of fund raiser if the money is just not available from the parents.

#36668 - 12/13/06 08:46 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: SoCal Jeff]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Thanks Erin and Jeff,
There is a Pro Shop in the center and a discount has been arranged and in place. Most of the bowlers told me they were getting a ball for X-mas, so thats great.
We had a productive practice yesterday, as we get closer to the season the kids are starting to get their "game face" on so to speak. We are doing fundraisers to aleviate some of the cost for the clinic, and to pay lane fees for the practice. I am learning something new everyday, its a work in progress.
Thanks for the help.!!

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#36699 - 12/13/06 02:45 PM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Tim Gerard]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Orange County, CA
Eraser,
Last night my coach from college drove down to watch my league. There a 6 of us in this leage that he coached at different times at the same college. I had not seen him in 15 years and it was great - talking about old times.

My point, he touched alot of lives and you are doing the same - keep up the great work!

#36803 - 12/15/06 10:59 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: SoCal Jeff]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks Jeff,
This is alot more work than I anticipated, I can only hope that I have the same positive effect on these kids that your coach has obviously had on you.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#37683 - 01/03/07 11:36 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Tim Gerard]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

Friday is our first test. Match play for our team begins this week , Friday, with the clinic on Saturday. The kids seem excited about the upcoming season and the clinic. There are a few who I question their commitment. Oh well, we shall see. (Deep breath)... Here we go.....

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#37687 - 01/03/07 11:59 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Tim Gerard]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Good luck, Eraser. I would stress fun and sportsmanship over winning at that level. If you have both of those, the ones who are seemingly less committed may come around. Once some of those kids find out that bowling can also be a "social sport", they might enjoy it more and want to come back even better prepared mentally the next time.

#37697 - 01/03/07 02:22 PM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Brian Longo]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks Brian,
Thats the plan. Just do your best, have fun and whatever happens , happens.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#38221 - 01/09/07 09:44 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Tim Gerard]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

Well the season has started with so so results. We had one meet where we just got pounded pretty good, but the one last night was much better. This was the first meet we had after we went on our little 4 hour clinic "field trip". The kids really enjoyed the clinic and were very receptive to what was being taught to them. Its so much easier to instruct them after they have seen themselves on video tape. You have no idea what you look like,or what flaws you need to work at untill you see them for yourself. The kids got kick out of seeing themselves and their teammates on the "big screen". Practice again today to try and reinforce what they learned. This is kinda fun..I'm glad I got involved. I still need to find a ball for one young lady. She uses a house ball and she struggles with it. Mom don't want to spend the money to get her a new ball, so I'm looking into a old ball to have drilled for her. So far the ones I have found are to heavy for her. Its a shame because this girl tries so,so hard..and when she makes a spare or an occasional strike she gets so excited. I wish Mom knew how much of handicap it is for her daughter to overcome.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#38226 - 01/09/07 10:22 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Tim Gerard]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
Eraser,
I have old Pearl Red Hammer Lite, i believe it urthane ball 12 lbs that my mom use to use until i got her a new ball for Christmas laying around. I give it for free.

It probally needs to be refinished or polished though.

BowlSk: Stats

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - Yesterday at 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.