BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#36446 - 12/08/06 08:47 PM Re: Scout Reactive by Columbia 300 [Re: Cam]
Cam Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: Minnesota
One more thing for Brian - should one clean ones ball? I read about the soak in soapy water method to remove oil on the ball. I have never done more than wipes down with a towel at the alley.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#36449 - 12/08/06 09:23 PM Re: Scout Reactive by Columbia 300 [Re: Cam]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Clean it as much as you'd like. The soap and water method should be used after heavy use, but there's no harm in using it once a week if you'd like. It's like anything else - the more you maintain it, the longer it'll last.

#36460 - 12/08/06 10:17 PM Re: Scout Reactive by Columbia 300 [Re: Brian Longo]
Cam Offline
Junior Coach

Originally Posted By: Brian Longo
Clean it as much as you'd like. The soap and water method should be used after heavy use, but there's no harm in using it once a week if you'd like. It's like anything else - the more you maintain it, the longer it'll last.

I have never washed a ball. I guess it can't hurt. But I have a degree in polymer science and I can't see what damage could arise from an unclean ball. I can understand the beating they get being dropped and hit against pins could result in cracking. Besides they don't get that dirty. Depending upon the polymers used there might be an issue with oil permeation (thus cleaning would be good), I will have to ponder this more.

At least it is not a crazy idea. Sometimes you have to check these things you find out on the internet. Thanks again.

#36463 - 12/08/06 10:24 PM Re: Scout Reactive by Columbia 300 [Re: Cam]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: Cam
Besides they don't get that dirty. Depending upon the polymers used there might be an issue with oil permeation (thus cleaning would be good), I will have to ponder this more.

At least it is not a crazy idea. Sometimes you have to check these things you find out on the internet. Thanks again.

You wouldn't believe what kind of dirt and dust piles up on a lane, especially if it hasn't been dressed in a day or two. Oil is a natural magnet for airborn pollutants, and even has a level of static electricity to it (because it's being applied with a lamb's wool or phenolic buffer) which enhances its magnetism for pollutants. Even after 3 games, there is a small level of "crud" in the oil from transfer off of everyone else's unclean balls and any pollutant in the air. Unless you've run a liner duster down a lane, it only appears that the lane is clean.

And the soap and water method is a tried and true method. I've done it to my equipment with decent results, and other people's equipment as well with no damaging effects. As long as you use 120-140 degree F water, and not boiling water, you're not damaging the chemical or molecular composition of the ball's coverstock.

#36510 - 12/09/06 05:24 PM Re: Scout Reactive by Columbia 300 [Re: Brian Longo]
Cam Offline
Junior Coach

You wouldn't believe what kind of dirt and dust piles up on a lane, especially if it hasn't been dressed in a day or two. Oil is a natural magnet for airborn pollutants, and even has a level of static electricity to it (because it's being applied with a lamb's wool or phenolic buffer) which enhances its magnetism for pollutants. Even after 3 games, there is a small level of "crud" in the oil from transfer off of everyone else's unclean balls and any pollutant in the air. Unless you've run a liner duster down a lane, it only appears that the lane is clean.

And the soap and water method is a tried and true method. I've done it to my equipment with decent results, and other people's equipment as well with no damaging effects. As long as you use 120-140 degree F water, and not boiling water, you're not damaging the chemical or molecular composition of the ball's coverstock.

I went to a Pro Shop and got the Columbia Wrath, to pick up next week. Thanks for all the advice, it helped.

Does the soap type matter. I saw some comments about a particular soap (somthing "Green"). I would assume any liquid soap would be adequate.

Just before we bowl (around 4:30 pm) they are running a machine up and back on each lane. What is going on? Is this the "dressing" you mentioned and is this the same as applying oil to the lane? Or just a touch up?

#36512 - 12/09/06 05:40 PM Re: Scout Reactive by Columbia 300 [Re: Cam]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

Any degreasing agent will work; Simple Green, Greased Lightning, Purple Power, or plain old dishwashing liquid like Dawn, Joy, etc. Just make sure you use enough water to dilute the solution.

When you see the machine running, yes they are "dressing" the lanes. What they're doing is stripping off the old oil (and dirt) and applying oil for the league that night. Most bowling centers have a machine that both strips and oil the lanes. The unfortunate few have a walk-behind lane stripper and an oiling machine.

I hope the Wrath works out. Those old TiBoss cores were the cat's meow in their day.

#36516 - 12/09/06 08:02 PM Re: Scout Reactive by Columbia 300 [Re: Brian Longo]
Cam Offline
Junior Coach

Any degreasing agent will work; Simple Green, Greased Lightning, Purple Power, or plain old dishwashing liquid like Dawn, Joy, etc. Just make sure you use enough water to dilute the solution.

When you see the machine running, yes they are "dressing" the lanes. What they're doing is stripping off the old oil (and dirt) and applying oil for the league that night. Most bowling centers have a machine that both strips and oil the lanes. The unfortunate few have a walk-behind lane stripper and an oiling machine.

I hope the Wrath works out. Those old TiBoss cores were the cat's meow in their day.

The device at these lanes is operated by a box connected via a cord to the unit, but the person stands on the approach. It spans from gutter to gutter and moves up and back one time for each lane (if I recall correctly). Good to know. Explains why my already weak hook needs the new ball.

#36858 - 12/17/06 01:30 PM Re: Scout Reactive by Columbia 300 [Re: JD Wills]
MADDOG` Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Oregon
We'll have to discuss this before league on Monday, JD!

Basically, the Scout Reactive is an entry level ball with some hook and a mild weight block. Here's the Columbia website info:

http://www.columbia300.com/gear/balls.cfm?bid=97

You'll notice the hook rating of 30.

The Jekyll is a higher hook ball than your Scout. Here's the Columbia website info:

http://www.columbia300.com/gear/balls.cfm?bid=193

You'll notice the hook rating of 37.

I have a Columbia ActionMax I just purchased from Dean @ Park Lanes and it has a hook rating of 63. Here's the info:

http://www.columbia300.com/gear/balls.cfm?bid=204

(sorry, my post didn't bring in the links correctly. I'll work on that. You can cut and paste the url's into your browser.)

The website has a great compare feature you might want to use.

Both of your balls will work at Park Lanes and it's just a matter of what speed, rotation and mark you use. I've noticed that you use quite a bit of speed, sometimes you start in the middle of the approach and that you tend to skid past the pocket. If you slow that Jekyll down a bit, move to the right 3 to 5 boards with your feet and use the first arrow as your mark, you'll find it will come back to the pocket.

Let's talk on Monday!

Michael

Edited by MADDOG` (12/17/06 01:33 PM)
Edit Reason: goofy url problem - my bad.

In The Bag:
Storm XTreme
Columbia 300 Messenger Titanium
Columbia 300 ActionMax

#36871 - 12/17/06 05:24 PM Re: Scout Reactive by Columbia 300 [Re: MADDOG`]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

Using hook rating to compare balls within one company is ok, but not every company uses the same scale, so you run into problems when comparing Columbia balls to, say, Storm or Ebonite. The better way is to use RG and differential to compare from company to company.

Again, since you're comparing, well, "apples to apples", hook rating is ok. As soon as you start comparing "apples to oranges", you need to use a better method. Nothing's perfect or exact, but learning RG and differential will be the best way to compare from one company to another.

Just a tip for future comparisons.

#36883 - 12/17/06 07:58 PM Re: Scout Reactive by Columbia 300 [Re: Brian Longo]
MADDOG` Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Oregon
I agree, Brian. You'll notice that the hook potential comparisons were all Columbia products, which would be an "apples to apples" comparison. I've found that each manufacturer has different ways to compare balls from one another and that would not be as good a comparison.

Went to the bowling alley today and met up with JD. We spent some time talking, I offered a few tips on starting position, marks, speed and rotation. I think I may have done my team a disservice! He's catching on and I'm sure we will be bowling against his time a few more times before winter league is over.

oops!

In The Bag:
Storm XTreme
Columbia 300 Messenger Titanium
Columbia 300 ActionMax

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.