BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 68 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 67 68 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#36296 - 12/07/06 01:20 AM Re: What's your bowling pet peeve? [Re: Scott Gannon]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Show300
I guess you would have called me a sandbagger, but I really wasn't.
After the first three weeks of bowling on Wednesday, I carried a 143 average. On itsown that could be believeable, but, I am at 202 on Monday, and 205 on Friday, all in the same House. Yeah, the Wednesday people who know me talked about sandbagging. There were no real accusations, but it did come up in conversations. So, I know some were thinking it. For whatever reason, I was having trouble, but only on Wednesday. I am, as of tonight, back to 187. But I have to average well over 600 a night to get back. Will I reach 200? I will try.

I haven't ever seen anyone that I would suspect sandbagged in the 3 years I have bowled. But, then again, I think the leagues I bowl in don't help a sandbagger. Most of the prize money is for individual achievement and bracket payouts. There is more prize money for top bowlers, games, series, then for first place team. and when you add the bracket money, you are bowling against 4 other bowlers each night, and can win additional prize money. And the lowest in the bracket gets zilch for the night. So, I guess this stops sandbagging.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#36301 - 12/07/06 07:38 AM Re: What's your bowling pet peeve? [Re: Dennis Michael]
Camper4lyfe Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 26/m/Rocheser, NY
We can't mention sandbagging within our team because one of our members gets upset. Her dad sandbags in league for low tournament averages (isn't that typical?). 3 of the 4 of us have a problem with it.

I mention it jokingly to other teams because they always seem to have their best nights against us. Last week in the 3rd game, each of their bowlers was at least 10-20 pins over thier averages. It was all in good fun, and everyone knew it. That's just the down side to 100% handicap leagues.

Edited by Camper4lyfe (12/07/06 07:39 AM)

#36317 - 12/07/06 01:53 PM Re: What's your bowling pet peeve? [Re: Camper4lyfe]
Scott Gannon Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 51/M/California
We have a team member who gets all tied up in knots over averages and handicap. In all fairness through 10 weeks, 30 games, there is only one bowler on one team that I would consider a sandbagger. At the end of the day a lot of people just have that one night or in some cases one game that is well above their average. That one bowler who I suspect of sandbagging in 10 weeks raised his average from 95 to 137. I always tease one of my teammates of being a backwards sandbagger as he went from 169 to 138.
Fall 2013-14-League Average-178, HG-228, HS-631

#36325 - 12/07/06 02:48 PM Re: What's your bowling pet peeve? [Re: Scott Gannon]
Camper4lyfe Offline
League Bowler

I'm actually surprised that no one has accused ME of sandbagging. My scores have leveled off as of late, but in the past, my scores usually cover a range of ~100 pins through 3 games (I could go from bowling a 240 one game to bowling a 140 the very next). I guess with a 180 avg, sandbagging isn't as big of a concern.

#36339 - 12/07/06 04:59 PM Re: What's your bowling pet peeve? [Re: Camper4lyfe]
Black Jack Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 16/Male/Britland
My pet peeves are:

1= High average bowlers refusing to talk to the low average bowlers, like it's not "cool" to be seen with them.

2= This is a weird one, people who get really enthusiastic when they strike and start yelling. It puts other people off and really annoys me.

And lastly 3= Bowlers who muck around when they're doing badly as opposed to trying to work their problems out.

"The main element of my technique is power, power and luck... lots of luck"-- me

"For Christs sake, bowling is easy just knock all the pins down!"-- me coaching

#36354 - 12/07/06 09:14 PM Re: What's your bowling pet peeve? [Re: Black Jack]
Camper4lyfe Offline
League Bowler

Originally Posted By: Black Jack
And lastly 3= Bowlers who muck around when they're doing badly as opposed to trying to work their problems out.

I can quite often be found by the back wall with my eyes closed, taking a step and swinging my arm. It all starts with visualization, right?

#36443 - 12/08/06 07:32 PM Re: What's your bowling pet peeve? [Re: Show300]
Roy Offline
Junior

A/S/L: Denver
Originally Posted By: Show300

...women who wear tight clothing/short skirts to bowl in...

Humm didn't even make my top 100000000 pet peeve's. laugh

#36444 - 12/08/06 07:46 PM Re: What's your bowling pet peeve? [Re: Mousetek]
Scott Gannon Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 51/M/California
Same here. What would be ideal would be if they said "Do you mind if between games we take a 5 minute smoke break?" At least then you could go to the bathroom, get something to drink, go do whatever you want instead of waiting there because you do not know where they went or when they will be back.
Fall 2013-14-League Average-178, HG-228, HS-631

#36456 - 12/08/06 10:02 PM Re: What's your bowling pet peeve? [Re: Mousetek]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

We don't have this problem, since smoking is not illegal. This has to add extra time to bowling nights. I know when I smoked, I could have one cigarette lit for up to three times up. You can't wait that long to bowl.

Our alley was asked to have a non-smoking night for bowling. The house dedicated Thursday as non-smoking day, all day. They signed 2 non-smoking leagues on Thurs night. Last night, I went there to practice, just hoping to get a lane. I walked in after 8 PM. The place was empty. A 16 team league is down to 7. A 10 team league all quit. And with the published smoking ban, no one goes there. 32 lane house, and only 8 being used in prime time on Thurs.

I know bowling alleys in Chicago are losing business to close by suburban alleys that allow smoking. An alley in a nearby town announced that it would be non-smoking for this fall. Half of the leagues left. Our House wanted to ban cigars, 2 leagues walked out. A compromise brought them back.

I can't see how this works. It's easy to get practice lanes.

And, in terms of just walking out. While I am writing this, my house phone rang, and rang. I went to answer it, and found my wife gone. She just left without saying anything. Don't know where she is. She doesn't smoke, so she is not standing outside the door.

#36459 - 12/08/06 10:16 PM Re: What's your bowling pet peeve? [Re: Mousetek]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

We don't have this problem, since smoking is not illegal. This has to add extra time to bowling nights. I know when I smoked, I could have one cigarette lit for up to three times up. You can't wait that long to bowl.

Our alley was asked to have a non-smoking night for bowling. The house dedicated Thursday as non-smoking day, all day. They signed 2 non-smoking leagues on Thurs night. Last night, I went there to practice, just hoping to get a lane. I walked in after 8 PM. The place was empty. A 16 team league is down to 7. A 10 team league all quit. And with the published smoking ban, no one goes there. 32 lane house, and only 8 being used in prime time on Thurs.

I know bowling alleys in Chicago are losing business to close by suburban alleys that allow smoking. An alley in a nearby town announced that it would be non-smoking for this fall. Half of the leagues left. Our House wanted to ban cigars, 2 leagues walked out. A compromise brought them back.

I can't see how this works. It's easy to get practice lanes.

And, in terms of just walking out. While I am writing this, my house phone rang, and rang. I went to answer it, and found my wife gone. She just left without saying anything. Don't know where she is. She doesn't smoke, so she is not standing outside the door.

Page 5 of 68 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 67 68 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 02:32 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 09/23/18 10:56 AM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 09/12/18 08:37 AM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 09/07/18 04:48 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 09/05/18 04:25 PM
Off-Spot Rule and Pinspotter Operation Question
by BOSStull - 09/01/18 06:43 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.