BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#36149 - 12/05/06 12:39 AM Bowling Gods are against me
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Well, I have been having some difficulty of late. Got into a bad habit that I can't stop. Last Friday, I tried a new line to help. It didn't really work as well as I wanted. But, I tried it again tonight in league.

The shot was there. All I had to do was find it and use it to my advantage. First game, came in high 3 times for split opens. But, struck out in the tenth. Then game 2 started. One strike, two, three. I felt it coming back. My problem was gone. Four, five, six. Confidence is building and the ball is rolling. Seven, eight, nine in a row. Finally, I have beaten this problem. Tenth strike in a row. Then the unthinkable. The rack came down and stayed there.

The laneman worked on it for 10 minutes. The House manager suggested that we change lanes. I said NO. And, my teammates said NO also. So, we waited. Another 20 minutes for a temporary fix. After a half hour wait, it was time for me to bowl again. I tried to compose myself and remember what to do. But, again I came in high for an 8 spare. 288.

What would have happened if I didn't have to wait? Was my timing off because of it? Could I have done it? Was 300 there, and the Bowling Gods took it away?

We had to move to another pair for the third game. And, I looked back at our original lane, with the rack down, just wondering what could have been.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#36150 - 12/05/06 02:13 AM Re: Bowling Gods are against me [Re: Dennis Michael]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
What would have happened if I didn't have to wait? Was my timing off because of it? Could I have done it? Was 300 there, and the Bowling Gods took it away?

Who knows. But I had the first 10 one time and my ball came back with large chunks of lane sticking out of the rubber finger grips. I took it immediately to the Pro Shop manager, who extracted them and had to reglue the grip and pieces of grip back in. By then I was up again and they were waiting. Needless to say I didn't strike.

I also had the first 7 one time, threw a ball right up to the ceiling tiles. Thought I was gunna take one out. But the ball crashed onto the lane and wondered down to take 9 out. I got the spare.

Basically you cannot live on "what ifs". You don't know what would have happened. Sure the lane mechanics are out of your control. But so is so much in the game. So try not to dwell on it.

I also bowled on the wrong lane for strike #8, had to rebowl, went to the 12th ball (actually 13th) and left a 7 count. Stuff happens. You just can't dwell on it. You have to go on knowing you did your best, under less then an ideal situation.

You bowled great. YOu figured out a condition and you excelled. That feeling of confidence when you were on those 8, 9, 10th strikes.....replay that in your mind for a few minutes each night while its still fresh. DO NOT GO SO FAR AS TO GET TO THE LANE ISSUE. Just think about how free it felt to bowl those strikes.

Erin

#36153 - 12/05/06 06:22 AM Re: Bowling Gods are against me [Re: Atochabsh]
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
Poor luck for sure but you could have easily hit the pocket and left a ringing ten pin OR a pocket 7-10, 4-9, fast 8 who knows? I've had the front 8 through 10 numerous times and through no fault of anyone but my own I fell short even on great shots. Sure it's disappointing but more importantly you found something that worked and if you can stack the front 10 this time you can do it again. Congrats on the 288.
Storm - Natural

#36156 - 12/05/06 08:47 AM Re: Bowling Gods are against me [Re: Silent Mike]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Erin, as usual, you're right. I didn't blame anyone. But, the thought was in my mind and I vented here. The confidence continued into the next game. But, the new lanes were a little different. 220 something and high 690. I don't recall because the 11th ball wait did bother me.

Thanks Mike, I will try again on Wednesday on the dreaded blue wall lane No. 32.

We did win 5 from the first place team, now 1 point behind them. We did shoot the highest game with handicap in game two, with 1245. I was 90 over and our 113 bowler was 55 over. The only game we lost was where I shot a 178 and he shot 92.
My league is 90%/210. We beat a good team last night. Here are our averages.
US THEM
201 213 (201 is me)
180 208
150 204
149 197
113 168
They are a family team. 197 Father, 3-200+ sons, and a cousin. Good sports even though they lost 5 of 7 to us.

Erin, I can't believe you almost hit the ceiling tiles.

Edited by Dennis Michael (12/05/06 10:09 AM)

#36172 - 12/05/06 11:26 AM Re: Bowling Gods are against me [Re: Dennis Michael]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Twice I've almost hit the ceiling tiles. But I have actually seen someone do that and take a few down.

The more you get into that position of high scoring the more it comes back. It will not be the only time you have 7 or 8 in a row, front 8 or otherwise.

Are you currently averaging 188 or under? Because if you are, you should have filled out an award form for 100 pins over average.

Erin

#36176 - 12/05/06 11:42 AM Re: Bowling Gods are against me [Re: Atochabsh]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
A little off the subject, but I tossed a ball into the lane next to me and actually took down pins.( I think I left a bucket). The look on the bowlers face in that lane was priceless. "INCOMING" lol. All due to a sticking thumb, and we had to have a mark to win. Oh well, Like Erin says stuff happens. You have to learn to let it go. Something that I struggle with all the time, its not an easy thing to do.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#36201 - 12/05/06 06:04 PM Re: Bowling Gods are against me [Re: Dennis Michael]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
We had to move to another pair for the third game. And, I looked back at our original lane, with the rack down, just wondering what could have been.

When you moved, were you able to play the shot the same way? If not why not, too upset about the missed oppertunity, understandable, just wondering if next time you have the same thing happen if you should or shouldn't move?

#36205 - 12/05/06 07:17 PM Re: Bowling Gods are against me [Re: CoachJim]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
At least you were moved to a lane with oil. When I was bowling in the North Carolina Men's State Tournament about 8 years ago in Winston-Salem for singles and doubles, I started out with the front 4 in the first game and all of the sudden water began leaking onto the approaches. I looked up, and there was a bucket sitting on the scoring monitors above the approach. Apparently they weren't emptied prior to us bowling.

We were bowling next to an empty pair, so we were moved there, however, this pair wasn't oiled. We asked the manager and the tournament director to have the lanes dressed but they refused to do so stating that running the machine would disrupt the other bowlers who were in the vicinity. Needless to say, not one of us shot over 200 on the spotty conditions and we all bowled under protest. We sent off a letter of protest to the North Carolina Men's State Associaiton, and eventually, because the state association upheld the tournament director's decision (which I figured they would), ABC stating we bowled under conditions that weren't uniform to what everyone else was bowling on and eventually received our entry fees for singles and doubles back. The refund check came with a not-so-polite letter. wink

#36214 - 12/05/06 08:14 PM Re: Bowling Gods are against me [Re: Brian Longo]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Lefty, I had that pair nailed. Lane 25 was 1 board different than lane 26. I was outside the normal path of the other better bowlers, and had that line to myself. They were working inside to 10. I tried 20 to 5, and was coming in strong. 10 picture perfect strikes. Not one variation. The half hour delay caused me to miss my routine and I didn't let it out enough, missing my spot by a couple of boards to the left, and hitting high. Next time, I will also stay on the original lanes til the end of the game because I know the lane condition. But, I probably will practice walk the approach swinging to remember my tempo and rhythm a couple of times before I really throw. Its not enough to check your spot, wrist and focus on your line. Speed and timing are important too.

When we moved, all were expecting a shadow ball on each lane, but didn't get one. Is that something that we missed? Another bowler thought we put that condition in our agreement with the alley, but we couldn't find it. So, we started off feeling our way. This pair showed tougher for all. The worn in lines were different. Still scored well, but, the carries on the first alleys ended up to be 7 and 8 pin leaves on the next.

So, is a shadow ball on new lanes routine, or something that has to be negotiated in the league contract?

PS: Because of our delay, the House offered all of us a free drink from the bar. We ordered a pitcher of Coke and a Pizza instead. The manager was surprised and asked us if we heard her correctly. "It's a bar drink", she said. We said, "Coke and a Pizza, we don't drink". 'Thanks'.

#36248 - 12/06/06 10:13 AM Re: Bowling Gods are against me [Re: Atochabsh]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
Twice I've almost hit the ceiling tiles. But I have actually seen someone do that and take a few down.

The more you get into that position of high scoring the more it comes back. It will not be the only time you have 7 or 8 in a row, front 8 or otherwise.

Are you currently averaging 188 or under? Because if you are, you should have filled out an award form for 100 pins over average.

Erin

Erin? Is this you? wink

http://my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=185426

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by 6_ball_man - 12/08/18 10:50 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.