BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#35612 - 11/21/06 10:09 AM Tips 4 a 1st time coach
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
I stated in an earlier post that I was asked to coach a high school team. This team would not have had a season if someone did'nt step forward and take this on. So another person and I have done just that, but we are both new to coaching. I have coached little league, but never bowling. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Also how does someone start the process of becoming a certified bowling coach?

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#35613 - 11/21/06 10:39 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Tim Gerard]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
If you go to bowl.com you can then go to the tab coaching. It will start you off in the right direction on getting certified. You need to first go through level 1 class. Then the optional level 2, for those doing mainly youth. Then on the Bronze.

I have not really coached a team but I would imagine its like coaching any other team. You work on teamwork, communication within the team and support for teammates in good or bad.

I know in the Bronze class we were told to always keep everything positive, even critisism. No "that's not the right way" or "that was not very good try again". Rather, "there's a better way to do that" or "you did X very well, lets try to do Y".

Erin

#35617 - 11/21/06 01:30 PM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Atochabsh]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
If you have more than enough to fill a lineup for a particular match/game, then it's also wise to know who matches up well on what condition, who's your clutch bowler, who's your "spark" bowler, etc. Get a feel and understanding for these types of bowlers so you can make the best lineups possible. No different than a baseball manager who has to figure out if you keep a lefty batter in to face the lefty pitcher.

#35624 - 11/21/06 02:46 PM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Brian Longo]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

First practice is tonight, anxious to see what we have.
I'll try and keep it fairly simple, and try not to mess them up too bad early on. Just let them bowl , and offer advice later.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#35625 - 11/21/06 03:23 PM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Tim Gerard]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

The more you're talking the less you can observe. Let them have fun and keep an eye out for the marginal bowlers.

#35641 - 11/22/06 03:16 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Tim Gerard]
okorimbo Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: 86,male,SF Bay Area
Getting through the USBC Coaching program as Erin said is the way to go. However, since the schedule of classes might not work out well just now, you might get a copy of Bob Strickland's book "Teaching Bowling."Published by Leisure Press, ISBN number is 0-88011-356-1. Although it was published in 1989, the principles are basic and valid. It would be a good introduction for you as well as making the USBC stuff more meaningful when you take their courses. He gives outlines of class drills,etc., and a way to explain things to students. Just remember Brain's comment that they should have fun. And, remember also that all bowlers are not alike and will have diffrent needs and styles.
Okotte

#35647 - 11/22/06 08:34 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: okorimbo]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

I hear ya Okorimbo,
Having fun should be # 1, If its a fun endeavor for the kids,I feel they will be better bowlers. If its a pressure packed environment it can sour their enthusiasm for the sport. Believe me thats the last thing I want to be, is a blow hard forcing my will on them.
Thanks for the info on the book too,its off to Barnes and Noble I go.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#35649 - 11/22/06 09:15 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Tim Gerard]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

As a coach at the level you're working with these kids, you should be an "information gatherer", in that I mean you should be keeping notes (mental or written) on your bowlers. In essence, on the day of the matches, you are actually a "manager" because you're not exactly teaching them about the game, but rather making sure you have people in the best possible lineup (there might be some minor coaching going on, but really, you have a limited amount of time to make adjustments). In practice time, you need to be a "coach", working with their game and trying to get them to maximize their results.

If you have kids who've grown up through the youth leagues, your main concern with them might be in the range of subtle adjustments like minor timing issues, minor release adjustments or confidence building. Get them to try different lines, work on spare shooting, etc. A great game is "low-ball" where the object is to pick off only the 7 or 10 pins. A gutter ball is worth 10 pins and a strike is worth 10 pins and they have to roll again. Like golf, the lowest score is the best score.

For others who might not be as advanced, you might have to work on them more in regards to timing, footwork, and their armswing. The key for lower average bowlers is to get them to a point where they can repeat their approach and armswing with some semblence of consistency. You cannot worry about results at the pins with these guys as if they can't get to the line the same way, it's just luck after they release the ball.

That's why I say you need to be an "information gatherer". Find out who can do what, who are your more consistent bowlers and who ar the ones that need work. It won't take all that long to figure this out. What might take a while is helping the ones who need the serious help.

In the end, though, just be a "cheerleader". High fives and pats on the back and the occasional consolation will bring up everyone's spirits and will make them want to work hard for you. Again, my bowling coach was no bowler, but because he was always positive and did his best to keep our spirits high, I always worked on my own to get better to not only please myself, but to reward him for all the hard work he put into coaching.

#35953 - 11/30/06 09:44 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Brian Longo]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

We started working with the kids this week , and for the most part they are very receptive to any suggestions. "Little sponges" so to speak.
I had an idea to load them all up on a bus and take them to see my coach and her partner, who is also a certified gold coach. They would present instruction in 4 hour clinic, including video tape analysis. Of course we have to sell it to the parents, but these two coaches have offered to do this at a very resonable price. I guess I have to "sell" it to the school also, since they would have to transport the students via bus.

We should be able to field a pretty good girls squad, they look good, good form ,follow through etc.,most of them bowled last year, but alot of the boys are first timers and need some work.
I thought it would be a great way to reach them all, with some professional instruction by some former pro bowlers.
What do you think...good idea or a little to ambitious.?

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#35958 - 11/30/06 10:36 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Tim Gerard]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Orange County, CA
Eraser,
It sounds like a great opportunity for the kids and for you. Since you stated you are a first time coach, the kids would get instruction from an experienced coach and you can watch how instuction for kids at there level are coached at the same time.

Like you said, you've got to sell the parents and the school, but I say good for you. You're not putting your ego (I'm the coach, the only coach) in front of the kids best interest.

Sounds like a win/win to me.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:21 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by champ - 07/22/19 05:30 PM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - 07/21/19 07:26 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.