BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#35960 - 11/30/06 10:48 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: SoCal Jeff]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Sounds like a great idea if you can pull it off. If you cannot get the school to transport, ask the parents if they would assist in transportation. Make sure each kid brings a notebook so they can take notes.

Erin

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#35961 - 11/30/06 10:51 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: SoCal Jeff]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Thanks Jeff,
I thought that the pro's could lay the ground work, and I could help later on during practices and competition, reminding them of the things they learned during the clinic. Like I said the girls look good ( took state last year ) but they could be even better. The boys need the basics, but they have potential. Just not sure how the parents will feel, shelling out more $$$. We will present it to them and see.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#36184 - 12/05/06 01:22 PM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Tim Gerard]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

Looks like our little field trip is a go. The kids seem real excited as am I. We just have to tie up a few things, and it will happen right after the holidays.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#36218 - 12/05/06 09:31 PM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Tim Gerard]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

That's fantastic!!! This is a huge opportunity for these kids. You might also start prepping the idea of private lessons too. Along with some cautions about how making changes sometimes makes you score worse before it gets better. But they need to have an open mind when they go there and have fun.

Erin

#36247 - 12/06/06 10:10 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Atochabsh]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks Erin,
I think so too. Some of these kids are very inexperienced and never bowled in any competition, so this should help immensely.
Being a rookie coach its been tough trying to instill good practice habits, its not just eating french fries and kabitzing with your friends. I don't want to preach to them and lose them altogether, so hearing what I am trying to say, from former pro bowlers and certified gold coaches can only reafirm the message.
Plus they present it in a way that I cannot do, video tape etc. And then I have kids that are experienced, and have pretty good mechanics that are very receptive to suggestions. They will only be better for it.
This coaching thing isn't going to be easy, but I feel it will be rewarding in the long run.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#36250 - 12/06/06 10:51 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Tim Gerard]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Orange County, CA
Eraser,
Good for you getting this set up. As far as coaching not going to be easy - true - but it sounds like you stepped up when nobody else would. I bowled in college and it was a great experience. Our coach always kept things interesting by doing drills and telling stories about his past competitions. He was always on lanes - I mean up on the approach - watching, really watching. We knew he really wanted us to do well. He never preeched, always coached. And we NEVER kept score.

That was 20 + years ago and I still do the same drills he tought us, and I NEVER keep score in practice.

He had a huge impact on the bowler I am today - and I am glad he stepped up to help - just like you. Have fun!

#36629 - 12/12/06 08:54 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: SoCal Jeff]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

What are some good drills I can have the kids do at practice. Like I said in an earlier post , we have a few kids that are treating practice as a social event. I need something to get these kids interested. Most of the other bowlers on the team are "veterans" that bowled on last years team and understand the importance of practice. We also have a few that are using old balls from their dad, uncles etc. that don't fit them. I have told them,(in a nice way)that they would bowl much better with a ball that was'nt plastic, and one that was fitted just for them.I even suggested a used inexpensive ball.. They don't seem interested in changing. I know you can't force them but...

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#36635 - 12/12/06 10:52 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Tim Gerard]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

When kids go out for track, football and other sports it is expected that they have the proper equipment, like shoes and clothing. Even if you take geometry, you are expected to have the right equipment like a protractor, compass, pencil. A bowling ball of the correct weight drilled for you would be considered the correct equipment IMO, for this class.

Now since this program is so new, you probably cannot be too critical. However, I think it will come to requiring practise that is constructive and equipment that fits you or you don't get on the team or asked back next year. If this is now a class, you can select from this group the most promising kids for the team.

You might things change after Christmas. Perhaps some will get bowling balls for the holidays.

Erin

#36638 - 12/12/06 11:08 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: Atochabsh]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Orange County, CA
Eraser - How long are your practices? You know how kids loose focus very fast.

When I bowled in college - our coach, as I stated earlier was pretty hands off - but that was college. You have younger kids so I would consider running it like practice for any other sport - break it up.

Warm up - Everyone bowls regular - Everyone stops and watches one bowler and talks about technique - Play a game of Low Ball - let them watch you bowl and crituque you - print pictures and diagrams off the internet and show form, balance, delivery - have goal setting sessions to find out what each kid really wants to get out of this - lots of other ideas but I'm getting long winded.

Of course I'm not suggesting doing everything every time - just pick a couple.

I think it's important to bowl as a group just so much of the time and pull kids aside for one on one time.

Oh yeah - & have fun

#36639 - 12/12/06 11:31 AM Re: Tips 4 a 1st time coach [Re: SoCal Jeff]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

Erin ,
I hope some will get bowling equipment for X-Mas. I know one kid is getting a new Black Widow, but he is a pretty good bowler already. Its just difficult showing a proper release etc. when the ball falls of their hand. They look at me like...see that don't work.. they don't realize a better fit is 100% better than what they have. Parents are not present either so you can't mention it to them.

Jeff,
Our practices are about an hour and a half long. I think today we will do a bakers type match or two, towards the end of the session, boys vs. girls. A little freindly competition.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by wronghander - Yesterday at 11:58 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 05/17/19 09:17 PM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/13/19 02:12 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.