BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#36087 - 12/02/06 10:56 PM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: Toddfather]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
First all PBA Major tournaments are bowled on sport patterns. Second the Cheetah pattern quallifies as a sport pattern, it is easier than some other patterns because it is heavy oiled up front with a short length, only 35ft which gives a well defined break point. Most top players only have to get the ball outside of the 5 board to strike, where as the Shark pattern you have to get the ball on the 11 or 12 board at the break point to strike.

They are starting a Sport league at Bowl America Bull Run in Manassass VA starting Tuesday Jan 16 at 6:30 it is only going to be 10 weeks and have 3 patterns cost is $15.00/night and $9.00 for sport sanction fee.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#36116 - 12/04/06 10:15 AM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: Toddfather]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Quote:

An oil pattern that is the same length and ratio at each center from Florida to Washington played simultaniously will definitely create a level playing field for all.

Not really. Look at the scoring pace for different PBA events that use the same pattern. They're using the same oil and the same machine, so the only variable is the lanes, and the averages vary greatly.

#36119 - 12/04/06 12:55 PM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: Lefty]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
But it would be a start compared to the variations seen across the country with Sport Conditions.

Erin

#36155 - 12/05/06 08:33 AM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: Atochabsh]
Lefty Offline
Legend

I agree. I'm excited about the PBA leagues, but I'm not sure that anyone locally is going to want to run them. The one place now that puts out a sport shot and 2 different non-house shots isn't liking the idea. The GM doesn't want to have to go through the hassle of trying to get a new shot to tape correctly every week. That is an understandable issue with how they intend to change the shots every week. Maybe we'll modify the shot rotation so we bowl on each shot for consecutive weeks. I'd rather not, but sometimes reality trumps the ideal.

#38179 - 01/08/07 08:13 PM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: Lefty]
Lefont Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 35/M/Atlanta
hey guys,

I have a PBA Experience league starting next monday in my neighborhood. I wanted to hear different opinions. I'm a 170 bowler, if I get into this league will it help my game at all or would I be very lost and willing to quit right away?

I'd appreciate your honest opinions.

MoRich Awesome Hook - 14#
MoRich Total Shock & Awe - 14#
Brunswick Ultra Zone - 14#
MoRich Sahara - 14#

#38187 - 01/08/07 08:37 PM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: Lefont]
Lefty Offline
Legend

You have to go in with the right expectation. As long as you do that, you'll be fine. If you go in expecting to score what you're doing now, you're going to be dissapointed and want to quit. If you go in knowing that it's going to be more difficult than what you bowl on now and that you're going to have to work hard on repeating shots and being accurate, then you'll be fine.

It's hard to say how much you should expect to drop, because I think that there's a larger drop at higher averages, but I don't know how it tapers down. You should expect up to a 20 pin drop though.

#38190 - 01/08/07 08:51 PM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: Lefty]
Lefont Offline
Bracket Donor

That's ok. I think I can deal with that. I was thinking my average could drop up to 50 pins or so... My expectations would be to learn something out of it. And that in turn it can be applied to my regular game.

MoRich Sahara - 14#

#38193 - 01/08/07 09:48 PM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: Lefont]
Lefty Offline
Legend

Can you give me an idea of how you play the lanes now? I can give you an idea of what you shold expect when you first bowl on this..

EDIT: Also, if you know what patter you're going to be bowling on, it might help too..

Edited by Lefty (01/08/07 09:48 PM)

#38196 - 01/08/07 10:20 PM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: Lefty]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
The point of bowling on these patterns is that they are difficult. But, IMO, they do not make you a better bowler. The experience will let you know what you need to work on i.e. speed control, consistent hand release, foot work consistency etc......., if you know how to interpret those differences in your game already. But the league will not tell you which problem you should tackle first or if you are actually improving on one skill and not getting worse on another.

Leagues like this (Sport and PBA Experience) are illustrators. They show you that you are not as accurate or consistent as you think. But they do not infuse you with the ability to deal with those inconsistencies. The best experience I have had along these lines was a two day clinic I went to where we also had CATs analysis. We had 6 different sport coniditions to bowl on and over a dozen certified coaches to help you adjust and manage the conditions. A toutored Sport experience that was much more educational then when I played a Sport league. When I bowled a Sport league I was also bowling in two house leagues. My average dropped in every league I was currently bowling in. After the fact I found that this was common. Depending on your personality, this can really get into your head. At the time I did it, I did not have as strong a mental game then as I do now. And I still need to work on that. But I've also participated in a wider variety of bowling situations since then.

I also think that that the higher average you are, the more you have a tendancy to average lower on these conditions.

Erin

#38198 - 01/08/07 10:33 PM Re: PBA Experience Leagues [Re: Lefty]
Lefont Offline
Bracket Donor

I usually start my practice standing at 17 board. I throw at 10 board with a moderate amount of revs. I usually move left as it dries up all the way to 22.

Sometimes when all else fails I throw down and in from the 5 board and I adjust speed.

MoRich Sahara - 14#

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.