BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34789 - 10/25/06 09:32 AM Ball Burn out/Track out
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I posted under another topic that I have a ball that is flattening out. Others here identified this problem as possibly Roll out. I have read up on this ball and there are some statements that the ball could be experiencing what is called 'Burn out' or some call it 'Track out'.

Are these all the same?

Another report suggests when a ball Burns out, the coverstock is gone. Its life is over. Can anything be done to salvage this ball?
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#34792 - 10/25/06 09:41 AM Re: Ball Burn out/Track out [Re: Dennis Michael]
Chaos Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 19/Male/Virginia
have you had it resurfaced?

Line up:

14 lb Ebonite Infinite One (Heavy Oil/Pattern 5 & 1)
14 lb Storm Special Agent (Tournament/Pattern 2 & 1)
14 lb Columbia Action Max (Heavy/Pattern 5)
14 lb Brunswick Power Groove (House Shot)
14 lb Storm Jolt (Light Oil/House Shot)
14 lb Storm - Soccer Ball (Spares/No Oil)

#34794 - 10/25/06 10:05 AM Re: Ball Burn out/Track out [Re: Chaos]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

In response to:
Poster: Chaos
Subject: Re: Ball Burn out/Track out

have you had it resurfaced?

Got the ball in June. Had it resurfaced in early September before leagues started. It just doesn't have the same finish as it used to.

I bowl 4-5 times a week, and use this ball often. Over the summer, I would bowl almost daily. I carried the ball with me in my car. When I would pass an Alley, I would stop and bowl. I probably have a full year of normal use in 4 months.

Here are some comments from literature I have read on this ball.

Dislikes: That it can leave a solid 10 pin on good solid pocket hit.

I find this lately when I noticed it flattening out.

Dislikes: It died after about 3 months even though I cleaned it constantly. Tried everything Brunswick suggested to bring it back to life, but nothing worked. Finally gave up and used a green scothbright on it. Does fairly good that way, but for over $200 I want better than fairly good.

Hope this isn't against the rules.

Edited by Dennis Michael (10/25/06 10:15 AM)

#34795 - 10/25/06 10:13 AM Re: Ball Burn out/Track out [Re: Dennis Michael]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
What ball is this and what's the surface at? Also, how often do you clean it?

#34796 - 10/25/06 10:24 AM Re: Ball Burn out/Track out [Re: Lefty]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Well, since I mentioned it on another message, I guess I can say it again. If the Mods don't like this, delete it.

It is a Scorchin Inferno. 600 grit surface OOB. I clean it after each use.

Okorimba, on this board thought it might be Roll Out, due to oil or lack of on the back end.

I was a little disturbed when I read some others having trouble with this ball.

Sorry Lefty, you were the first to mention it.

Edited by Dennis Michael (10/25/06 10:29 AM)

#34798 - 10/25/06 11:01 AM Re: Ball Burn out/Track out [Re: Dennis Michael]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
If you get it refinished and you like the reaction, then that's all it takes. I have my equipment touched up about every other week. That way nothing drastic has to be done with it. Our Pro Shop only charges like $3 to $5 this way, if the surface is not too trashed. But if you let it go too long, the price goes up because the labor involved in getting back to the condition you want it increases.

Keep in mind the when you use a ball as you've described its like putting 100,000 miles on your car engine. The old rubber balls never really had to be kept up like this. But the balls of today are nothing like those oldies. They require the frequent maintenance of a Ferrari. And you probably wouldn't tinker with your Ferrari in your own garage either.

Erin

#34799 - 10/25/06 11:17 AM Re: Ball Burn out/Track out [Re: Atochabsh]
Lefty Offline
Legend

I also think that the rougher the surface, the more they need to be touched up. I imagine the ball looks a heck of a lot shinier now than it did when you got it. Between it soaking up oil and it being polished by rolling down the lane and by the ball return belt, it's probably well past time to have it resurfaced.

I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but I find that balls that are surfaced with less than 1000 are difficult to keep reacting consistantly. They seem to need much more frequent sanding.

#34800 - 10/25/06 11:20 AM Re: Ball Burn out/Track out [Re: Atochabsh]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

I guess this ball is turning into a high maintenance one. I will get it refinished this weekend. That's 2 times in four months. But as you say, if I put a lot of mileage on it, it takes more frequent maintenance.

Thanks Erin

PS: Do you know if the terms roll out, burn out and track out are really the same?
I've known bowlers who scrapped balls by calling them burn outs.

#34805 - 10/25/06 12:43 PM Re: Ball Burn out/Track out [Re: Dennis Michael]
Lefty Offline
Legend

I've never heard of track out. "tracked up" maybe. But not track out.

Tracked up means that there's a lot of wear and tear on the track of the ball. If you look at it, you'll see a lot of nicks and scratches. A resurface should get rid of most of it.

To me "burned out" means that the ball is just shot. They don't last forever, and after a while, cleaning and resurfacing just doesn't bring back the performance. So that's what that phrase means to me. Someone else might have a different interpretation though.

#34807 - 10/25/06 03:28 PM Re: Ball Burn out/Track out [Re: Lefty]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Tracked and Burned out mean the same to me. Friction has caused the track to be worn into the ball. When this happens, the ball needs to be resurfaced. Eventually if you use this ball for years and years (like the Blue Hammers and Rhinos) it will get to the point where you cannot get every single scratch out of the track. So there will always be marks on the track. This can be a good thing if you want earlier roll.

What usually kills balls is core seperation and severe cracking (like cracking in 1/2). Otherwise you can use it and use it and use it. Doesn't mean the performance will stay the same, but you can stil use it.

Erin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - 7 minutes 57 seconds ago
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.