BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34743 - 10/23/06 08:00 PM Re: Weber Cup 2006 [Re: vmehra]
7string Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 33/Male/Glasgow, UK
I had the privilege of being in Barnsley to watch this competition. The atmosphere was electric !!

To see these guys close-up was a real education. Also, as well as giving congratulations to the US Team, the way they handled themselves during the whole weekend with great dignity and sportsmanship (especially captain Tim Mack) should also be applauded !!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#34803 - 10/25/06 12:22 PM Re: Weber Cup 2006 [Re: Frostbreath]
Graham Hales Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 47/male/UK
We were lucky enough to see your star players at this event in the UK. Half-way through it was all United States, with Europe playing only for pride we thought. Then a tremendous comeback, eventually taking the lead having won nearly ten matches on the trot. Down to nerves, luck, guts, Europe needed to win one of the last two games, US won them both, couldn't have been closer.

Tommy Jones, Chris Barnes and Jason Couch were impressive, both in attitude and ability. Koivuniemi, playing for Europe started badly, having lost his balls on AirFrance, ended as the best player probably. UKs Paul Moor started with a 300, then a 277, ought to have a go at being a pro.

If US had lost not sure what who you would have brought in for the next one. It was a match you couldn't afford to lose really, but would have done so gracefully, your players were so respectful.

Well done, hope you managed to see it on the TV over there. Very late finish in Barnsley, the journey home was awful, only because of the weather, not the result. Congratulations, hope to see more stars from America next time, a privilege to see them this year.

#34814 - 10/25/06 07:23 PM Re: Weber Cup 2006 [Re: vmehra]
Black Jack Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 16/Male/Britland
Yeah, it was really great. If the pro's keep doing it I doubt Europe will ever win it again, I thought the USA did fairly badly all considering.

Edited by Black Jack (10/25/06 07:25 PM)

"The main element of my technique is power, power and luck... lots of luck"-- me

"For Christs sake, bowling is easy just knock all the pins down!"-- me coaching

#34865 - 10/27/06 12:28 PM Re: Weber Cup 2006 [Re: Black Jack]
Graham Hales Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 47/male/UK
I think what I saw gave everyone hope. Bit like watching Tiger Woods in the Ryder Cup, not what was expected, not the golf god he seemed to be, especially his first shot this year. Europe don't have much more up their sleeves, guess US do. If Tommy Jones is the best, then the rest are not too far behind. Nerves can do strange things, he got better as the matches went on.

When I started bowling about ten years ago Tim Mack stood head and shoulders above most I was able to see (amateurs only), he hooked the ball more, bowled faster, had a more aggressive attitude. Now, he is joined by many, not so unique anymore. Asian players, although strokers, seem to be better than most. Jason Belmonti is as good as anyone. Paul Moor by far the best in Europe and I would say as good as anyone in the world. Guess it is up to America to get him over there to test him out, throw him against the best there and see how he does. Bit like boxing, all well and good having all those titles, only worth anything until pitted against the best around. Remember Lennox Lewis, he was nothing until allowed to fight the best in America, and look what happened. I guess it is a draw between him and Paul Moor, one-game-each, joint world-champions... until next year.

What I would suggest is America inviting all the best amatuers they can find to try out against your best, see how they do, a sort of world series. I'm waffling now, time to go. If it did ever happen it would be brilliant to see on TV over this side of the pond. We never, ever see your best bowlers. I had not heard of Tommy Jones, thought it might be Tom Jones of Delilah, [censored] Bomb fame (Tom has more hair so I know it wasn't him!)

#35168 - 11/07/06 05:25 PM Re: Weber Cup 2006 [Re: Graham Hales]
Black Jack Offline
League Bowler

Tommy Jones was for me the best player to watch, technically very sound for a cranker and a real education in how a cranker can still have great fundamentals and a smooth style with minimal force. Watching Paul Moor was great, although I bowl in the same league as him every friday and he's never THAT impressive, however he seems to be much better under pressure in my opinion. I still think he should give the PBA a go for a year or so.

"The main element of my technique is power, power and luck... lots of luck"-- me

#35298 - 11/11/06 11:21 AM Re: Weber Cup 2006 [Re: vmehra]
marissis Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: male/34/london
the match was great, but i have a question, do you think the match was fixed? only when we were there we overheard an official say "it would be funny if it went down to the last game"
and this was on day2 morning. have been told that previous matchroom games has been fixed?what do you think?

#36095 - 12/03/06 02:33 PM Re: Weber Cup 2006 [Re: Frostbreath]
Black Jack Offline
League Bowler

I actually think that it might've been fixed... in retrospect some of the players missed spares at awfully convenient times.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.