BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34501 - 10/16/06 01:41 PM Change from a stroker to a tweener or cranker?
Rookie Roller Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 34/M/Washington
I have been bowling now for about 4 months using a stroker style. I have learned 3 different releases to help me in different situations: a flat release for spares, a simple 45 degree release for a down and in shot, and a release with more hand action to put maximum revs on the ball.

Normally, during league I play the simple down and in shot, but last night I couldn’t buy a pocket hit and struggled all night. Desperate in the 10th of my last game, I decided to try something different and switch to the release with more revs. I also started my approach much closer to the foul line so that my steps would be a little slower.

Several people were watching me as I sent my ball over the 17 board to about the 7 board and then back into the pocket 3 times in a row to finish with a turkey and a win for my team.

Now one of the key things that I did differently was start my push away much lower and kind of pulled the ball back to the top of my swing instead of using a higher push away and letting gravity get me to the top. Honestly, I felt like my targeting was much better along with my balance and leverage at release. I felt like I had much more control than my normal stroker style.

So is this considered to be tweening and could I continue to develop this style? What are the differences between a stroker, tweener and a cranker? Has anyone changed their style from a stroker to a tweener or cranker?

I really liked how it felt to release the ball in this manner but I’m not sure if I should continue to try and develop it or not. One of the guys at my alley told me that you can’t teach yourself how to “tween” or “crank” and that you must be coached…is this true? Would it even be worth it for me to learn?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#34513 - 10/16/06 06:09 PM Re: Change from a stroker to a tweener or cranker? [Re: Rookie Roller]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
One of the things that I've noticed is that a lot of people have a lot of difference ideas about how to define stroker, tweener and cranker.

Can you describe what you think a stroker style is, and how that's different than what you did? Because to me, there are some key fundimentals that trancend all styles. I'd focus more on the fundimentals rather than trying to fit into a "style". I've personally never tried to bowl a ceritian way and I really don't know what category I fit in to.

So to summarize: Fundimentals = important. Stroker, Tweener, Cranker? Not so much.

#34514 - 10/16/06 08:16 PM Re: Change from a stroker to a tweener or cranker? [Re: Lefty]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Most people who see me wouldn't know to call me a cranker or a tweener. I call myself....me. smile Trying to idealize yourself as one category only sets yourself up for a fall. I know, I've been there. My dad is a stroker - low revs, no muscle, perfect pendulum armswing and slow ball speed - and he tried to get me to bowl like him for years. I couldn't do it, because I physically couldn't do it and because I didn't want to do it, and it frustrated the heck out of me to try.

Some people's bodies are more adept at revving the ball, some aren't. If you try to build your game around a "categorical aspect" that your body can't deliver, then it's no use trying. I can, upon command, rev the ball to match most crankers, but my accuracy dips quite a bit because of the excessive muscle I tend to put into the ball trying to rev it. So why bother? If I can shoot 600 on most nights with "tweener" revs and a high amount of accuracy, then that's what works for me and that's good enough for me.

I actually classify my game in the "Norm Duke/Brian Voss" category as I can play a good part of the lane and score pretty well from a lot of angles. They certainly have better B and C games than I have, but to that end, they get a whole lot more time to practice those alternate games than I do. I use my noggin to score, rather than muscle, because that's what works. Nobody can look at Duke and Voss and say what they do doesn't work. 47 titles between the two of them speaks louder than words.

If you feel that the extra bit you put on the ball works for you, fine, just make sure you're not entering any extra muscle into the equation else you'll create bad habits that'll take longer to break than they were to learn. Find a style that suits you, not one that suits a category. Labels are very subjective.

#34515 - 10/16/06 08:24 PM Re: Change from a stroker to a tweener or cranker? [Re: Brian Longo]
Rookie Roller Offline
Junior

First of all let me say that I truly am a rookie bowler and may at times use terms or ideas incorrectly and for this I apologize. My earlier post talks about styles but that’s really not the issue. What I really want to discuss is revs. Last night’s final frame was different because I put a lot more revs on the ball than my normal shot. I was also able to get myself into a better position to create leverage and combined with a stronger release, I was able to create a greater reaction when the ball hit the pins. I liked it and I’m thinking about changing my style and release from that of my normal down and in shot, but I would like to know the pros and cons of using more revs.

#34516 - 10/16/06 08:39 PM Re: Change from a stroker to a tweener or cranker? [Re: Rookie Roller]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

If you created more leverage then it sounds to me like you actually got "down on the shot", which is to say you had a knee-bend that was over your toe and your body was in perfect alignment. If you can remember how you made those three shots, from initial setup to your release, then work on that delivery. The key is always to keep out excessive muscle in your game. Just like a baseball or golf swing, if you're overswinging, you won't be accurate and you won't hit the ball as far as you could if you used a "freer" swing.

Since you are just starting out, the key is to feel comfortable in your approach. What that feels like to you, I don't know. We're all different, and what works for me most likely won't work for you, but you will know comfort when you feel it and the results will manifest themselves on the lane (much like they seemed to the other night for you). Stay loose, but not sloppy. Stay firm, but not tight. Those are the parameters you're looking for right now.

#34525 - 10/17/06 08:03 AM Re: Change from a stroker to a tweener or cranker? [Re: Brian Longo]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
My concern would be that your "stronger release" was you trying to over power the ball and not actually getting better leverage. The reason I say this is because from my expierence, it's easier for beginning bowlers to score better by "gripping and ripping", but that's not really a good long term solution. As Brian said, you don't want excessive muscling. If possible, you don't want any at all.

If what you're doing involved a loose and relaxed armswing and a loose and relaxed hand, then I'd say you're on the right track.

#34545 - 10/17/06 06:37 PM Re: Change from a stroker to a tweener or cranker? [Re: Lefty]
Rookie Roller Offline
Junior

Now that I think about it both of you are right.

For one, I was a little lower to the ground than normal. Should I continue to do this as part of my delivery?

For two, chances are pretty good that I was gripping the ball. I know that in the past, I've had people tell me not to do it but, I don't always know that I'm doing it ... especially when the pressure is on. So how do I know if I'm gripping the ball or not? Are there any good drills I could use to train myself not to do this?

Thanks.

#34546 - 10/17/06 06:54 PM Re: Change from a stroker to a tweener or cranker? [Re: Rookie Roller]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

You want to stay as low as you possibly can without losing your balance. A deep knee bend allows you to stay behind the ball better and concentrates more power through your armswing.

As far as grip practicing, that's a toughie. You might want to wrap something around the largest part of your forearm (a towel, an ace bandage) that's snug when your arm is relaxed (about 4-6 inches below your elbow). If, throughout any part of your swing, you feel that wrap get extremely tight (like tourniquet tight), then you're using excessive grip force to hold onto the ball, and thus aren't as relaxed as you should be. A good benchmark before you start throwing to get an idea of the right tension with the wrap and the wrong tension with the wrap is you take your middle two fingers and your thumb and tap them together. A slightly snug feeling should be felt at your forearm (proper grip pressure). Then make a fist and squeeze, and that wrap should feel like it would cut off your circulation (excessive grip pressure).

By nature, there will be a little tightness in that wrap because your body will feel the need to squeeze the ball. After all, it is a 15 pound foreign weight in your hand, but the idea is for your "mind" or "body" to squeeze the ball subconsciously, not for you to squeeze it consciously. Just like a baseball, if you overqueeze the ball, it does not always come out the same way every time when you throw it.

#34555 - 10/17/06 10:19 PM Re: Change from a stroker to a tweener or cranker? [Re: Brian Longo]
luisistaz Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 49/male/Tijuana, Mexico
As Lefty well said, get the fundamentals first, and a good knee bend is part of those fundamentals, Brian also echoed those sentiments, telling you not to overpower the ball. Those and other pronciples are the ones you have to master, your style will develop, and as Brian said, what style will you have?...yours and yours alone. Keep practicing, get a coach to help you, it's well worth it. Good Luck Rookie.

#34563 - 10/18/06 02:16 PM Re: Change from a stroker to a tweener or cranker? [Re: Brian Longo]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: Brian Longo
You might want to wrap something around the largest part of your forearm (a towel, an ace bandage) that's snug when your arm is relaxed (about 4-6 inches below your elbow).

oops I don't know what I was thinking, but I meant to say 1-2 inches below the elbow. I must've had my head in my coffee mug too long.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 04:35 PM
End of Days
by explorer05 - Yesterday at 12:19 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.