BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34433 - 10/13/06 05:15 PM Wrist support (revisited) ****
Tyveil Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Kansas
Ok.. several months ago (3 or 4 or so) after much debate and tips from helpful folks like you all on this forum, I decided to lose the wrist support I've been using for 6+ years. At first my wrist felt like a limp noodle and my average dropped drastically. Over time my average has been slowly rising and I'm now throwing without the wrist support just as if I'd never used it...

... Almost. I am still not getting the revs or consistency I did when I had the support on. I guess you could say I'm growing increasingly frustrated at the dropoff of scores. I'm back to where I'm shooting a 200 pretty much every week (which is a huge improvement from when I first stopped using the support).. but the 600 series are gone. I used to bowl a 600 every other week or so.. now a 500 means I had a good night. I know if I continue on my current path maybe, just maybe I'll get back up there but it could take a year or more or who knows how long.

I think just one decent night with a 600 would help my psychi tremendously. I'm considering putting back on the support just because I feel I could be back there instantly. What can I do mentally to keep pushing myself? This is really starting to drag me down and make me frustrated to the point I don't even look forward to bowling anymore. I can only bowl 6 games a week so maybe that's part of the problem.. progress is slow. Any words of wisdom and/or encouragement appreciated, thanks.
15# Quantum (Forest Green) - Dry/Wood
15# White Dot - Spares

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#34437 - 10/13/06 06:02 PM Re: Wrist support (revisited) [Re: Tyveil]
Dennis Michael Online   jestera
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I take a lot of grief from my teammates because I use a wrist support. None of them wear one. But, I know that the revs are up, the control is better, the twisting has stopped, and it is comfortable. Is it a crutch? I don't think so. It is a support for the loss of wrist strength due to not bowling for so long.

My Coach had me take it off. He didn't want to see it when I was working with him. But, he also now sees the difference, and has accepted it. I will admit, it makes a
20+ pin difference to me.

I just can't cup the ball like I used to. It's not illegal, so why fight it? It's no different from wrist straps, gloves, elbow wraps, and finger grips, as I see it. It's part of your equipment as interchangeable soles on your shoes.

Besides, that's why the put the side pouch on my bowling bag.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#34441 - 10/13/06 06:21 PM Re: Wrist support (revisited) [Re: Dennis Michael]
Tyveil Offline
Team USA Contender

Well I really have no excuse for wearing mine other than I pretty much started with it and wore it religiously for 6+ years. I'm young (well.. relatively.. 30), have strong wrists, and rarely if ever feel any fatigue or wrist soreness from bowling even without the support. I guess it's just so ingrained in my system it has been a real challenge to do without.

One thing that really added insult to injury was a few weeks ago I bowled against a team that had a bowler hit a 300, with a wrist support. The next week a guy bowled a 750, pretty much single handedly destroying our team.. With a wrist support. I'm starting to doubt myself more and more, what's the point? Why am I struggling to do without the support what I could do fine with it?
15# White Dot - Spares

#34496 - 10/16/06 11:35 AM Re: Wrist support (revisited) [Re: Tyveil]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
I bowled my first 300 game a couple of weeks ago..with a wrist support. I have stunk ever since...with that same support. This weekend I attended a clinic, and Norm Duke himself told me to take it off, said that it defeated the purpose. I am going to give it a try for a few weeks and see what happens. So far though after a few games I guess I don't really miss it.....yet.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#34498 - 10/16/06 01:05 PM Re: Wrist support (revisited) [Re: Tim Gerard]
luisistaz Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 49/male/Tijuana, Mexico
When I used my support, I had a 201 average, and after a great deal of insisting by my coach and team, I decided to take it off. Suposedly it prevented me from making the apropiate wrist adjustments. Well, my average dropped to 165 prety fast.Everybody told me it was normal, and that after the drop, my average would slowly go up, and it did.....verrryyyy slloooowwwlllyyy.Now, I was about to use my trusty support again, when suddenly everything started to click, my revs went up again, even more now tnat when I used the support, more control, and more versatility in my shot. The problem?, muscle memory, and strenght. What did I do that helped the most?,first of all, I didn't give up, secondly I kept on "purpusefully" practicing, and I did all the excercises necesary to strenghten my wrist ( even if it wasn't weak, it was weaker than other players wrists), forearm arm and shoulder, becaus I was using a whole new group of muscles I wasn't using before.
Oh by the way, my average now ( a year later) 206 and improving.

#34500 - 10/16/06 01:38 PM Re: Wrist support (revisited) [Re: luisistaz]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Good points luisistaz,
About not giving up on it too early. We all have a tendency to go back to what feels comfortable and not following through, its easier to do it how we used too, wether its giving up smoking, eating right, or even using a wrist support.Change is sometimes a hard thing. I guess I'll try it a little longer than a couple of weeks.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#34507 - 10/16/06 04:12 PM Re: Wrist support (revisited) [Re: Tim Gerard]
Tyveil Offline
Team USA Contender

Well I think things have started to click. I didn't shoot lights out but did manage to get back in the 550+ range this week. Bowled in a 9-pin no tap tourney after that and did pretty well too. I was paying real close attention to how my ball was reacting down the lane and what angle and speed my revs were and everything looked exactly like when I had the support.

What changed? Nothing I can think of except posting my frustration here on these boards. Maybe I needed to just let it out before things could start to click again. I'm very confident now I will never need the support again (barring some type of wrist injury). Good to hear all the experts echo the sentimate "do not wear a wrist support!" Eraser, good luck to you, sounds like you went even further in your game than I did before deciding to switch.
15# White Dot - Spares

#34519 - 10/16/06 09:22 PM Re: Wrist support (revisited) [Re: Tyveil]
Just call me Al Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 63/M/ Long Island, NY - right ...
Sometimes its the 'magic feather' (remember the movie "Dumbo").
If you think it will help, then it will.

It sounds more like your concentration was on the wrong item. Instead of concentrating on your approach, delivery and follow thru, you may have been thinking and feeling about how your wrist feels.
I went to a wrist support some 20 years ago when I started cupping the ball too much. How did I know? Someone told me that my elbow and wrist were no longer straight at the follow thru..
My wrist was also beginning to feel some pain from the stress.
So, tried various makes and models til I found what felt right for me. It took a little getting used to, but no more pain.
No one in any of my leagues or tournaments that I have bowled in, has ever made a negative comment about it.
So my words to you, if you think it helps, put it on. Don't pay attention to the nay sayers. Just let them eat there hearts out.

#34543 - 10/17/06 06:09 PM Re: Wrist support (revisited) [Re: Just call me Al]
JrJunyaa1 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Brooklyn, NY
I used one of those cobra wrist supports with the adjustable [censored] dealy, because my wrist would flop around wildly (football injuries coming back to get me), after a while of using it, it became bothersome and I took it off, havent looked back yet, feels like I have more control now then with the support. Just my personal experience.

#34547 - 10/17/06 06:58 PM Re: Wrist support (revisited) [Re: JrJunyaa1]
Chris Cenotti Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/M/Northern California
It seems, Ty, that you made your decision. It seems to me that putting the support back on for one night or part of a practice session might not be such a bad thing. The psych impact is one good reason to do is, but there are others i can think og. For one, as long as you pay attention, the brace could "show" your wrist what it needs to do, so you can gauge how much your wrist has learned since taking the support off. For another, you may put it on and find out that you can't give up the new freedom you gained by losing the brace. That would be another big confidence boost in your decision.

It's not like quitting smoking, where theres a physical dependency. If you go one practice session with the brace it's not going to undo all the work you put in so far.

Chris

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 04:35 PM
End of Days
by explorer05 - Yesterday at 12:19 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.