BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34742 - 10/23/06 07:45 PM Re: bowling tryouts [Re: Dennis Michael]
Black Jack Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 16/Male/Britland
In my experience good coaches are often awful bowlers, the two coaches who've helped me through the last 6 years were both worse bowlers than me.

Actually, one of them backhanded and only owned a bowling ball once I gave him one which wouldn't hook for me anymore. Also, the coach for my youth bowling squad is a fairly bad bowler- 150 average in a team of 7 who all average 210ish.

He's good at motivating people and also good at noticing our strengths and weakenesses, for example, I find it hard being first off, I always think it's unlucky. 5th however I find easy, so I tend to go there. I also hate following left handers, so I never do that either.

"The main element of my technique is power, power and luck... lots of luck"-- me

"For Christs sake, bowling is easy just knock all the pins down!"-- me coaching

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#34784 - 10/25/06 04:40 AM Re: bowling tryouts [Re: Black Jack]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
BlackJack,
High School Coaches are usually Teachers who are volunteering their time or picking up an extra task for a few bucks after school. No School, to my knowledge, hires a bowling coach.
The best Coach at that age is someone who knows how you bowl, and can spot a problem. Just to be able to identify that something has changed, or some habit is causing trouble is good enough for a good younger bowler. My Dad was mine.
A Training Coach is something different. Here, the ability, knowledge of the game and certification qualifies this person to work with you to improve what you do.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#34797 - 10/25/06 10:46 AM Re: bowling tryouts [Re: Dennis Michael]
sawmill Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: ??/M/AZ
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
BlackJack,
High School Coaches are usually Teachers who are volunteering their time or picking up an extra task for a few bucks after school. No School, to my knowledge, hires a bowling coach.
The best Coach at that age is someone who knows how you bowl, and can spot a problem. Just to be able to identify that something has changed, or some habit is causing trouble is good enough for a good younger bowler. My Dad was mine.
A Training Coach is something different. Here, the ability, knowledge of the game and certification qualifies this person to work with you to improve what you do.

Eh? Here, they are recruiting high school bowling coaches in the local bowling newspaper. They are offering USBC backed seminars just to teach those recruits. IIRC Richard Shockley is teaching the next one. Doesn't sound like high school teachers as coaches to me.... Although a teacher probably has to be involved somewhere. And if I heard correctly, they want all the high school coaches to get a minimum of USBC Bronze Coach certification.

Edited by sawmill (10/25/06 10:50 AM)

#34802 - 10/25/06 12:09 PM Re: bowling tryouts [Re: sawmill]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
This is really interesting. Advertising for a Bowling Coach.
I can state for a fact that in our High School District, Only Teachers can be a Coach of any Sport. So, all of the Coaches in all sports have to teach a minimum number of classes before they can Coach. My Coach was a History Teacher first.

Now, this does not apply to Club Sports. They include: Girls Field Hockey, Boys Ice Hockey and others. These are usually sports that all schools in the Conference do not support, but some make available for a participation fee. This pays for fields, ice rinks, org fees, uniforms, refs, and a Coach. Clubs may include Bowling in some schools,
I guess.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#39139 - 01/20/07 10:49 AM Re: bowling tryouts [Re: Dennis Michael]
d_bradford82 Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: Macomb, IL
Off topic kinda:

For tryouts this year we bowled for 3 straight days. 6 games a day and each day was a different sport shot ranging from a dry/short shot, a medium shot, and a shot with lots of oil. Kept a running score.

You also had to meet with the coach individually and you did a little skills test, which involved shooting your ball threw a pair of cones set at the arrows, between the cone and gutter (you had to hit the 3 board or you were going to hit the cone) And then there was 10 shots at the 7 pin and 10 shots at the 10 pin.

For the skills part you got extra pins added to your score. Took the top bowlers (for the exception of anybody that didn't seem like they were going to be team players or had anger problems that be harmfull for the team.

Far as our coach goes, WELL he's not much of a coach it seems to me. He oils the lanes for us and thats about it. If you have questions about your shot he will watch and help you. But i think his way of thinking is if you made it threw tryouts, your good enough you shouldn't really have to be coached.

He has taken our team to 4 national championships. BUT when you had a stacked team like he did i don't think it would be hard, people like jeremy sonnefield (Mr. 900), Derek Sapp (who is on tour now), and three other guys who could have played for any school they wanted too, who needs a coach?

HG: 300-3
HS: 816

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:21 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by champ - 07/22/19 05:30 PM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - 07/21/19 07:26 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.