BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34592 - 10/19/06 09:37 PM Re: bowling tryouts [Re: Brian Longo]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Here in CA there's an organization that pretty much controls the high school sports. For some reason they do not let the kids participate in more then one sport at a time. So we're having trouble getting high school bowling going.

Maybe Angel knows more about it. But we heard just a quick take on it at our Nor Cal Directors' travel league and it was pretty discouraging.

But high school bowling is one of the reasons USBC did away with all watches and rings for Jrs. A lot of programs prohibit kids from being awarded with anything that has value. So it now all down to patches and certificates. Can you imagine? Bowl 100 pins over your average and you get a certificate on a piece of paper run off on a computer. Same with 700 and 800 series.

Erin

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#34593 - 10/19/06 10:15 PM Re: bowling tryouts [Re: Brian Longo]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
As Brian said, I don't remember ever seeing our Bowling Coach bowl. Don't know if he even could. But, I know that he was respected for his time and effort that he put in.
We had a JV and Varsity team. There were just 14 of us with the Coach. We all got along great.
I went to my 40th high school reunion last year. It was held at the school. They have a reunion event annually for each ten year anniversary at the same time. So in attendance were alums from 10, 20, 30, and 40 years ago. Being a new school, I was in the first graduating class. And still in the trophy case in the vestabule, was the first conference championship trophy and plaque the school ever won. The 1965 Bowling championship, with my name on it. I was still proud.
There used to be a picture of us too. But, since then they had to make room for more awards.

Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#34597 - 10/20/06 07:30 AM Re: bowling tryouts [Re: Atochabsh]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
But high school bowling is one of the reasons USBC did away with all watches and rings for Jrs. A lot of programs prohibit kids from being awarded with anything that has value. So it now all down to patches and certificates. Can you imagine? Bowl 100 pins over your average and you get a certificate on a piece of paper run off on a computer. Same with 700 and 800 series.

That's just flat stupid. Maybe the other programs were jealous at the fact that bowlers could earn stuff like rings and watches. A running back gets notoriety and a hard look from a D-I school for cranking off 2,000 yards or whatever, but a kid who shoots a 300 gets a piece of jewerly, and that probably bothers some of the athletic directors, especially the ones who still don't consider bowling a "real sport". brickwall

#34599 - 10/20/06 08:32 AM Re: bowling tryouts [Re: Brian Longo]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
I agree Brian,
Thats just flat out stupid, heaven forbid that a young bowler be rewarded for any success he/she has achieved. Maybe its that coaches of other sports don't want any thing to legitimize the SPORT of bowling, fearing it may take athletes away from their "more popular" sports. I have seen trophys honoring achievments in other sports that cost more than a 300 ring, so whats the big deal.?

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#34604 - 10/20/06 10:48 AM Re: bowling tryouts [Re: Tim Gerard]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Unfortunately, I think Erin is correct. No ameteur athlete can receive any award of value for participating in his/her sport. Bowling is one of the few sports that all ages fall under one guiding organization. And, unlike the NCAA or other, Bowling gives out awards that excede the maximum value sstandard for all other sports.

But, now that you bring it up Brian, how does ameteur football give a Heisman Trophy to a football player as an undergraduate and still allow him to play another year? That Trophy has a great deal of value. Just ask OJ.

#34609 - 10/20/06 12:41 PM Re: bowling tryouts [Re: Dennis Michael]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
But, now that you bring it up Brian, how does ameteur football give a Heisman Trophy to a football player as an undergraduate and still allow him to play another year? That Trophy has a great deal of value. Just ask OJ.

I'm not touching that with OJ's or anyone else's bloody glove! grin

Actually, I do think that it has something to do with jealousy. Think about it, bowling is the only sport where the ceiling scores (highest scores possible) are both difficult to obtain and (well, once was) almost impossible to obtain. There is no ceiling score in football, baseball, backetball, etc. So you cannot give someone a ring for scoring 9 touchdowns in a game, or driving in 10 runs in a game, or scoring 100 points in a game, because, at some point in time, although unlikely, those feats can be broken.

But in bowling, nobodoy can throw a 301 scratch game or a 901 scratch series, therefore certain games such as a 298, 299, or 300 warrants a ring for the accomplishment, as does an 800 or 900 series. If you shoot a 290, you can get an 11 in a row plaque. If you shoot 125 poins over your average, you can get a watch. Call me crazy, but bowling has a great awards system, er, well, used to before the merger anyhow. Other sports have no similar awards system that I know of.

Yep, it's jealousy. wink

#34618 - 10/20/06 04:29 PM Re: bowling tryouts [Re: Brian Longo]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Jealousy???

I think it is because no other sport has an organization geared to the individual like bowling has. The individual pays for membership to the USBA for sanctioning. I never got a membership card to Little league of America, although that is who I played under. Even under ABC rules, individual awards were finely tuned to show a real achievement in the sport.
As a Junior bowler, I had patches sewn all over my shirt. When I got my first 300 at about 18-19, it was in a sanctioned league and I received a plaque and written award.

Since then, rings for 298 and 300, and watches for 100 pins over in a game.

If I were an ametuer in another sport, say NCAA baseball, which I was, I would hate to think those awards would eliminate my eligibility. I was never asked specifically about bowling awards when playing College Baseball. I was asked if I ever received any compensation for athletics, to which I always answered no. An award is not compensation in my mind. It is recognition for achievement.

Brian, don't worry. The glove doesn't fit.

#34621 - 10/20/06 06:29 PM Re: bowling tryouts [Re: Dennis Michael]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

It just dawned on me that a statement is written in the USBC Pamphlet we receive with our USBC Membership Card, it says:

"Working in conjunction with the high school and collegiate athletic associations across the country, items in the USBC Youth recognition program have been reviewed and modified where necessary to protect youth members' current and future eligibility to compete in high school and collegiate sports. Some award items, such as rings and plaques, needed to me replaced with other items that are more symbolic in nature and fall within acceptable value limits of all 50 states. Beginning in the 2006-07 season, USBC Youth members will earn emblems, medals, or pins for their achievements. However, the option will be available for bowlers, their parents or legal guardians to commemorate their achievement by purchasing awards similar to what has been previously offered."

#34664 - 10/22/06 04:52 PM Re: bowling tryouts [Re: Dennis Michael]
DivaDevil Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Washington
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
As Brian said, I don't remember ever seeing our Bowling Coach bowl. Don't know if he even could. But, I know that he was respected for his time and effort that he put in.
...And still in the trophy case in the vestabule, was the first conference championship trophy and plaque the school ever won. The 1965 Bowling championship, with my name on it. I was still proud.

Ahhh Dennis that is cool! Do you have any idea if your coach is still living?

DivaMom to Three Boys...one "King Pin" & two "Little Splits"

#34680 - 10/22/06 08:47 PM Re: bowling tryouts [Re: DivaDevil]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Hi DivaDevil, thanks for noticing.

This is a great board. If you have the time, with the little ones, join us in conversation.

Love to hear your average, leagues, or any other subjects you would bring up.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:21 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by champ - 07/22/19 05:30 PM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - 07/21/19 07:26 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.