BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34322 - 10/10/06 07:04 PM # of teams in your league?
BillinPhilly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 50 / M / Malvern, PA
Is league attendance really down, or what? Just wondering if it only is here.

I am bowling in 2 leagues. My monday league started with 8 teams, 4 person teams. A team dropped on week one, and then another team dropped week 2 or 3. So we're down to 6 teams as of now. And now one another team is talking about dropping. FYI - This league has 2 "stacked" teams with 4 people who can all bowl 200+, and then there's everybody else. All the teams that dropped were newer bowlers, which I also realize is kind of bad. On one hand, I know its bad to drive out the newer bowlers, but on the other hand, we also really can't dictate who is on a team with who. If they put a good team together, then don't they deserve to win? Yes, but its costing the league, because nobody wants to bowl. And the fewer teams there are, the more often the lesser teams have to bowl the killer teams, so in the end, this league may go to 4 teams or less. I'm not on one of the stacked teams, and I will probably leave this league myself if it goes to 5 or fewer teams. That's no fun.

My Thursday league also only has 8 teams (still. We started with 8 and still have 8. different center)

I remember bowling years ago with way more teams than this. We used to have 2 divisions and divisional playoffs and stuff.

So is it just here? How many teams are in your league?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#34326 - 10/10/06 09:58 PM Re: # of teams in your league? [Re: BillinPhilly]
Angel Offline

A/S/L: F/So Cal
Our sport league is up from 12 teams to 14 this year (and 10 this summer).

In my Adult/Jr league I am way up--to 22 teams from 10 this summer.

My Saturday numbers are probably up a little overall, but because of kids aging from one division to another, some age groups are smaller than before, and others are huge compared to "normal."

It takes quite a bit to keep a league going, including keeping the current bowlers happy and making sure those bowlers do some recruiting themselves. In the case of the A/J, there are several teams responsible for several teams starting. With the sport league, it's a case of making sure that the people interested understand what they're getting into and that they won't burn out after 3 weeks. People will blame the house, the secretary, or the president, but honestly it's an entire group effort.

#34332 - 10/10/06 11:15 PM Re: # of teams in your league? [Re: Angel]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
I bowl in a 16 lane center and on Tuesday Nights, I bowl on a 12 team 4-deep league. In the same center on Wednesday night, I bowl on a 10 team, 4-deep league. There's a league there on Monday ngiht but I don't know the size for sure, though I think it's 10 teams as well. The nice thing about the three leagues is that there are only a few "repeat" bowlers in that I mean such as myself, where I bowl in two of the leagues as does my wife. Our junior program is a tad smaller than it was last year (52 kids this year) and that's even with combining two centers. We had a handful of kids leave for various reasons (graduation, moved to adult league, other sports). We still plan on taking 40+ kids to state as we have done for the past 4 years, though.

I'd say our league participation is not bad considering I live in an area not known as a bowling hotbed. Saldy, though, there aren't enough bowlers interested in a scratch or sport bowling league. Thats about the only drawback here.

#34335 - 10/11/06 12:47 AM Re: # of teams in your league? [Re: Brian Longo]
Bikedad Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 57/male/New Zealand. Right han...
The only league I bowl in this year has nine teams plus the dreaded VACANT team. It is a 24 lane centre with two or three leagues a day,Monday through Thursday and a couple on the weekends. Most are around the 10 team mark, although one doubles league is at about 20 teams (down from 24 at the start of the season). There are quite a few bowlers who bowl two or more leagues, so the numbers look reasonably high but actually are down from previous years. As this is the only centre in the city (pop. 400 000), there are not all that many bowlers at all!

#34337 - 10/11/06 07:07 AM Re: # of teams in your league? [Re: Bikedad]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I bowl in 3 leagues, and know of others. 32 lane House, in a town of 15,000.
Monday Night men's, 16 teams, 5-man; 2, 8-team leagues at the same time as us. One is a short Ball League.
Wednesday Night men's, 12 teams, 4-man, we lost 2 teams; 1, 16-team mix league at the same time, it grew 2 teams.
Friday Night mixed, 14 teams, 4-man. A lot of Wed men bowl with wives on Fri.

The women's league on tuesday Night has 24 teams, 4-man.

In another 40 lane House, 10 miles away, I tried to get on the Monday Night men's, but it was filled. 24 teams with 5-men. I was on the waiting list since May. In a town of 20,000.

A popular event has been to run short, 10 week or so, Ball Leagues to fill the house. There is no prize money, but a nominal fee to bowl, plus an added amount each week to pay for a new ball. The House, Brunswick, offers Brunswick Balls in this promo.
I bowled in the Summer version and got my Scorchin Inferno for $10 a week, 16 weeks, drilled and grips included. Most bowlers paid the ball money up front to get the ball early. The Ball was selling for $200-229, plus drilling at the time. Internet price was $169, plus shipping, plus drilling. It's a good deal.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#34338 - 10/11/06 07:08 AM Re: # of teams in your league? [Re: Bikedad]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
We have 12 Teams in my league. I think the most teams in a league that i bowled in were about 32 teams but that was in Junior Leagues.
BowlSk: Stats

#34358 - 10/11/06 11:02 AM Re: # of teams in your league? [Re: Brandon510]
Angel Offline

A/S/L: F/So Cal
One of the interesting stats I've read recently was how many bowlers the respective states had, how many lane beds, and how many leagues. Oddly enough, while Michigan still has the most bowlers and the most lanes, California had the more youth leagues and more leagues overall (adult and youth combined). Of course this means there are smaller leagues in California, but in all my years, I've never gotten to say we kick Michigan's butt in anything bowling related....so wooohooo!

And for those interested, the data is at http://www.bowl.com/downloads/pdf/05_06_membershipnumbers.pdf

Edited by Angel Zobel-Rodriguez (10/11/06 11:02 AM)

#34389 - 10/11/06 10:38 PM Re: # of teams in your league? [Re: BillinPhilly]
sawmill Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: ??/M/AZ
I only have the time to bowl in one league and it's a Men's handicap league with 30 teams of 5-man teams for a total of 150 bowlers. There's a waiting list of teams trying to get it and there is a franchise fee for a team to join the league. Sandman knows since he and his team just joined the league this year. The league would like to expand but there's a mixed league filling up all remaining lanes and they don't seem to be going anywhere. And this house is wall-to-wall leagues and special events weekend nights and all day Saturday.

#34410 - 10/12/06 01:47 PM Re: # of teams in your league? [Re: sawmill]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
I bowl on two 5 man a team leagues. Wednesday night is a 12 team league, and on Thursday night we have an 18 team league. Its nice to have even numbers in both leagues , I hate bowling against that VACANT team. On the wednesday night the other half of the center is filled with a womans league. So at least in this center, its busy with leagues all winter.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#34416 - 10/12/06 10:09 PM Re: # of teams in your league? [Re: Tim Gerard]
Lefont Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 35/M/Atlanta
I bowled in two leagues. Both are comprised of 30 teams of 4 members each. Pretty much you get to bowled every team only once. In both nights we are up from last year, 3 mores teams on wednesday and 2 more teams on friday.

The house has 32 lanes so already happened a couple of times with a couple of pair of lanes breaking down and people having to wait until some lanes open up.

MoRich Awesome Hook - 14#
MoRich Total Shock & Awe - 14#
Brunswick Ultra Zone - 14#
MoRich Sahara - 14#

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Where is every one?
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 06:09 PM
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 04:49 PM
Motiv Venom Shock Pearl
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:51 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by IronMike - Yesterday at 09:54 AM
Competing against high rev, high speed players
by BowlerBill - 01/17/18 07:59 PM
Honor Scores Not Received By USBC
by Mkirchie - 01/10/18 02:34 PM
Dual Angle Layouts
by Dennis Michael - 01/10/18 10:26 AM
Roto-Grip Hyper Cell Fused Video Ball Review
by mmalsed - 01/08/18 11:41 AM
Dare Devil Danger Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 01/07/18 08:56 PM
Good advice from my brother!
by Dylan585 - 01/05/18 04:13 PM
"Knocking the Shine" off of my Pearl Ball
by 6_ball_man - 01/01/18 09:11 AM
Have a happy and safe Holiday
by goobee - 01/01/18 02:34 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.