BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34035 - 09/27/06 03:00 PM Re: Is This Sandbagging? [Re: Tyveil]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Tyveil,
Tonight is week 4 of the Wednesday league. This is the first night that actual handicap is used. For the first 3 weeks, we used last year average to establish handicap.
Well, last year's average of 194 in this league, will be a handicap based on 165 this year. Don't know why I am bowling so badly on Wed. I carry 202 on Monday in the same house.
The way I see it, if I bowl my normal, I should get an additional 27 handicap tonight.
I guess I will get the Sandbagging claims now.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#34087 - 09/30/06 12:50 AM Re: Is This Sandbagging? [Re: Tyveil]
Right Field Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 43/male/kansas
Tyveil, I too have been called a sandbagger, I started bowling a few years ago and there were a few things one of the Pro Shop guys seen that they though I needed to correct. Last fall I bowled in one league I averaged 172. During the summer I bowled on two leagues and because I was bowling more with the adjustments I tried I did increase my average to 195, Now at the beginning of fall leagues I'm bowling on three league teams so I'm not use to bowling so much it has caused me to not continually average in the 190 or better, so I've been labeled a sandbagger. Do I Mine what they say NO I look at it as an opportunity to work on my game.

#34131 - 10/02/06 09:37 AM Re: Is This Sandbagging? [Re: Right Field]
7string Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 33/Male/Glasgow, UK
I feel that you must get nothing but praise for taking the decision to improve even though (for the short term at least) it will have a negative effect on your score. Those sandbagging jibes are ridiculous...

Even as a newbie, I've tried to keep to the technique that I've learnt even though at times it's been extremely tempting to just chuck the ball down the lane as fast as I can. Last week was a nightmare, but I know that if I stick to my guns I will improve.

#34134 - 10/02/06 10:30 AM Re: Is This Sandbagging? [Re: 7string]
shake'm up Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 35/M/Gainesville, Fl
Any change in your game will have an impact on your average. Most of the time it'll come down at first then improve. As long as you are trying your hardest on every shot it can't be called sandbagging. If you intentionally throw it in the gutter or walk up and just heave it obviously not aiming at anything in order to keep your average low, thats sandbagging.

#34143 - 10/02/06 04:21 PM Re: Is This Sandbagging? [Re: shake'm up]
Tyveil Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Kansas
Grrr.. now it's not only in my Mon night league but Friday night the sandbagging claims popped their ugly head again. A gal from one of the other teams (1st place team last year.. we finished behind them in 2nd) came over and started cussing to us about sandbagging. She asked why we would do such a thing, and she seemed totally serious about it. The thing is 2 of my teammates are almost 20 pins above last years average, one is 10 pins below last year and I am about 15 down, so overall we have a higher team average this year!

I guess if you have a lower team average than another team but are ahead of them, that automatically means you're sandbagging.. that seems to be the general rule people in my leagues go by. Nevermind that our team average is in the top 3 (of 8 teams) and none of us have ever, ever intentionally missed a shot. I'm just getting sick of hearing it.
15# Quantum (Forest Green) - Dry/Wood
15# White Dot - Spares

#34147 - 10/02/06 06:03 PM Re: Is This Sandbagging? [Re: Tyveil]
BSchaff Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 23/M/Florida
I am hearing the same sort of claims Tyveil and apparently the folks in my league are about as dumb as the ones in yours.

I too got coaching lessons over the summer (and I continue to get them) and thus saw my average take a hit as the season went along but I am now back on the upswing. I bowled very well the first week of league and set my average artificially high and now that it has inevitably come back down to Earth I'm being called a sandbagger by people who won't even say it to my face. The majority of the league sees me practicing along side of them during the week so most people know I work hard to get my average up but I guess there are always going to be idiots somewhere. I heard grumblings of it last week when I bowled probably the best 3 games I've put together in a while because everything was finally clicking and I just happened to be over my average which had been lowered while I adjusted to my new technique. As most all of you know learning to throw a hook isn't quite the easiest thing in the world to do and throwing a backup ball for as long as I did means there's a lot of muscle memory and bad habits to kick.

Just keep your head up and I too look forward to the end of the year when my average increases hopefully to my goal of 155. As long as you know you never go to the line to intentionally miss a shot, then you aren't sandbagging.
12/25/05, 11:09 PM... the time I dropped two C-notes on the lanes for the first time.

League goals: 500 series, 150+ average. None down, two to go...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 07/05/20 10:18 PM
Ultimate Adjustable Thumb
by EdW - 07/05/20 08:43 PM
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 07/03/20 04:35 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 06/27/20 09:00 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 06/24/20 02:10 PM
Quitting my League
by mmalsed - 06/22/20 12:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 06/20/20 05:06 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.