BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#33889 - 09/21/06 09:57 AM Brand of Choice?
Chaos Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 19/Male/Virginia
This always sparks debate in the Pro Shop, thought maybe we could get a good conversation goin here. What is your brand of choice when it comes to bowling equipment?

For me, Track seems to be holding strong. I started with Hammer picking up a Black Widow. With combination of my low rev style and "Snap" of a black widow is was very unpredictable. One morning I checked my email and I won the Track Ball-a-Day Givaway and picked myself up a Mean Machine.

Strong, Versatile, and a well rounded performance for a low rev like me. Then last night we got an extra 14 lb innertia in the shop, so I picked it up and drilled it for myself. Not quite as strong (more useful on med-med/hvy) but also a very well rounded performance shooting a 503 the first set I ever threw it with.

What about you guys?

Line up:

14 lb Ebonite Infinite One (Heavy Oil/Pattern 5 & 1)
14 lb Storm Special Agent (Tournament/Pattern 2 & 1)
14 lb Columbia Action Max (Heavy/Pattern 5)
14 lb Brunswick Power Groove (House Shot)
14 lb Storm Jolt (Light Oil/House Shot)
14 lb Storm - Soccer Ball (Spares/No Oil)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#33894 - 09/21/06 10:15 AM Re: Brand of Choice? [Re: Chaos]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
I lean towards Ebonite and Storm myself, though my last two purchases have been exclusively Ebonite. I like Ebonite because their equipment has more skid/snap characteristics throughout their line of balls. You can pick up a decent, versatile ball for as low as $149 in my shop. IMO, Ebonite has the best "bang for the buck" line in bowling right now.

Storm, for me, has a little bit of skid/snap with decent readability and roll. When the El Nino came out 7 years ago, I was impressed with that ball and the characteristics of the ball throughout its path down the lane. The only problem I have with Storm is that the balls that seem to suit me best are the ones you have to take out a loan for. My wife's a "Storm Freak". It's a good line for her because she needs a good rolling ball without foresaking the pop on the backend.

I've had Track, AMF, Brunswick and Roto Grip equipment in the past and I've had success with each company at some point in time. My one and only Track ball was a Triton Elite which I let a supposed "friend" borrow and he never brought back to me. I had an AMF Hawk that I stupidly sold to someone else, and I had a couple of Brunswick Zones and a Parker Bohn III (Sapphire Zone reincarnate) that worked well, but got rid of for various reasons (mainly weight as I dropped from 16 to 15 to lessen the burden on my shoulder).

I tend to stay away from Columbia and Hammer. I've had very limited success with both. Oddly enough, the only 300 I ever shot was with a Columbia Messenger Pearl (Cherry/Burgandy) Blem that only cost me $55. With the layout I have in it, it works well on torched midlanes. Out of the 6 Hammer and Columbia balls I've ever owned, 5 were duds. Don't even get me started on that ugly orange Pihranna, either or that P.O.S. black U2. Ugh!

#33895 - 09/21/06 10:21 AM Re: Brand of Choice? [Re: Brian Longo]
Chaos Offline
Bracket Donor

When I first started to throw a hook ball (a little less then a year ago) I used a 13lb Pyro Storm (back to our discussion on weight, should have seen me with THAT thing, haha) and it was my learning ball. It didnt perform, because I didnt know how to make it perform. I wanna give storm another shot. Maybe with an agent later down the road. Because I don't think I gave them a fair shot. I ended up selling my little pyro, served me well for its purpose. But yea, talk about deflection, 13lb will do it! =)

Line up:

#33897 - 09/21/06 11:03 AM Re: Brand of Choice? [Re: Chaos]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Orange County, CA
I am a self proclaimed Ebonite-aholic. I throw The One, The Big One, No Limit & for spares I'm using a 15 year old urethane pearl turbo. However, I just bought a Black Widow & I LOVE it & a guy on my team is throwing a Hammer Pain that seems to hit like a truck also.

All that said - Ebonit is still the brand for me.

#33898 - 09/21/06 11:04 AM Re: Brand of Choice? [Re: Chaos]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I'm an Ebonite fan. From the Reactive 8 ball to the One series, I pretty much know I'm going to shoot my best with one of their balls in my hand. Loved the Apex series. I had several and still have a couple NIB stored up. I skipped the Killer Instinct line for some reason. But I'm still using a Tidalwave Wipeout that outhooks even most of my One series equipment.

In between the Ebonite stuff, I've had great sucess with The Bully (when it was new) and the Morich Weapon of Mass Bias. The Bully I put many many miles on before it finally became a rock. But what a great ball. The WMB dried up much sooner, but new that thing was a monster. The orginal Cuda/C Pearl is a huge skid/snapper. It fun to watch this ball dance on drier lane conditions.

Storm has been 100% duds for me. And I've tried three, 2 high performance and one low performance. The El Nino Gold was so skiddy that it never hooked and stunk to high heaven. I could not stand for that thing to be in my car and it is still outside somewhere to this day. The Storm X-It was a rock. Did basically nothing and did nothing for the person I bought it off of for $40, which was $40 too much. No wonder she was smiling as she walked out of the center. My Dad has it now and loves it, but he's a spinner and doesn't know any better. The Flame or Flare or something like that I bought for drier lanes but it hit like a marshmellow. I used it in three different houses within 2 days and gave it back to the Pro Shop, just wanting to get it out of my sight. No more Storm.

I've had one Brunswick, an Ultimate Inferno. Sold that ball after about 24 games. Another non moving rock.

But it just goes to show that there's equipment out there for everyone. But when I get a dud in my hand, I don't waste much time with it. I'd like to try a Hogzilla or Black Widow, but funds are just not there to buy something on a hunch. We sell tons of LaneMasters/Legends equipment that everyone seems to like. Again, the risk of getting another dud, keeps me away.

Erin

#33900 - 09/21/06 11:09 AM Re: Brand of Choice? [Re: Atochabsh]
Chaos Offline
Bracket Donor

The Black Widow, dont get me wrong, is a very strong, good ball. Just isn't the ball for me. I am very weary of ANY of the inferno line from brunswick. I have heard so many horror stories from that company I would not spend much on a ball from them.

My Pro Shop owner/coach throws the hawgzilla, says he likes the normal Hawg better himself. After my ill-success with the widow, ill be timid to go back to hammer, esp with the way Track is treating me.

Line up:

#33901 - 09/21/06 11:29 AM Re: Brand of Choice? [Re: Atochabsh]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
The El Nino Gold was so skiddy that it never hooked and stunk to high heaven.

I have to agree with you, Erin. If any of you Storm reps are trolling this board, the concept of "fragrant bowling equipment" is about THE STUPIDEST idea to ever hit the bowling market!!! thumbsdown Even if a Storm ball was suitable to me, I would not buy it if I couldn't even stand the smell of it. I have a Trauma in my bag, and thank goodness it's "an odor" I can handle (cinnamon), otherwise, I wouldn't carry it. Heck, I want to roll the darn ball, not eat it! sick I just hope they don't come out with any "aromatherapy" scents. Talk about a hazard waiting to happen there.

What's next, rolling bags that play music as they're moving? Whoever the marketing genuis behind the whole "smelly ball" concept was needs to be canned.

#33902 - 09/21/06 11:30 AM Re: Brand of Choice? [Re: Brian Longo]
Chaos Offline
Bracket Donor

Originally Posted By: Brian Longo
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
The El Nino Gold was so skiddy that it never hooked and stunk to high heaven.

I have to agree with you, Erin. If any of you Storm reps are trolling this board, the concept of "fragrant bowling equipment" is about THE STUPIDEST idea to ever hit the bowling market!!! thumbsdown Even if a Storm ball was suitable to me, I would not buy it if I couldn't even stand the smell of it. I have a Trauma in my bag, and thank goodness it's "an odor" I can handle (cinnamon), otherwise, I wouldn't carry it.

Heck, I want to roll the darn ball, not eat it! sick

I dunno, if it smells good, why not. When I first bought my storm, I knew it was a good ball because it smelled good. I will have to hand it to storm, it is an original idea that no one else has done, maybe there is a reason, i dunno.

Line up:

#33904 - 09/21/06 02:28 PM Re: Brand of Choice? [Re: Chaos]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
One of my teamates has a Storm Thunderstruck,That ball smells like grapes and when he uses it it saturates the whole area with that grape popcicle smell. Its pretty strong.
For me, I hav'nt been bowling that long to really fall in love with a certain brand of ball. I love my Big One from Ebonite, I have a Columbia Bully which was an OK ball (its starting to loose its bang though )I have a Storm Screaming Banshee which is eh, so,so, lanes need to dry up a bit for this ball to even venture out of the bag. I really like my newest ball a Columbia Wrath, this ball is really fun to bowl with, give it alot of room and just comes back and hits like a truck.
I would like to try the Kong next, but I need to give my wallet a rest for a while.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#33906 - 09/21/06 03:48 PM Re: Brand of Choice? [Re: Tim Gerard]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Kong was a great ball when it came out, but now the Big Bang has kind of taken its place. And the Buzz, hooks more then the company thought. AP2 is still a big hooker.

Erin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - 7 minutes 57 seconds ago
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.