BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#32998 - 08/21/06 10:35 PM Wrist Support Question
thello1970 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 36/M/ATX
I've recently started bowling, and it has really caused the tendonitis in my wrist to flare up. Is there a good wrist support out there that will potentially allow me to keep bowling? The pain is pretty intense, especially if I bowl 2 days in a row. I'm bowling with a 16 pound Speed Zone ball, throwing down-and-in from somewhere between the first and second arrows (I'm still learning). Thanks in advance for any help.

Sean

Edited by thello1970 (08/21/06 10:41 PM)
3. Have fun!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#33001 - 08/21/06 10:51 PM Re: Wrist Support Question [Re: thello1970]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
Well there several wrist supports out there. Go to local Pro Shop they may be able to show you a couple that might help you out. If the problem does persist after getting one you may want to think of dropping your ball weight?
BowlSk: Stats

#33004 - 08/21/06 11:15 PM Re: Wrist Support Question [Re: Brandon510]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
If you are experiencing pain from tendonitis, a wrist support might not totally alleviate that pain. You might need a grip adjustment or have a coach check your release. Sometimes even the most subtle grip adjustment (1/8 difference in span, different pitch) can relieve a lot of pain and pressure in your release.

#33013 - 08/22/06 10:19 AM Re: Wrist Support Question [Re: Brian Longo]
luisistaz Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 49/male/Tijuana, Mexico
If you're havng tendonitis problems, no wrist support will help you. Wrist tendonitis and epicondilitis usualy envolve flexor tendons, and the wrist support doesn't prevent you from using those muscles and tendons. The only thing that will aliviate the condition is rest, antiinflamatory medication and a comprehensive therapy program (in other words, see your doctor). Tendonitis has a very long healing period ( several months), so you have to be very patient and do what your doctor indicates. Sorry, but it's the only way you are going to get rid of wrist pain due to tendonitis. Wrist supports, just help you deal with weak wrist. Do check your span and pitch as Brian suggests, that could be part of the problem that caused the tendonitis in the first place ( other than just poor mechanics).

Edited by luisistaz (08/22/06 10:21 AM)

#33016 - 08/22/06 11:01 AM Re: Wrist Support Question [Re: luisistaz]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
YOu also probably don't need to use a 16lb ball. Most people use 15 now since the balls are so dynamic. And even 14 is popular with people that are older or have injuries. If you are using a ball not drilled for you forget it! If so that could be a huge part of the problem. Also as Brian has said, if you are doing something more stressfull in your release then you need to it could be causing it.

Though I suggest dropping in ball weight, there's no guarantee that's going to be enough to let you bowl on a regular basis. Like Luisistaz says, see your doctor before you get further into the sport and do more damage.

Erin

#33019 - 08/22/06 02:00 PM Re: Wrist Support Question [Re: luisistaz]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Originally Posted By: luisistaz
Tendonitis has a very long healing period.

I can attest to that. When I was 18, I had tendonitis in my elbow ("tennis elbow") from poor throwing mechanics in baseball. My elbow would feel like it was on fire and hurt so much I could barely throw from third base to first base without pain - even a lob. It took 4 years to heal about 90% (it has never fully healed and still bothers me once in a great while). It took a while to get past the point where there was little to no pain because I used to work with my dad in construction, so I was always using my elbow somehow. But not using it the wrong way helped the healing process, but again, it hasn't fully healed, and may never heal because I did do quite a bit of damage to it.

Unless bowling is something that puts food on your table, it would be a wise decision to slow down quite a bit and see a doctor. No sense in "toughing it out" right now and potentially, down the road, not being able to enjoy it at all.

Shoot, I love to bowl, but if my back is stiff, or another part of my body hurting might cause further pain and more time off than need be (and even throw off my game), I lay out for however long it takes to heal. I learned that lesson when I broke my ankle.

#33615 - 09/12/06 05:07 PM Re: Wrist Support Question [Re: Brian Longo]
thello1970 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 36/M/ATX
Just as update here, I tried a "standard" brace (which looks like one of the ones my parents used to use, only back then they were made out of dinosaur skins wink ), and it really cut down my my wrist pain substantially. However, it hampered my ability to throw the ball the way I want to, so I tried out one of the wrist-band type supports, and that support is REALLY effective for me, both in stabilizing my wrist and reducing the post-game pains I was feeling.

I'm also taking the collective advice of folks here and getting a 15 pound ball (at the driller's currently), although after league last night, I'm not so sure I'm jumping directly to the new ball. Thanks everyone for the help!

Sean
3. Have fun!

#33629 - 09/13/06 03:09 AM Re: Wrist Support Question [Re: thello1970]
Goodah Chunky Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: ??/M/State of Euphoria
Besides the good suggestions posted here is to get the span fit rechecked. An improper fitted ball can cause you to grip more and can lead to the aches and pains you're experiencing now...

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 04:35 PM
End of Days
by explorer05 - Yesterday at 12:19 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.