BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#33192 - 08/29/06 07:56 AM Pushing oil down the alley
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I bowled in a new men's league last night, and on the next pair of alleys was one of the better bowlers in the house. He started with a 290, followed by a 247, then a 165.
Through the night, I got to meet and talk with him. We talked about his troubles in the third game, planty of light hits and wierd splits.

He said the other team, 5-160/170 bowlers, with little or no hook, was pushing the oil down the lane, and not allowing his ball to bite.

My question is, How did he recognize this?

I talked with the house mechanic, and he said we had a 45 foot shot to start.

Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#33193 - 08/29/06 10:27 AM Re: Pushing oil down the alley [Re: Dennis Michael]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Orange County, CA
He watched his ball stop hooking on the back ends. His experience level sounds high and he is used to a certain reaction with his equipment. The fact that the ball was hooking on the backends early and stopped means that the oil that started off the night in the front of the lane was carried down the lane through the evening.

#33200 - 08/29/06 01:51 PM Re: Pushing oil down the alley [Re: SoCal Jeff]
Chris Cenotti Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/M/Northern California
As Jeff said, this bowler was watching his ball down the lane. From his warm-up shots and maybe prior experience on these lanes he has a breakpoint picked out, and a general path to that breakpoint. He can see in the first game that his ball is hooking at say board 7 45-47ft down the lane, then driving through the pocket to exit the deck between the 8-9 pin.

By the third game, however, he notices that using the same line his ball is skidding further down the lane, to say 50ft and then doesn't have enough room to make it back to the pocket, or with too little energy making it deflect to exit the deck near the 10 pin. Or he hits a spot closer to the foul line that is now dry from the oil being soaked up or pushed down the lane and his ball grips the lane and starts hooking around 40-43 ft going brooklyn if he's lucky, leaving big ugly splits if not.

I'm not sure what kind of adjustments he tried, or even should have made. This is something I'm just learning now. Basically he needs to find a way to get to the breakpoint consistently. That may mean moving in or out to get away from lines the 150-60 bowlers were using. And that move will mean an adjustment in ball and/or release (more/less loft, hand, speed, etc). At the least he wants to leave makeable spares and bear down and convert them to marks (big area of emphasis for me right now). Or it may mean picking a different breakpoint (Ron Clifton's most recent articles have been dealing with this topic).

Chris

Chris

#33201 - 08/29/06 02:09 PM Re: Pushing oil down the alley [Re: Chris Cenotti]
Just call me Al Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 63/M/ Long Island, NY - right ...
I bowl in a 3 man/women league, fairly high averages, league avg is over 200. What some of the better bowlers do, those usually with a lot of hand in the ball, is to go around the track area.
A few go from 15-20 out to 5 and back, others keep it around 20 -10. What do they have in common, they don't fight the track used by us common bowlers who shoot around the 2nd arrow.

#33241 - 08/30/06 11:06 AM Re: Pushing oil down the alley [Re: Just call me Al]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Thanks Chris. Just starting back for a couple of years, there is more to this game now than there was 20 years ago. And, I assume he was talking about a carry down at the back end. He started the night with a solid ?9-pin?. Picked it up and finished with 11 strikes. His ball was a Mack Truck on every hit. He started the 2nd game with 3 more strikes, then a string of sprare/strike combos, and struck out. It seems he made an adjustment in the middle of game 2 to finish out. But, then the trouble started in game three. Don't know what foot or line adjustments he was making, but he used the same ball all night.

I changed balls mid game 2, which is all I know to do, and had much better success in the 3rd game. While he went down, I went 180, 200, 215.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Unimportant Wood Lane Advice
by 82Boat69 - 03/01/20 02:06 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.