BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#33101 - 08/25/06 12:33 PM ring finger hurts
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
why does my ring finger get swollen and aches the days after i bowl? my span is correct.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#33102 - 08/25/06 12:49 PM Re: ring finger hurts [Re: spr3wr]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
With as little information as you gave, I'm going to assume that you're talking about the finger pad itself (not the entire length of your finger). Pain at that point could be due to a tight insters (likely) or a wrong pitch in the finger (probable).

If you wouldn't mind saying exactly where your pain is, that would be even more helpful.

#33103 - 08/25/06 02:35 PM Re: ring finger hurts [Re: Brian Longo]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

pain is in the knuckle at the 1st joint above my wedding ring (i dont wear the ring when i bowl)
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#33104 - 08/25/06 02:50 PM Re: ring finger hurts [Re: spr3wr]
Rollin' Cowboy Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39/M/Atlanta
I too have some pain in my right ring finger (I'm a righty)at the same knuckle. It hurts a little until I can get it stretched out. I'm fine when it does get stretched out but whether I'm bowling or not bowling the knuckle gets all "stoved up" and I have to pull the knuckle toward my fingertip to pop it to relieve the pressure.

The last person to punch out my equipment shortened the span of this finger a little and re-drilled one ball to the same span for the ring finger.

I'm not sure if the pitch is off or if he shortened it too much in an effort to let me get a little more turn on the ball but if I don't crack the knuckle every 10-20 minutes, that "stoved up" sensation returns and eventually begins to ache until I crack the knuckle.

Cal Russell

It takes balls to play this game.

#33105 - 08/25/06 03:06 PM Re: ring finger hurts [Re: Rollin' Cowboy]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Well, it's probably a pitch or span issue. It's possible an improper ring finger pitch could be the cause, or, despite the fact you think the span is right, it might not be.

Without being able to see your hands and the ball as well, it's very difficult to say which could be the problem. I would, though, take your ball to another Pro Shop (get a recommendation from a friend) and have the other Pro Shop check your equipment's pitches and span to see if, in fact, they are correct. You shouldn't get charged just for a simple consultation.

You should not have to bowl in pain.

#33110 - 08/25/06 07:53 PM Re: ring finger hurts [Re: Brian Longo]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Its also possible that the grip is in crooked, real crooked. They are oval and the long side of the oval need to be matched up to the area where your finger presses. Many shops do not do this, they just slap the grips in and there ya go. But you need to have youe hand in the ball, then draw lines on each side of the fingers. Then you can easily tell were the bottom oval edge of the grip goes. They are hardly ever straight up and down.

If you have ever had a grip come out and put it in yourself, or the Pro Shop put it in in a hurry to get you back on the lanes, this could be how it happened too.

Erin

#33111 - 08/25/06 08:45 PM Re: ring finger hurts [Re: Atochabsh]
Rollin' Cowboy Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39/M/Atlanta
Very true Erin, certainly something I may have overlooked during the process but they feel fine to me but could very well be off just enough to cause the stress on the joint but not off enough to really notice a huge difference. So far these grips have stayed in but in the past I have had some dislodge and recall all too well the problems of quick fix. LOL.

As always your advice is certainly welcome and enjoyed. I stand in awe of you.

Cal Russell

It takes balls to play this game.

#33115 - 08/26/06 10:08 AM Re: ring finger hurts [Re: Rollin' Cowboy]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

thanks to all that reply i will take one of my balls that i havent used in a couple of years and take it to another Pro Shop
richard
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#33119 - 08/26/06 12:28 PM Re: ring finger hurts [Re: spr3wr]
Just call me Al Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 63/M/ Long Island, NY - right ...
Couple of thoughts for you.
1. when you deliever the ball, turning the ball with you fingers still in the hole instead of lifting through the ball can add stress to the joint as well, Also resulting in a calous just underneath the knuckle.
2. Could be a medical problem, arthritis?? Check with a Dr. I thought I had a pulled groin muscle, when it didn't go away, I had it checked. Turned out I needed a new hip. Still recovering, been 7 weeks. Hope to pick up a ball by the end of Sept.

#33134 - 08/27/06 10:02 AM Re: ring finger hurts [Re: Just call me Al]
Dennis Michael Online   jestera
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
As Just call me Al said, "Could be a medical problem, arthritis??"

My middle finger is my problem. And, it is a touch of arthritis. I take an Aleve tablet before bowling. It helps that night, but, I feel it the next day.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
I'll try again
by 82Boat69 - Today at 01:58 PM
Tiered Tape...
by djp1080 - Today at 12:46 PM
what will become of AMF
by BOSStull - Today at 09:41 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - Yesterday at 04:31 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 06/17/18 06:08 AM
For the good of the sport?
by BOSStull - 06/16/18 06:39 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 05/27/18 05:03 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.