BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#32693 - 08/14/06 11:13 PM Question about League Officers
Lefont Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 35/M/Atlanta
I've read the USBC rules regarding the officers and the only limitations they set is for people that live in the same household, however in our fall league that is about to start, the vicepresident, the treasurer and the secretary are all from the same team.

I thought that it might be perceived by some people as too much power given to one single team. Is there something that could be done about it? like creating a bylaw? or would people laugh in my face if I bring it up in our organizational meeting?

Just wondering, I'd appreciate the input... (and reasoning behind either position you'd take)

MoRich Awesome Hook - 14#
MoRich Total Shock & Awe - 14#
Brunswick Ultra Zone - 14#
MoRich Sahara - 14#

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#32707 - 08/15/06 01:38 AM Re: Question about League Officers [Re: Lefont]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
that's not good. In general you should not have more then TWO league officers on the same team. And I know they are gonig to tell you that the sec/treas job has been split. But then that makes additional officers and they should not be on the same team.

The league has to stand up and make a decision about it. Call them on it. You are absolutely right, there's too much power in that team.

Erin

#32710 - 08/15/06 02:24 AM Re: Question about League Officers [Re: Lefont]
Angel Offline

A/S/L: F/So Cal
I've been on teams where the president, secretary, and sgt. at arms were all on the same team. An amendment was proposed last year or the year before and it did not pass at Nationals.

Any league can adopt a rule to prevent more than x officers per team, but consider this: what real advantage does that team have? They have more votes in a meeting than some teams, but how often is that an issue? If the league were to make the rule, would you lose the team?

Honestly, I just don't see that it makes much difference, especially considering how few people actually want the thankless jobs.

#32723 - 08/15/06 09:11 AM Re: Question about League Officers [Re: Angel]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Personally, I could care less if the whole team was on the board. If they're running the league like it should run and they're not "abusing" their power, then all the better for them, and all the better for the people who bowl in that league.

As Angel said, being on the board of anything in bowling is a thankless job that comes with many headaches and a few whiners, especially secretary. Be thankful you have 4 people who are willing to take those positions. We practically have to "volunteer" others in our leagues.

#32735 - 08/15/06 11:34 AM Re: Question about League Officers [Re: Brian Longo]
Anonymous
Unregistered

It doesn't bother me if they are as Brian states, on the whole team and I'll follow right along with him as long as they not abusing the powers of office. It's an altogether thing if they enforce the rules on others but fail to comply with the rules they've set in regards to themselves.

The only lopsided issue that I would see is if that particular team either pre-bowls or post bowls leaving the regular league night empty of officers should an occasion arise that would need their intervention.

#32737 - 08/15/06 11:52 AM Re: Question about League Officers [Re: Anonymous]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Orange County, CA
My first thought was with Angel, God bless them if they want the thankless job - but the anonoymous post above brings up a valid point about the whole team being absent and the need arises for an officer during league play. Hmmm.

Edited by SoCal JC (08/15/06 11:53 AM)

#32742 - 08/15/06 02:52 PM Re: Question about League Officers [Re: SoCal Jeff]
Chris Cenotti Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/M/Northern California
I also agree that if they're doing their job right, then its no problem. But along with the concern about absence would be the concern if there is an issue that requires an officer's intervention that involves that team. I believe there was a post about this a few months ago where the Pres and Vice were on a team that had an issue. In this case it might be hard to get an objective resolution in the moment.

Of course all of that is on the assumption that they are fair-minded people who won't try to take advantage. If that's true then I'd say the possible conflicts are rare enough occurances to not outbalance the work a volunteer will put into the position as opposed to trying to find someone else who didn't readily step up to take the responsibility.

Chris

#32750 - 08/15/06 04:38 PM Re: Question about League Officers [Re: Chris Cenotti]
Rollin' Cowboy Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39/M/Atlanta
Another anonymous post submitted by me is above.

Cal Russell

It takes balls to play this game.

#32757 - 08/15/06 05:13 PM Re: Question about League Officers [Re: Rollin' Cowboy]
Angel Offline

A/S/L: F/So Cal
I tend to give the people in the league the benefit of the doubt. If the bowlers feel that the power is resting in the hands of too few, they'll either vote people out of office, or they'll vote with their feet come the end of the league and bowl something else.

My husband, by USBC, can not be president or vice president of the sport bowling league if I am secretary. I've offered to resign and so far there's no takers. He takes the tapes, coordinates teams, and handles many of the presidential responsibilities. Heck, he does some of the secretarial ones too. We have an elected president, and he definitely helps, but the league is run by a committee of elected and nonelected folks.

#32768 - 08/15/06 07:43 PM Re: Question about League Officers [Re: Angel]
Lefont Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 35/M/Atlanta
Thanks guys for the different opinions. I do too give them the benefit of the doubt and they are great guys. They work really hard. The only problem I see is that it could create unnecesary resentment if the board has to decide something and all four of them have a vote on it, because the other person in their team "has" to be named their "captain".

Last year we had some people complaining because the president's team had a last minute roster change in their team going into the playoffs. Some people got really mad, but the board voted to allowe the replacement. The excuse of the resigning team was illness, but two weeks later he played in a local tournament.

I know some of these folks may not go this situation easily, so I might not even have to bring it up because somebody else will.

MoRich Awesome Hook - 14#
MoRich Total Shock & Awe - 14#
Brunswick Ultra Zone - 14#
MoRich Sahara - 14#

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Unimportant Wood Lane Advice
by 82Boat69 - 03/01/20 02:06 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.