BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#32192 - 06/29/06 05:58 PM Chip by the Fingertip
Tyveil Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Kansas
I just had a pretty good chip come out of my ball where it is drilled.. so my fingertip hole is a little bigger now. The chip is a good 1/4" at least (deep and wide). Since I have an insert it's not really making a huge difference. Is this something I need to get fixed? Also how can it be fixed if so? It needs a chunk of ball affixed to the hole somehow.
15# Quantum (Forest Green) - Dry/Wood
15# White Dot - Spares

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#32193 - 06/29/06 08:56 PM Re: Chip by the Fingertip
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
If the finger holes were not beveled to begin with, I'd take the ball to whomever drilled it for you and have them bevel the non-chipped hole. If the other hole isn't too bad (meaning, not subject to further cracking or affecting your finger's fit), bevel that one out too. Otherwise, it can be plugged or slugged and redrilled.

If you have to take the ball back to the person who drilled it for you because they did not bevel the fingerholes before fitting the inserts, do not let them charge you for it! I say this because they should've done it to begin with.

Beveling the fingerholes (or any hole for that matter) should be done not only for comfort (gripping holes), but also to reduce the risk of damage to the ball whether it's a gripping hole or balance hole. A non-beveled hole cannot sustain a blunt hit to the rim without cracking. However, a beveled hole can sustain some degree of force because it's rounded, not hard-edged.

#32194 - 07/06/06 11:31 AM Re: Chip by the Fingertip
Tyveil Offline
Team USA Contender

Thanks Brian,

I'm going to take the ball in today. I'm not sure if the holes were beveled or not, will have to take a look at that. It is affecting my fit enough I will likely have it plugged and redrilled.
15# White Dot - Spares

#32195 - 07/17/06 02:26 PM Re: Chip by the Fingertip
Tyveil Offline
Team USA Contender

Ack! I just took a good look at my other ball (drilled by the same Pro Shop guy) and it has some significant chipping around the fingertip holes! I didn't notice because most of the chips are still with the ball (glued to the fingertips). I showed him my other ball originally and suggested the fingertip holes weren't beveled enough and he looked at it and said they were - according to him it was just a fluke. Now I notice this on my other ball.... frown

I'm starting to really lose faith in this pro-shop owner.
15# White Dot - Spares

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.