BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#32182 - 06/29/06 09:30 AM Need Help With Chips in My Ball
Cardiac Cat Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 29 /Male /Maryland
Recently the ball return at my local lanes chopped my ball all to **** and I don't know what to do about it. It has about 35 very small chips in it. No cracks, but a lot of little chips. Will a resurfacing help fix this? Please help.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#32183 - 06/29/06 10:10 AM Re: Need Help With Chips in My Ball
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Orange County, CA
Just take to your Pro Shop guy - depending on the size of the chips, resurfacing may fix or on the larger ones they can fill them.

#32184 - 06/29/06 10:18 AM Re: Need Help With Chips in My Ball
Cardiac Cat Offline
Junior Master

Thanks SoCal. That's what I was planning on doing. I bowl in my league tonight so I'm gonna have to use it. How much of an effect can this have on the ball's performance? Again, they are tiny chips, but there's a bunch of 'em.

#32185 - 06/29/06 10:28 AM Re: Need Help With Chips in My Ball
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Orange County, CA
The effect all depends on 2 things - the size of the chips and more importantly if those chips are in your track on the ball. If they are outside the track then they will never come in contact with the lane, but if they're big and in the track, well, that's a different story - good luck

#32186 - 06/29/06 09:07 PM Re: Need Help With Chips in My Ball
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Never fret a chip that's not in your track. Sure, it's ugly, but bowling balls go through a lot of punishment and regardless of the machine can be subject to chips every now and then.

Back when wood was the predominant lane surface, it was not all that uncommon to have hundreds of nicks on your ball, especially in your track. This is known as "tracking". Unless you still bowl on wood you shouldn't see tracking of any sort on your ball.

However, if the chip is deeper than 1/8" and is in your track, take it to the Pro Shop to get it fixed.

As an aside, most drillings nowadays make it where your track rolls over some part of the label. Note that the label depth is about 1/16" to 3/32" deep, so any chip of that variety in your track will not affect your ball's roll unless it covers a wide area.

#32187 - 06/30/06 09:36 PM Re: Need Help With Chips in My Ball
Cardiac Cat Offline
Junior Master

Thanks for the great explanation Brian. I didn't notice any problems when I used it last night, but I spoke to the manager at the bowling alley and he offered to have it fixed for no charge at their Pro Shop so I may as well see what they can do for it. I think mostly that it's just an eye sore. Yes, it does have a few of the chips in my track, however they are no deeper than the label so it shouldn't be a problem. I am mainly just afraid that a little "chip" could turn into something worse if it's not fixed. Thanks again.

#32188 - 07/03/06 10:25 PM Re: Need Help With Chips in My Ball
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by Cardiac Cat:
I am mainly just afraid that a little "chip" could turn into something worse if it's not fixed. Thanks again. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Glad I could help. And as far as the chip, depending on the location of it and how jagged it is, it may or may not develop into a later problem. But, since the manager has offered to have it fixed for free, it won't hurt to have them look at it.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/16/18 09:27 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
End of Days
by Dennis Michael - 07/15/18 07:34 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.