BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31954 - 06/01/06 02:17 PM How to convince someone ELSE to get their own equipment
cheetah Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Seattle, WA/Right-handed
I've been bowling with a particular teammate for 3 years now, and during that time, he's never used his own equipment. For a while, he was using his brother's ball, which is 15+ years old, and had bubble gum holding the 10+ year old inserts in. Now his brother's ball is not available to him and he's been grabbing whichever of my or other teammates' balls that aren't being used on that particular night.

None of these balls fit his hand, and they're never appropriate for the lane conditions (he even used my plastic spare ball one week), yet he's currently averaging 228. Dispite having a brain tumor 10 years ago (before which he had a 210+ average), which damaged his peripheral vision and kept him out of the game for 8 years, he's a hand-eye coordination anomaly.

I know that he would be ridiculous if only he had a ball or three that fit his hand. The only problem is he's been saying for the last 3 years that he'll get a ball, but still hasn't. I've even given him an undrilled ball which he's done nothing with. Sometimes when I ask him why he hasn't bought a ball yet, he asks why bother if he does so well with other peoples'.

How do I convince him to buy his own equipment?

Tim

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#31955 - 06/02/06 07:26 AM Re: How to convince someone ELSE to get their own equipment
bimmerman Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 55/M/Maryland
While I will occasionaly let someone throw one of my ball to see how it reacts, I never let someone use my equipment for leagues, etc. I put enough games on them myself, I don't need help in increasing the wear on them.

Don't let him use your balls, maybe if you (and your teammates) refuse to let him use your equipment, he'll get the idea.

#31956 - 06/02/06 09:24 AM Re: How to convince someone ELSE to get their own equipment
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Or perhaps "rent" him your equipment. Tell him that if he wants to use your stuff, you'll charge him $5 per game to use your equipment. I wouldn't be nice about it myself, but that's me. I don't allow anyone to use my equipment unless they ask me first, and even then, it has to be a ball that I don't roll a whole lot.

#31957 - 06/02/06 10:07 AM Re: How to convince someone ELSE to get their own equipment
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
The only time I have ever let anyone use my equipment is if there is something wrong with theirs, not if they are too lazy/cheap to get their own. I was at a tournament and a buddy of mine was having all sorts of issues with his equipment in the middle of the first game. I let him use one of the ones that I wasn't using for the remainder of the tournament. Something like that should be the exception, not the rule.

#31958 - 06/02/06 06:50 PM Re: How to convince someone ELSE to get their own equipment
cheetah Offline
Action Bowler

I think laziness/lack of motivation, compounded by the lack of a car (he hasn't had one since 1989) are the main reasons he hasn't gotten his act in gear. He's got a good job and lives a meager lifestyle, so the money's not an issue. Maybe for the sake of my equipment and for the team (since we'll all benefit from his increased average) I should give him a friendly ultimatum. I've already given him an undrilled spare ball...

Tim

#31959 - 06/03/06 06:02 AM Re: How to convince someone ELSE to get their own equipment
Goodah Chunky Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: ??/M/State of Euphoria
I agree with Bimmerman. Plus the fact it's in the USBC rules - use your OWN equipment.

#31960 - 06/03/06 08:50 PM Re: How to convince someone ELSE to get their own equipment
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
Be straight up with him about how it's not acceptable and against USBC rules or if you bought him an undrilled ball set some time aside and run him down there to have it drilled while you wait leaving him no way out.

Tell him you paid for the ball and if you damage it that's OK. He runs the risk of buying the ball and making it his own if it comes back damaged during one of his "turns". Maybe some pressure from the team as a whole will help?
Storm - Natural

#31961 - 06/04/06 02:21 AM Re: How to convince someone ELSE to get their own equipment
cheetah Offline
Action Bowler

Hmmm. I think I'll run the USBC rule thing by him. So then none of his scores would count if he used someone else's ball? Interesting.

Tim

#31962 - 06/05/06 07:20 AM Re: How to convince someone ELSE to get their own equipment
bimmerman Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 55/M/Maryland
I don't believe that there is a USBC rule that requires a bowler to only use balls they own. If I remember correctly, the only equipment restrictions are that only USBC cetified equipment can be used in sanctioned leagues or tournaments. There are no restrictions on using another bowlers equipment, unless the league or tournament makes that a rule.

#31963 - 06/05/06 01:31 PM Re: How to convince someone ELSE to get their own equipment
Just call me Al Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 63/M/ Long Island, NY - right ...
Hey! let me see if I have this right. A member of your team is averaging 228 (did I read that right?) He doesn't have his own ball and he has some sort of a physical handicap.

If he wants to be on my team and averages 228, I can find an old ball for him to use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 0 seconds ago
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Today at 08:42 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - Today at 08:29 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.