BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31818 - 05/16/06 10:37 PM Need some gear advice for a sports league.
Jdhaze Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
I have a sports league starting this week and im not sure what equipment to concentrate on. I was injured a month ago and although am fine now, it took away all the time I was going to use to practice and get used to some new gear. So im trying to decide to continue to use the older stuff that im familiar with, and spend my practice time working on mechanics. Or to use what little practice time I have now to get used to some new stuff.

What I usually use is:

Smokin Inferno, drilled for length and a strong arc, pin up, oob surface.

Original Inferno, with rough buff on it, pin next to the ring.

Scorchin Inferno, oob cover, drilled for max flare and hook.

Plastic spare ball.

What I picked up to try but havent yet:

Monster Bruiser, oob finish, drilled for med hook, early read and controlled arc.

Track Angular Particle, oob, drilled pin over the bridge, cg in the palm.

Absolute Inferno, not punched up yet.

I plan on using the Scorchin and my spare ball, its the other two I cant decide on. I really dont want to lug more than 4 balls around and think anymore than that will just confuse me.

Ive been warned that the Smokin will be too jumpy on a sports condition, and I also find the Original Inferno, even with the Rough Buff on it, to be a little jumpy off the drys.

The Monster Bruiser reads earlier than anything I have and has a nice steady arc, but ive only used it a couple of times. I havent decided to leave it polished up or dull it down a bit.

The Angular Particle, gets down the lane nicely with that drilling, and is snappy on the back end, but only moves 1/2 the boards my Smokin does.

I picked up the Absolute to replace the Original, but havent had it drilled up yet.

So I guess im trying to decide to use equipment that ive been told isnt the best for sports conditions, but I know the reactions well. Vs using gear more tailored to sports conditions, but is new to me.

The ole the devil you know vs the devil you dont smile

thanks for any advice

JD

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#31819 - 05/16/06 11:36 PM Re: Need some gear advice for a sports league.
lorok Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/male/albuquerque
hey jd. just read some things you posted about the lane conditions on another site. i think that what you should worry about more than what ball you use is coverstock/drilling combos. if they are going to use heavy volume (especially a 50' flat shot) then i'd say you'd need a particle ball, dull coverstock drilled to roll/arc early. other than that, it's a league. bring a med/light ball and a spare ball and you should be fine.

#31820 - 05/16/06 11:49 PM Re: Need some gear advice for a sports league.
Jdhaze Offline
Action Bowler

Thanks Lorok. Right now I dont have a dull or agresive particle ball, I traded my Trifecta as it wasnt working for me. So the Scorchin is the best I can do for heavy volume. If I have to im not afraid to play strait up the boards with it. Its the ball I know best other than the Smokin, so will probably be my go to ball most of the time.

JD

#31821 - 05/17/06 12:50 AM Re: Need some gear advice for a sports league.
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
For a sport condition, you want predictable ball reaction. I would think the smokin would be too jumpy for that type of condition unless you have an eagle eye for accuracy. Of course it matters what volume of oil they put out. 50 feet of thin oil is a lot different than 50 feet of heavy oil. Whichever ball gives you the most predictable reaction on a given pattern, is what you should use.

I'm like lorok though, I am also bowling on PBA patterns this summer. I will bring my X Factor no matter what. I will have a spare ball also. I will take two other balls. Probably my Fear Factor (particle) and my Too Hot (pearlized, low differential,low flare ball). For heavier oil, I will bring my Thrash (particle pearl) instead of the Too Hot, or my Deuce ( Solid ). I won't carry more than 4 balls to this league. I will probably use the X Factor and the Deuce most of the time.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#31822 - 05/17/06 12:32 PM Re: Need some gear advice for a sports league.
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Like Smooth says, something consistent.

Maybe even urethane. You, yourself say that the Monster Bruiser is a more steady arc. Sounds like that would be the ball to start with. On a Sport Shot you don't need a hooking ball. And if they have strong backends (like nearly 100% of the shots I've seen) then you definately do NOT want something with the pin over the bridge or fingers. You need predictability and controlability.

Erin

#31823 - 05/18/06 11:15 AM Re: Need some gear advice for a sports league.
Jdhaze Offline
Action Bowler

Well I lugged all my gear to the lanes yesterday and did some experimentation.

With an Absolute to drill up I decided to take the rough buff off my Original Inferno, and took it up to 1000 wet sanded. It still gets decent length but it really smoothed out the back end.

I checked out some specs on sport shot conditions, and thank you for pointing out about the clean backends Erin. I love the extra power my Smokin gets from them, but even on a ths it can get a little too much, so im giving that ball the summer off as some of you suggested.

The Scorchin doesnt exactly read as early as a dull particle ball,and I would say about 60-70% of its hook is on the back end, esp if I get around the ball, but it moves the most in oil and is predictable.

I played a lot with the Bruiser and its growing on me. I got it for fun to replace the Quantum I had stolen and even on todays conditions that mushroom core and the pk 18 coverstock still perform well. Polished it has a little too much length so I think im going to take it down to 800 grit. Its very a very smooth ball and carries well even with a medium arcing hook. So I think it will make a good safety net ball when everything else is over reacting.

I think I'll go with thoes 3 and my spare ball for now. After 7 games of practice,(1 just shooting 7 and 10 pins) I only had 2 baby splits and the rest were easy spares. Which is right where I want to be, in the pocket leaving makeable spares. It should be a fun and challanging summer smile

Thanks again for eveyones input, I really appreciate it!\

JD

#31824 - 05/21/06 12:33 PM Re: Need some gear advice for a sports league.
BillinPhilly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 50 / M / Malvern, PA
I just got the Bowling This Month 2005 Ball Review guide, and the ball they rate very high for the Sport condition is the Morich Sahara.

"The Sport pattern didn't look so tough the day we tested the Sahara. We had to make sure the oil machine was working properly, so we pulled out soe other balls to see whether it really was a sport pattern we were bowling on. It definitely was a sport pattern."

They also rate the Ebonite Black Ice as a very good Sport conditon ball.

#31825 - 05/21/06 06:16 PM Re: Need some gear advice for a sports league.
Goodah Chunky Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: ??/M/State of Euphoria
On sport leagues they try to mix up the thickness and length of the oil to mix it up but still maintain the ratio of the thickness of the oil between the middle and the edges. You might end up needing all your equipment to handle all types of conditions and it will rely on accuracy of shot making which the league emphasizes.

#31826 - 05/22/06 11:28 PM Re: Need some gear advice for a sports league.
Jdhaze Offline
Action Bowler

Well the first night they put out a 41 ft flood.
Well it felt like a flood to me and most everyone else. They said there was about 50 units of oil in the heaviest part of the lane.

I ended up using my most aggresive ball the Scorchin. Nobody was getting the ball to move much, even with particle equipment and thumbless cranking styles. So a more aggressive ball woudlnt have helped me I dont think.

I ended up standing on 15, laying the ball down on 8 with the breakpoint around 11, and was getting to the pocket consistently. I left mostly makeable spares and only had 5 opens for the night, including a missed 7 pin, 2 splits and 2 chopped pin spares. Ended up shooting a 572, which is about 3 pins over my regular season average smile

I was more prepared for this than most people. I think 8 out of 10 people tried to swing their first or second ball and it slid right into the gutter. The hardest part for most people was to mentally accept the fact that the lanes were not going to hook like they normally do. One of my teamates was still coming in light in the middle of the second game before he finally gave up and shot strait at the pocket. There was no truer test of having to work with what the lanes give you than this kind of shot.

Overall im very happy with the experience and my performance. I was very relaxed with my release and didnt try to force the ball or try to make it hook more. Because of that I was hitting my mark dead on most of the time, and when I missed by even a board, you knew it smile

I look forward to next week!

JD

#31827 - 05/24/06 08:58 AM Re: Need some gear advice for a sports league.
BillinPhilly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 50 / M / Malvern, PA
I have never had the opportunity to try a sport pattern, I don't think any of the centers near me do one. But I would love to try it.

The thing I notice, and I don't know if there's something to this, is that all the bowling balls that are rated highly for sport pattern are not aggressive heavy oil balls. In fact, they are all highly rated dry lane and light oil balls.

In the testing done by Bowling This Month magazine, they rate the Morich Sahara, the Ebonite Black Ice, and Hammer Pure Hammer all very highly for sport pattern.

The Sahara is rated 9 for dry lanes, 5 for medium lanes, and 3 for oily lanes. 8 for sport. The Black ice is rated 9 for dry lanes, 7 for medium lanes, and 3 for oily lanes. 8.5 for sport. The Pure Hammer is rated 9 for dry lanes, 4 for medium lanes, and 3 for oily lanes. 8 for sport. These are all on a 1-10 scale.

So unless I'm missing something, it seems their research is saying the dry lane balls are the balls of choice for the sport pattern - even though the normal thought train would be to go to a heavier oil ball for more oil.

Just as another couple examples, the Storm X-Factor Trifecta, which is one of the strongest heavy oil balls, is rated 3 for dry, 9 for medium, 8.5 for oil, and that has a sport rating of only 4. The Brunswick Strike Zone, which is another ball designed for heavier oil, is rated 4 for dry, 8 for medium, and 9 for oil, but only 5 for sport.

So it seems the more aggressive a ball is on oil, the worse it is for a sport pattern, and the better it is on dry, the better it is for sport.

At least that's how I'm reading this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.