BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31428 - 04/15/06 01:05 AM "NIB" and "2nd" bowling balls?
mkee19 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/MD
Can anyone explain to me exactly what these are?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#31429 - 04/15/06 01:26 AM Re: "NIB" and "2nd" bowling balls?
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Most people will tell you that its just cosmetic issues. But to me those are "blems". 2nds are going to have weird pin placements (too far pins or too close pins) in addition to the blem issues. Also the CG may not be actually where they say it is. But that goes for some manufacterers "firsts" too. But seconds can be some very weird pin to cg placements which makes the ball hard to drill and perform. Plus if the ball has a mass bias then you've added a whole new additional problem to the equation. Without a very talented driller, I would not expect much from a "second". Because you really don't know what you're getting.

If you are not an experienced driller and high level bowler....do not buy seconds from the internet. For you, you still have a fantastic learning curve to take advantage of, don't let a second rate ball slow you down for any price.

Lets look at it from a different point of view. If you are learning something (doesn't matter if its bowling, track or playing piano). Doesnt' it make sense to have the basic component (the ball, the correct shoes or the piano) to be in its best working condition? Or how else will a learning person know if they are being held back by poor equipment?

Erin

#31430 - 04/15/06 10:41 AM Re: "NIB" and "2nd" bowling balls?
mkee19 Offline
Action Bowler

I see, I was just wondering what it was exactly. I know for sure when I see "blem" the red flag goes up. I dont plan on buying anything thats a "blem" the word just sounds defective. It probly doesnt matter anyways, b/c I think my mind is made up on the pearl ball I was shopping around for, and I'm just gonna order it from my pro-shop.

#31431 - 04/15/06 11:52 PM Re: "NIB" and "2nd" bowling balls?
DG Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: California
Mkee,

If you are still wondering, "NIB", is an internet abbreviation for "new in box".
Anyway, I like your diea of buying from your Pro Shop. That is a nice way to go.

#31432 - 04/16/06 01:14 AM Re: "NIB" and "2nd" bowling balls?
mkee19 Offline
Action Bowler

Yea, I was trying find the best "bargain". I bought my last two balls from the Pro Shop, was was hoping I could catch a steal. Ohh well, human nature I guess...lol

#31433 - 04/18/06 07:05 AM Re: "NIB" and "2nd" bowling balls?
Goodah Chunky Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: ??/M/State of Euphoria
As my general rule of thumb, NEVER EVER get 2nds, blems, bonanzas and balls that you have no idea what the pin placement and top weight is.

#31434 - 04/18/06 08:06 AM Re: "NIB" and "2nd" bowling balls?
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
mkee19 - The thing you have to look at is what your Pro Shop is going to charge you to drill the ball and add grips and a slug (if you use them). In the end you probabaly won't save all that much, and they probably won't take care of you as well. If I figured out all the things that I got discounts on or didn't get charged for at all, it's probably still cheaper than buying balls on the Internet.

EDIT: I still will buy things like tape and finger grips in bulk on the Internet though.

#31435 - 04/18/06 05:44 PM Re: "NIB" and "2nd" bowling balls?
Mutilated1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 36/Male/Pell City AL, Right Ha...
Its probably good to be careful when you get a Blem, but my favorite ball at the moment is a Blem. I got it shortly after I started and didn't really know any better, of course if you buy a blem on eBay you really can't be sure what your getting so be carefull. But heck you can get one for $40-$50 most of the time, another $30 to get it set up - could be worth the risk. I mean after all at worst case you're out $100 or so, thats not that bad. If you don't like it you can always throw it away and get another its not like you're married to the ball or anything.

#31436 - 04/18/06 08:18 PM Re: "NIB" and "2nd" bowling balls?
mkee19 Offline
Action Bowler

I bought my first two balls from my Pro Shop. I was tryin to see if I could cut any corners on price. It doesnt matter, I went ahead and got a Super Sport Pearl, they should have it in tomorrow. My Pro Shop guy is too cool, I just couldnt get myself to look elsewhere. He watches me bowl all the time, and I sometimes bowl right with him, so he already knows my style. I'm sure he's gonna get the reaction I'm lookin for with this one. I cant wait to throw it!

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/16/18 09:27 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
End of Days
by Dennis Michael - 07/15/18 07:34 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.