BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30727 - 02/24/06 08:14 AM Cracked my ball
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
In November, I bought a new Columbia EPX T1. I loved the ball. Since using it, I have rolled 298, 300 and 2 700 series.
Last month, while practicing, I bowled 2 games and was in the 8th frame of game 3, when I wiped my ball off with my towel. The towel snagged on the opposite side of the holes. I turned the ball over to find a 4" x 5" jagged edged crack in the coverstock. There seemed to be an impact mark in the center.
My alley checked the mechanism on the lane I was on to find nothing out of the ordinary.
My Pro Shop, however, said there have been a few problems with the ball, especially in the first shipment.
He replaced the ball free.

Has anyone else experienced this with this ball or something similar? It disturbs me.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#30728 - 02/24/06 10:57 AM Re: Cracked my ball
Matt Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 15/M/La
My friends used Ebonite Tarnado warning cracked about Two weeks after he got it.
Lane#1 15lb Black Cherry Bomb
Ebonite 15lb v2 Clean
Light Oil-Ebonite 14lb Tarnado

#30729 - 02/24/06 12:39 PM Re: Cracked my ball
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
There've been several complains on other forums and such about the EPX cracking. I've not seen it personally because our shop won't carry the ball. I haven't seen one for sale in our town since it first came out.

Erin

#30730 - 02/24/06 02:37 PM Re: Cracked my ball
bigwavedave Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 33/M/Seattle
Yes this has been an issue with the first of the of these balls shipped thus they replaced the ball for free. It doesn't seem to be a problem now. I have not seen one of these balls either. Apparently it was a problem with the compound drying to fast...

#30731 - 02/24/06 11:19 PM Re: Cracked my ball
84transam Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 36/m/cranking left hander
I have been trying to crack one of my balls lol. I have been leaving my pink hammer outside in below freezing temps over night and then in the morning I pour boiling water over the ball hoping it will crack in two. I just want to see if I could possibly get a complete weight block out of the ball intact, the ball is shot, so not much else to do with the ball otherwise.
1-289 game
several 700's
757 high series
balls of choice are the Black,Red,Blue,Pink Hammers and also the Nail made back in 1987.
2 Axe's on the way (1 Blue,1 Black)so looking forward to throwing them.

#30732 - 02/27/06 11:53 AM Re: Cracked my ball
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
A friend of mine also had to have his EPX repaired due to cracking. I have had a Columbia Bully replaced once, a Hyde repaired twice and a Columbia Detour I have has also chipped and cracked. I do not leave my balls in a cold/or hot car, I take care of my equipment, Pro Shop rejuvenates them when needed etc. The Pro Shop where I shop has said that Columbia is aware of a problem with some of their coverstocks. I am hesitant on purchasing another Columbia product right now, and thats too bad because Columbia has a vast selection of balls in which to choose from. I have just ordered an Ebonite Big One. Has anyone experienced this problem./

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#30733 - 02/27/06 03:04 PM Re: Cracked my ball
CHawk15 Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 29 / M / Tucson, AZ
I've heard the same thing about the EPX, I like Columbia 300 but the one thing that irritates me about them is that the coverstocks are very thin. So I'm not exactly surprised when I hear about cracking issues. I don't think you'll have a problem with the Big One. Good luck finding a house with enough oil to throw it for 3 games though.

#30734 - 02/27/06 09:10 PM Re: Cracked my ball
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Good luck finding a house with enough oil to throw it for 3 games though. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">There's too much oil for it on our house shot and tons of carry down. I move right/outside all three games and use a sanded to 180 Bully or 360 sanded Weapon of Mass Bias at about the 7 board parallel.

I only used The One at our house for about 2 weeks before I took it down to 1000 grit sanded. Then it still wasn't reacting, so went to the other equipment. The Big One is duller then The One, but not enough to wade through the flood we have. Unles I want to slow my ball speed down to about 12 or so.

Erin

#30735 - 02/28/06 01:08 AM Re: Cracked my ball
Saint-Jake Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: m/52/Earth
Atochabsh </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">

I only used The One at our house for about 2 weeks before I took it down to 1000 grit sanded. Then it still wasn't reacting, so went to the other equipment. The Big One is duller then The One, but not enough to wade through the flood we have. Unles I want to slow my ball speed down to about 12 or so.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">What drill pattern do you have on your "The One"?

#30736 - 02/28/06 10:43 AM Re: Cracked my ball
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Uh, oh
Maybe I made a mistake with the Big One. I usually bowl on medium to heavy oil, not a flood.
When I asked about another ball (the XXXcel by Ebonite) my Pro Shop steered me towards The Big One instead. I have a Columbia Bully, I was replacing a Hyde that crumbled up last week for the second time. I wanted a little more aggressive ball than the Bully. Now I wonder if I should reconsider. I pick up The Big One later this week... Hmmmmm.... undecided

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 10/18/18 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.