BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#29677 - 11/30/05 11:37 PM Discussion with pro shop guy about Brunswick and heavy oil
Pin Bomber Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 31/Male/Central Florida
So here's the story...I am a high speed, low rev stroker who loves to play straight down the 2nd and into the pocket. If my Inferno doesn't hook the 10 boards or so, I go to my Absolute Inferno or even my Ultimate Inferno. Until now, this has worked and I have basically been able to stay around the 2nd arrow.

However, in my scratch league, it is a long, wide, and flooded oil pattern, and even my Ultimate isn't hooking at all and slowing down has not helped. It's like throwing plastic down the lane. Changing lines hasn't yeilded any results either.

So, I mention this to the Pro Shop guy who says that I need a heavy oil ball. I tell him I have an Ultimate Inferno, but he says "no, that isn't a heavy oil ball"

Basically he says that while it is a heavy oil ball by Brunswick standards compared to the other Brunswick balls, he said it isn't really meant for the type of oil I am talking about even though they are described by Brunswick to be for heavy oil.

He then suggested the Hammer Hawg as a heavy oil ball. In the end, he said that none of the Brunswick balls was really going to help me in that much oil. (I didn't ask about the new Strike Zone which is listed by Brunswick as a heavy oil ball).

So, it this guy right about the Inferno balls not being 'true' heavy oil balls? Even if I had the Ultimate sanded to 400 wet sand is there something about the Hawg or a MoRich Total Shock and Awe that is different and going to help me out in this situation?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#29678 - 12/01/05 06:03 AM Re: Discussion with pro shop guy about Brunswick and heavy oil
neb5482 Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 25/m/Buffalo, NY
Well in my understanding, you need a particle ball for heavy oil patterns. I play the same line as you in a flood. My absolute goes straight as an arrow on it, so I use my Morich Weapon of mass bias, or if that is hooking to much my Brunswich HPD, They work pretty well. If your ultimate isnt hooking at all, there prob isnt much you can do since it already comes in an 800grit finish and the 400 wont make all that much of a difference.

If you are partial to brunswick balls, I believe they have a ball called the Goliath which is a particle ball that may get the hook your looking for in the oil. There are alot of balls out there that will work in the oil as your describe it. Track GP2, Morich WMB, The Hammer Hawg to name a few.

#29679 - 12/01/05 07:20 AM Re: Discussion with pro shop guy about Brunswick and heavy oil
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I think you need to play around with a different release to impart a different rotation on the ball. I use a Deuce for heavy oil. Let me tell you that I have yet to run into lane conditions too heavy for my Deuce. The Deuce is a matte reactive ball like your Ultimate Inferno is. It's plenty strong. Definitely strong enough for heavy oil. It's the bowler not the ball. You don't put any axis rotation on the ball so the ball can't do it's job.
You can't expect to stay in the same spot for every lane condition. Have you tried the first arrow? Maybe the lanes are oiled 7-7. Go down to the lanes and look at them. Just walk down to the foul line and look down. What do you see? If you see the oil taper off around 5 or so then that is where you have to bowl. If what you are doing now isn't working, you have to try something different. You need to practice playing each arrow. During practice try playing one game at the first arrow. the next game at the second arrow. The third game at the 3rd arrow and so on. Figure out a way to reach the pocket at each arrow. I guarantee it will improve your game! This was one of Mark Roth's practice methods and taught him how to play anywhere on the lane.

try it. Don't be married to one line, play the field and play the condition the lanes give you. experiment. Any ball needs some dry part of the lane to give you a reaction. You need to find it. unless they oil for 60 feet there is a part of the lane that is dry. move right until you get a reaction.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#29680 - 12/01/05 08:00 AM Re: Discussion with pro shop guy about Brunswick and heavy oil
Pin Bomber Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 31/Male/Central Florida
I really did try a few other lines, even trying the 1-2 board with no success. I too like to go down and actually look at the oil on the lane, but the only place it seemed to lighen up a tad was 1/2 way out on the 1 board! And on top of that it is a very long pattern.

On any other lane on any other alley I can usually adjust or find a decent line, but this one particular pattern is killing me (50 pins off my normal average). Many others also are off on their averages, but not by that much.

I thought of looking into getting one of Brunswick's asymmetrical zone balls-I hear the strike zone is for heavy oil. Would an asymmetric get me into an earlier roll?

#29681 - 12/01/05 10:13 AM Re: Discussion with pro shop guy about Brunswick and heavy oil
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Nothing hooks in oil. Bubble gum doesn't hook in oil. You will not find a magic pill in a new ball for your condition. And it will make a big difference if your Ultimate is at 400 vs 800. Heck, I take my Bully down to 320. But you are not going to get more hook, you'll get earlier hook. And earlier hook will allow the ball to read the lane better and react when it does find a bit of dry.

Like Stroker says, you need to experiment more with playing the lanes. You might not get to play 10 board on this shot, you might have to play 3 board at the foul line dots in order to get some reaction from your ball. You might have to point the ball into the pocket instead of going parallel or swinging the ball. If you are aiming the arrows, or a breakpoint, then you are not putting the ball onto the lane early enough for that condition.

In answer to your question </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Would an asymmetric get me into an earlier roll?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Not necessarily. Coverstock prep at 400 will, slower ball speed will, less side rotation, more up the back of the ball will, setting the ball down on the lane earlier will. Maybe its going to take all these things. Good luck,

Erin

#29682 - 12/20/05 03:50 AM Re: Discussion with pro shop guy about Brunswick and heavy oil
Don Smith Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 39/ Male/ Ohio
Pinbomber,

I agree with smooth stroker on this one, try getting a different release on this one. That is what I had to do, and it worked. I couldn't find a ball that worked in oil, now everything in my bag I can make work in oil, to some degree. Low track players, inverted tracks, spinners are going to have more trouble in the oil. So release is critical in heavy oil. I'm not so sure on all what the rep told you, but I will say this, 800grit is not all that aggresive for heavy oil. I use 320 burgandy scratch pad. I've even seen websites that say 500, and 600grit is for medium lanes. But it really is all trial and error, heck, if I threw like some of these young guns, I could throw 1,500 polished in a puddle too.

#29683 - 12/20/05 08:00 AM Re: Discussion with pro shop guy about Brunswick and heavy oil
Goodah Chunky Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: ??/M/State of Euphoria
Since you love that 10 board as your target, why don't you move to the right? Move one board at a time until you get the right line...

#29684 - 12/26/05 11:35 AM Re: Discussion with pro shop guy about Brunswick and heavy oil
gauchoy2k Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 35/yes/NYC
I was told to move my feet and keep the same strike arrow. I've been bowling for about 1 1/2 half now and my avg this year has jumped 35 points.I use every bit of good advise that i can get.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/16/18 09:27 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
End of Days
by Dennis Michael - 07/15/18 07:34 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.