BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#29139 - 10/07/05 12:18 AM what weight ball do you use, strike and spare
newguy101 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 32 male san diego
simple question from the new guy, i know what feels comfortable for me, but just wanting to know the specs of more experieced players....feel free to ad body structure as well....skinny, stocky, heavy......what ever, thanks

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#29140 - 10/07/05 12:37 AM Re: what weight ball do you use, strike and spare
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I've used 15 lbs for years now. I've gained about 60lbs (getting old sucks) in the last few years and I'm still using the same weight. When I was slim, I was probably around 150lbs at 5' 10". Let's just say....I'm heavier now. ::sigh:: Gratefully, I'm still averaging over 200, but you never know....if I lost weight, maybe I could get lower at the foul line, gain more leverage. All kinds of things. Maybe I'd be 215 if I lost 50lbs.

One of my problems is that I have more speed then revolutions. It makes the ball drill through the pin rack instead of scattering it. So one of the things I tried was drilling up a 16lber. I picked a familiar ball and its reaction characteristics. BUT...my wrist is just not strong enough to place the ball accurately where I want it on a regular basis. My ball speed was still pretty good. My arm swing still good. But that took care of that idea. I could, I guess, build up my wrist strength, but I've been very sucessful with 15lbs. I just need to learn how to tone down the speed to better match the revs.

See, if you just drill through the pins you don't carry. If you hit the pins so hard that you send them flying too high...you don't carry. Carry is the name of the game. So its more fine tuning as to what works best for your style and body build that's needed.

Erin

#29141 - 10/07/05 01:40 AM Re: what weight ball do you use, strike and spare
rcasey Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/Chicago
Alright, I'll chime in. I currently have 2 newer high performance balls, both at 15 lbs. I also have an old white dot from about 12 years ago that is 16 lbs. I recently switched from 16 to 15 lbs on a suggestion from a bowling coach that the extra weight was one of the causes for me to "top" the bowling ball, or not having enough wrist strength to stay behind the ball. The weight change has certainly helped. Between that and several other changes, I'm getting quite a few more revs on the ball.

I'm 5'11", 180 lbs. I work out and jog several times during the week. When it gets cold in the winter, I play DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) for hours at a time. While my body is certainly strong enough for a 16 lb. ball, my wrist is my weak link. I'm currently doing wrist exercises to try and strengthen it, but it doesn't keep me from playing. I simply focus on my strengths as much as I can and hone them to the best of my ability.

One of the major keys to my game is my knee bend. Think Parker Bohn. I'm all about using my leg muscles to get deep over my knee and slide foot so I can have a more relaxed grip on the ball.

#29142 - 10/07/05 03:07 AM Re: what weight ball do you use, strike and spare
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
rcasey......

Man I hate you!!!! LOL

Oh yeah, I forget... you are only 27. I've still got some time on ya.

Erin

#29143 - 10/07/05 08:21 AM Re: what weight ball do you use, strike and spare
Just call me Al Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 63/M/ Long Island, NY - right ...
my turn.
I'm one of the older folks in my league (62). I stand 6' and weigh 205. Average - around 220. I have been throwing 15# for about 10 years. I had gotten into a tournament and run out of gas after 9 games. So I figured the extra lb might help.

I used to be fairly active athletically, then it was down to 1 night at arobics with the wife. Now, after finally going to the Dr. with what I thought was a pulled groin, they told me that I have athritis in the left hip. So its better bowling through chemestry (pain killers) until next year when I go for the new hip. How bad is it? Its rough to tie my shoes..
And Erin, from someone as young as you, I don't want to hear about how getting old suck!

#29144 - 10/07/05 09:21 AM Re: what weight ball do you use, strike and spare
Mutilated1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 36/Male/Pell City AL, Right Ha...
I'm about 6'2" 195lbs, basically slim-build other than a little beer belly. I throw 15# balls, except for certain spares where I feel its better to throw straight I use a #16 ball. I might do better with a 15# ball, but #16 is what I have and honestly it seems a little easier to set it down on the right board when bowling straight.

#29145 - 10/07/05 01:06 PM Re: what weight ball do you use, strike and spare
Sheldon Offline

A/S/L: Grumpy Old Man / Northwest VT
The real answer in choosing between a 16 lbs. and 15 lbs. ball is always first one must consider their physical condition. If one does not have any physical problems with their arms, shoulders, wrist, hand, legs and knees etc.; and if they have the physical strength to throw a 16 lbs. ball for at least 4 games without tiring, then and only then, he or she should throw the heavier ball. It will have better carry and that is worth a lot in each game and each series. However, if there are physical problems or problems with strength or getting tired; the 15 lbs. ball is preferable as sooner or later the person with problems will not be able to throw the 16 lbs. ball. There is a little giveup with the lighter ball but scoring will still be respectable. I have seen many 700 sereis thrown with a 15 lbs. and at least a dozen or so 298 and 200 games. I don't think I have ever seen a 300 thrown with one; however, there aren't that many 300 games thrown as compared with games in the 290's. I have seen many games rolled in the 290's with 16 lbs. balls. All of the 800 series I have seen thrown have been with 16 lbs. balls.
By the way, I have seen many seniors that could not throw a 15 lbs. ball, bowl very well producing excellent scores using a 14 lbs. or even a 13 lbs. ball.

The final comment is bowl with a comfortable weight ball; one that you can control well and one that your body can handle without pain every time you bowl.

#29146 - 10/07/05 05:53 PM Re: what weight ball do you use, strike and spare
Tyveil Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Kansas
I'm 29, male, 178 lbs.

My ball bag consists of Track Xception2.0 15 lbs (Oily-Medium), Quantum 15 lbs (Medium-Dry), and Whitedot 15 lbs (Plastic spare ball).

My highest sustained average is 176, though it's hit 190's. My usual average is in the 155-170 range. I'm a stroker, and I throw anywhere from 14 to 20 mph depending on the lane (I think my actual throw is 17 mph but the lane speedometers just differ alot).
15# Quantum (Forest Green) - Dry/Wood
15# White Dot - Spares

#29147 - 10/07/05 07:27 PM Re: what weight ball do you use, strike and spare
Bikedad Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 57/male/New Zealand. Right han...
Good advice from Sheldon. I am (very slowly) recovering from a wrist injury that was bad enough to make bowling very difficult and painful. I purchased a 13 lb particle ball and had it drilled so that it would produce a nice arc into the pocket without having to strain to achieve the movement. With that, I was able to continue to enjoy my bowling. The wrist is getting stronger now and I am up to using a 14lb ball regularly and can use 15 for about one game before it starts hurting again, so... keep the weight where you can bowl comfortably for at least four games in a row and you won't have a problem. Good bowling.

#29148 - 10/07/05 08:00 PM Re: what weight ball do you use, strike and spare
cheetah Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Seattle, WA/Right-handed
I used a 16lb ball for years until someone suggested going down to 15 to gain some flexibility and consistency. I guess it allowed me to throw harder if I wanted to. I'm not all that muscular, but I've got speed on my side. I'm 28, about 6', and 160lbs. When I threw a 16lb ball, I was 18, 6', and 135lbs. By the way, growing up skinny isn't all that great; kids can be mean.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - 12/14/18 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.