BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#28393 - 09/26/05 02:34 PM Re: getting quality lessons
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: morton grove,il
Erin
How are you today?. Well sunday started out better
then went better and then in last game fissled.
I had rail problem first game 175. Second got few
strikes 193. Last game about 7th frame got lazy
and started interupting swing. Last three frames
had strike and two opens 148. The mental mistakes
are happening two often even though i know what to do.
Question one I am right handed bowler use bd 20 with left foot to line up. I use first target 2nd arrow and look at 6 pin for one second and then go back to first target. Is this ok?
Second question. When I shoot for ten pin with spare ball I go left to 36 and use 4th arrow. Why do I drop shoulder and miss pin in the channel? I need your help. bowling joel sorry for the lenght

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#28394 - 09/26/05 06:03 PM Re: getting quality lessons
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Well, for me, its easier to move further left and aim 20 board (middle arrow) for 10 pins. I guess I have more margin of error there for me. But now that you are thinking of these things, you'll just have to find a line that is best suited for you. The dropping the shoulder I don't really understand what causes it. Maybe your coaches can tell you better. But I just remind myself to stand tall and lower at the hips not the waist and it seems to fix it for me.

Its really not uncommon to fall off after two really nice games. The mental toughness that is required to get through all the games is aquired over time. And even then it doesn't always happen. You can get mentally tired and after two really good games, you may have fallen prey to that condition. Your start up at 20 and aiming 10, breaking at around the 6 pin area is probably fine, because you know what kind of lane conditions you have. But that's probably not why you opened in that 148 game. Just keep in mind that the shot you start with is not set in stone.

Erin

#28395 - 10/02/05 04:29 PM Re: getting quality lessons
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

Erin
You are correct. Today sunday, I did it as I told
you I would. Started 20,left 19,right. All was rosy, as I got the ball over the line and made sure I watched the ball go over the target and to
the pit. 226 with lots of strikes and the rest spares. I missed only 1 ten pin today so I think
that part is on the way to being solved. I just
have to get the ball over the line and on target.
Second game not bad but the lanes broke down. 169
The last game I was thinking to much I could feel
I was. 156. I averaged 183 and will make improvements from here. Thanks and until next time
keep smiling as I am. bowling joel

#28396 - 10/05/05 02:52 PM Re: getting quality lessons
rcasey Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/Chicago
Hey Joel,

Erin is correct. Moving yourself left gives you an advantage on right corner pins. The more angle you can get to the 10 pin, the more mistake area you end up getting. On normal conditions, I'll line my left foot up on 36 or 37 and aim at board 20 (the middle arrow). With my polyester ball, it is often the same shot in any house. Good luck!

Bob

#28397 - 10/05/05 06:19 PM Re: getting quality lessons
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

R Casey
Good day and nice to hear from you. Thanks and
I will try to follow what you have told me. I will
line up left foot on 36 and hit middle arrow. I
bet I will have good news for you on saturday. I
bowl on friday. Again nice to hear from you.
Good bowling and have a nice week. bowling joel

#28398 - 10/05/05 06:30 PM Re: getting quality lessons
rcasey Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/Chicago
Joel,

Use that as a starting point. Don't feel you cannot tweak where you are standing a little left or right depending on how much your ball is grabbing the lane. I cannot remember if you have a polyester spare ball or not. If you do, 36 will be about where you want to stand. If you are using a high performance ball for your 10-pin shots, then you will most likely have to move left of 36 while keeping the middle arrow as your target. Of course, this also depends on if you drift up to the line and if you do, by how many boards you drift and in what direction. I'm not going to say that 36 is going to work for you, but at least it gives you a starting point, right?

Oh, one other thing. This is a big thing, actually. Make sure during the practice time your league gives you that you try to pick up the 10 pin a few times. This will allow you to make the adjustments during practice so that when you end up leaving a 10-pin during the league, which is going to happen, you'll have already done it that night. I love having that confidence that I've already picked-up whatever I'm facing, so doing it again will be a piece of cake.

Okay, that's it for now. Go give that 10-pin heck on Friday night. Let us know how it went when you get a chance. Oh, and remember to have fun. smile

#28399 - 10/06/05 04:01 AM Re: getting quality lessons
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

rcasey has a great point that is worth reiterating......in league practise...try a few shots at the 10 pin and the 7 pin. Doesn't matter what hand you throw with. Give a few shots to the corners so that you have a feeling for how much oil is in the middle. You've got 36 frames to work on your strike ball, but if you miss your corner pins you've just handicapped yourself.

Erin

#28400 - 10/08/05 02:54 PM Re: getting quality lessons
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

Casey
Erin
Ok you two here is what happened friday. I tried
some different foot work and should not have done
it. I lined up normal place on 20 bd but used inside edge of shoe on that spot instead of using
middle of shoe which I had been doing. 135. was
completely lost and did not releaize what was happening. Changed back next game but was still
fishing. 156. Found the stuff in last game and by
then I was crazy 164. From now on I do what was
working on sunday everywhere I go and adjust from
there. Casey you where right about ten pin I picked them all up from 37 and hitting middle arrow. Thanks Erin I will use 20 and nineteen on
sunday. Does it make a difference which one is 20
and which is 19. I have been going with 20 left and 19 right. joel

#28401 - 10/08/05 04:36 PM Re: getting quality lessons
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

Joel, it depends on the oil on the lane and how warmed up you are. Heck, you may have to stand 17. YOu have to read your ball and not be so set in stone where you start. Realize that when you start your ball speed is not up to normal, ball will hook more. As you warm up, your ball speed increases and ball hooks less. You may "think" its carry down, but it may not be. YOu may be getting a taste of both, more ball speed and carry down. But it doesn't matter, because you still have to read your ball. If you start coming in light, move to the outside a board or so. Start remembering that when you leave the bucket, what move do you have to make to get as close to the strike pocket as possible. If you can't remember then keep a small notebook and write it down.

By switching from lining up with the middle of your foot to the inside edge you are now making about a 2 board move. Two boards! That's the difference between being in the pocket and not being in the pocket. Because 2 boards at the foul line is about 6 boards at the pins. When was your last lesson with your coaches?

Erin

#28402 - 10/09/05 04:29 PM Re: getting quality lessons
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

Erin
My last lesson was about a month ago. but I have
good news I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance, I didn't go with the gecco ha ha. Seriously I bowled my pants off today sunday. I took the advice from R casey and from you put them
together and wala a perfect match. I normally line
up my shot and the second set of dots behind the
foul line. This day I tried moving up a foot and
a half. First game 189 second 179 and third 202.
Average190. I started with half step and took four
more and boy i put together two triples in the
first game and picked up all the ten pins. R casey
gave me advice as to use bd 36 or 37 for the ten
and it worked i did not use the spare ball once.
that's it for now until next time. bowling joel

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 04:35 PM
End of Days
by explorer05 - Yesterday at 12:19 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.