BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#27953 - 04/27/05 10:06 AM More USBC Proposed Changes
megamav Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/Scotia, NY
This is a recent letter sent to all ball manufacturers, regarding changes to be made regarding ball specifications and requirements.

Please let the USBC hear your voice, whether in favor or not, by sending your comments to [email protected]

Letter to all ball manufacturers and Industry Partners...

The USBC believes that the proposed specification changes are appropriate because both the equipment and the bowlers have changed considerably over the years since the specifications were first implemented. The proposed new specifications reflect changes in the game.

1. Three (3) Proposed specifications;
a. All balls will be required to be manufactured with the USBC logo and year made as of 1/1/06. The USBC ball logo must be a minimum of two (2) inches in diameter and be engraved in the same manner as any other logo on the ball. The USBC ball logo will not be the same USBC logo currently used on the ball boxes. We suggest the USBC ball logo be placed on the bottom of the ball. The USBC ball logo will be e-mailed to all ball manufacturers as soon as it is available.

b. All balance holes will be eliminated in all balls manufacturered/drilled after 1/1/06. Elimination of balance holes will reduce the ability to manipulate the dynamics of the bowling ball. Bowling ball's with balance holes prior to 1/1/06 will be grandfathered and will be able to be used in certified competition up until 1/1/08.

c. All balls drilled after 1/1/06 will require the center of gravity (CG) mark to be within 1 inch of the center of grip. In conjunction with the proposed change of the balance hole specification this new specification would allow league and tournament officials to verify (as a rule of thumb) a ball is within the current specifications for static weights. Bowling ball manufacturers will need to be proficient with the marking of the CG so pro shops can properly drill balls within this proposed specification. Bowling balls manufacturered prior to 1/1/06 will be grandfathered and will be able to be used in certified competition. up until 1/1/08.

2. New Mohs' Hardness specification. Mohs' hardness is a material hardness scale that differs from the current durometer "D" hardness scale. It was developed by Fredrich Mohs' in 1812. Hardness of a material is determined by observing whether its surface is scratched by a substance of known or defined hardness. The Mohs' hardness of any material added to or included in the coverstock of a bowling ball shall not exceed 6.0 on the Mohs' hardness scales tested in accordance with the USBC approved test procedure. A standard glass sample with a Mohs' hardness of 6.0 will be used to determine if the materials in the cover stock of a bowling ball will scratch the standard glass sample. Any ball with cover stock material that is harder than 6.0 will scratch the sample and that ball will not be approved. The standard glass sample will be manufacturered by an independent contractor specifically for use in this test. The test method is very simple and can be reproduced at the ball manufacturers lab. This will be implemented by 8/1/05. The current durometer "D" specification will remain in effect.

3. Feedback on recent specification changes (RG Diff and COR). USBC will re-affirm why the changes were made and gather information on whether future changes will be needed in these areas.

We will have an open comment period on the proposed changes from 6/1/05 to 6 /30/05 in addition to the industry forum. Any comments may be forwarded to: USBC Equipment Specifications Department; 5301 South 76th Street; Greendale, WI 53129; Fax (414) 421-5860; E-mail [email protected]

A final decision regarding all proposed specifications changes will be issued by 7/29/05

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#27954 - 04/27/05 01:27 PM Re: More USBC Proposed Changes
Angel Offline

A/S/L: F/So Cal
I will most definitely be adding my comments. To make all balls with a balance hole obsolete in just 2 1/2 years is beyond me. While not all my stuff is that old, I don't want to be told that everything I have that has an extra hole will be ready for the trash heap.

In addition, I'm not interested in a 2 in ENGRAVED logo on my equipment. Either USBC would be paying for this privelege to advertise--which means we pay because it's our sanction money that supports them, or the bowling manufacturers would have to eat the cost and pass it along to us--so we pay either way. No thanks.

#27955 - 04/27/05 02:24 PM Re: More USBC Proposed Changes
Mary Allen Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34 female Columbus, Ohio
What the heck is wrong with this USBC. Don't they realize that the bowling game is complicated enough. It seems to me that as soon as we adapt to some of the complications of this great sport there's some stupid idiot sitting and looking at the bowling game through a microscope and ( has nothing else to do) decides to change things. Don't they realize that there have been some bowlers who have left the game of bowling because of stupid "Bowling Politics"? And then they wonder why the number of participants are dropping. They have no right to propose any thing that's going to complicate this game even more. I will in no way advertise that USBA logo unless they can do something for me and that's to be my permanent sponsor when I'm ready for the PBA Tour.

#27956 - 04/27/05 02:50 PM Re: More USBC Proposed Changes
Angel Offline

Well, since membership dues pay for the entire budget, it comes down to the fact that you'd be sponsoring yourself (as well as every other member sponsoring you, too). smile

#27957 - 04/27/05 03:25 PM Re: More USBC Proposed Changes
Angel Offline

Official Press release follows:

USBC EQUIPMENT SPECIFICATIONS DEPARTMENT TO HOLD FORUM ON PROPOSED EQUIPMENT CHANGES
Open discussion meant to solicit objective comments about the sport

GREENDALE, Wis. - An open discussion forum concerning equipment specification modifications under consideration will be held by the United States Bowling Congress on June 28 from 3:30 - 6:30 p.m. at the Wyndham Orlando Resort in Orlando, Fla. The USBC Equipment Specifications Committee has requested the forum in hope of gathering input from all interested parties regarding several topics, including three proposed specification changes.

USBC is inviting two representatives from each ball manufacturer to participate. The industry forum will also include two IBPSIA board members and two BPAA Board representatives, to be appointed by their respective organizations.

"USBC recognizes that manufacturers and other interested industry parties should have the opportunity to present facts and information, and provide comment and recommendations regarding proposed specification changes," said USBC Director of Sport Jeff Henry. "We value the industry's opinions. This forum will provide the means for manufacturers and others to address issues affecting the credibility and integrity of the sport."

The proposals under review, but for which no decision has been made, are as follows:

1. Eliminating all balance holes in all balls manufactured/drilled after January 1, 2006.
Elimination of balance holes in order to reduce the ability to manipulate the dynamics of the bowling ball. Bowling balls manufactured with balance holes prior to January 1, 2006 will be grandfathered in and will be able to be used in certified competition up until January 1, 2008.

2. Requiring all balls drilled after January 1, 2006 to have the center of gravity (CG) mark to be within one inch of the center of grip.
In conjunction with the proposed change of the balance hole specification, this new specification would allow league and tournament officials to verify a ball is within the current specifications for static weights. Bowling balls manufactured prior to January 1, 2006 will be grandfathered in and will be able to be used in certified competition up until January 1, 2008.

3. Requiring all balls to be manufactured with the USBC logo and year made as of January 1, 2006.

In addition, USBC is establishing a new Mohs' hardness specification for particles in the cover stock of a bowling ball. This scale was developed by Fredrich Mohs in 1812. This new manufacturing specification will become effective August 1, 2005. The current durometer "D" specification will remain in effect.

While the forum will focus on the three proposed equipment specification changes set forth above, USBC also will seek feedback on recent specification changes (RG Diff and COR). USBC will explain why these changes were made and seek information on whether future changes are desirable.

"As you can tell due to some other recent changes, we have been reviewing various aspects of the game and implementing specification changes," said USBC Director of Research Neil Stremmel. "However, we also feel that all interested parties need to have a voice in this. We want to make sure we have everyone's point of view before we move forward with any changes. The proposed specifications are under consideration due to considerable changes over the last several years."

In addition to the industry forum, USBC is also conducting an open comment period on the proposed changes. USBC would like to receive comments from any and all interested parties and in accordance with this goal an open comment period will be offered from June 1 through June 25. Any objective comments may be forwarded to: USBC Equipment Specifications Department; 5301 South 76th Street; Greendale, WI 53129; Fax (414) 421-5860; E-mail [email protected]

A final decision regarding all proposed specification changes will be issued by July 29.

USBC Equipment Specifications Department
The USBC Specifications and Certification testing facility, opened in 1977, is an eight-lane center in a climate-controlled building where team members regulate and standardize bowling equipment by concentrating on pin and product testing, research work, bowling center certifications and lane dressing inspections. The staff provides lane-conditioning support for a variety of tournaments and Sport Bowling events. The Specifications and Certification team consists of engineers, technicians and support staff.

Since the mid-1980s, Specifications and Certification also has approved products for international competition such as the World Tenpin Bowling Association and the Federation Internationale des Quilleurs.

United States Bowling Congress
The United States Bowling Congress, as the national governing body, ensures the integrity and protects the future of the sport, provides programs and services and enhances the bowling experience.

USBC officially launched Jan. 1, 2005, as an organization serving more than three million adult and youth bowlers in the United States. It resulted from the merger of the American Bowling Congress, Women's International Bowling Congress, Young American Bowling Alliance and USA Bowling.

Bowl with US!

#27958 - 04/27/05 03:47 PM Re: More USBC Proposed Changes
Mary Allen Offline
Bracket Donor

I sponsor myself as it is with tournament and travel expenses, but to redo my 5 ball aresenal there again the politics are again [censored] up the enjoyment of bowling again. When donkeys fly will I ever have do replace my whole arsenal, because you have some idiots in Headquarters (whereever that is) playing politics with everything in bowling. I have enough to contend with as far as expenses are concerned I don't need anymore. If the rules state that my 5 ball aresenal don't meet the specs, then these people whoever would change these rules for a bowling ball better buy me 5 new balls that do meet the specs. All in a nutshell these rule makers better get a life and stop toying with the game of bowling and leave the stupid politics out of the game. Politics do not belong in this game of bowling. If they expect the number of participants of this great game to go up and not down then they should follow my advice. Enough said!

#27959 - 04/28/05 06:32 PM Re: More USBC Proposed Changes
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
So....USBC wants to be a [censored] corps for bowling balls.

What'll be next? Are they going to tell me I have to use my thumb? I can't use two hands to throw the ball. I have to be a 3/4 roller, no spinners, no full rollers? I have to play the lanes in a particular area?

Maybe they should limit the weight bowling balls should be. After all, a 16lb ball thrown 19 mph impacts the pins much differently then a 14lb ball thrown 19 mph (with the same revolutions). So, maybe we should limit the weight of bowling balls to 14lbs. Tell people they cannot throw it faster then 12mph or else receive zero for the frame. I'm sure the sport would be much more difficult if you were not allowed to throw a 14lb ball faster then 12 mph.

Maybe they should ban all synthetic lanes. Wood lanes are usually tougher to score on for most people, that would make the sport more challenging if you HAD to play on wood lanes only.

They tried changing the pins, to the heavier gold PBA pins. That didn't fly for very long.

::sigh:: The problem with technology, is that you cannot go back. Technology grows and impacts all aspects of our lives, including bowling. All you can do is guide technology, you cannot make it go backwards. Let's hope that the manufacters are as unimpressed with this idea as the bowlers seem to be.

Erin

#27960 - 04/28/05 08:50 PM Re: More USBC Proposed Changes
Mary Allen Offline
Bracket Donor

I often wonder if this USBC are all made of the whinners that often say "why are you carring 5 balls you only need one". And I bet you also they are your lower average bowlers who want to push the up and coming bowlers like myself who are continuously improving down, because they are too lazy to work on their game to improve. I wouldn't be surprised. Nothing surprises me anymore. When it's time to voice the opinions of these retarded proposals in June I know that these people will get an earfull and then some. And I hope that these people of USBC will get put in their place also. livid livid livid

#27961 - 04/28/05 09:21 PM Re: More USBC Proposed Changes
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I don't think its a matter of pushing any one or type of bowler down. I think its a bunch of old foggies trying to bring back "yester year" to the sport of bowling. These types of people say they want to bring back the integrity and respectibility to bowling. Yet, I don't see these same people limiting the technology that goes into today's oiling machines. Let's go back to hand sprayed lanes, that would be more difficult to score on.

I don't see them limiting the types of oil/lane conditioner that companies come out with.

I don't see them monitering the sanctioned houses so that the shots are not as easy as they perceive them to be. Maybe the only 300 or honor scores to be awarded should be within Sport Condition requirements. DO away with all other honor scores if they are NOT performed on Sport Conditions. I don't see them raising the bar for lane certification and inspection. Right now, there's just too much ley way given for houses to fix and keep up lanes.

What about Twister Pins? They're sure easier to score with then others. To my knowledge USBC doesn't even care about the condition of the pins other then basic specs. Do they stop a house from rounding the bottoms off new pins?

Yet they attack just one aspect of the bowling industry; the balls. The most personal part of the whole sport. The ball that fits your hand and works with your personal style within the sport. Heck, they may do away with grips. Afterall, they give you added power and revs not inherent in the ball. They may do away with different surfaces. No more pearl balls to help the crankers get the ball down the lane, no more particles to help the strokers hook into the pocket.

If the ball manufacterers let USBC get this one foot in the door, there's no telling how far into the house they'll come.

Erin

#27962 - 04/29/05 03:25 AM Re: More USBC Proposed Changes
Mary Allen Offline
Bracket Donor

I think that if USBC really wants to bring back the integrity and respectablity into bowling they are way in over their heads and they're also going about it the wrong way. They have to adapt to the way the technology is in this game. Erin it's like you said and I wholeheartedly agree with you and that's you can't turn technology back. It seems like to me that they that they don't have the sense to work with the technology that's out there and work within it and not against it. I've spoken to my balldriller and some of my fellow league bowlers about these proposals and they also felt that they were in over their heads and feels like politics is getting in the way. And that the ball manufactures will tell USBC to go to you know what and how to get there. According to my balldriller he thinks these proposals will not fly and that there's people and other organizations that have a higher power than the USBC and they will have the final say about these proposals and have the power to override the USBC. I guess we have to wait and see what happens next snd only time will tell.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/16/18 09:27 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
End of Days
by Dennis Michael - 07/15/18 07:34 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.