BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#27270 - 02/23/05 12:02 AM Re: Too far back from foul line - help!
SnitGTS Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/m/NJ
Coach, Erin,
I usually end up about two feet from the foul line, I'm not totally sure if the ball drops before the foul line or not but it's never set the foul light off. I don't loft my ball, but I don't place it down either. I've tried to get closer, but I end up taking shorter steps and it throws off my timing. You guys seem to have different opinions here, should I keep working on getting at least a little closer or should I just keep bowling where I am?
Thanks!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#27271 - 02/23/05 01:21 AM Re: Too far back from foul line - help!
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Sometimes the ball delivered before the foul line will trigger a foul. But a toe or pant leg, is over the foul line longer so the tendancy for it to register a foul is greater. Dust floating down can cause a foul. But the ball, goes over so fast that sometimes it doesnt' register. Or, as in many incidents, the house foul lights are not even turned on. Which is a violation of ABC rules, but happens too many times.

Erin

#27272 - 02/25/05 12:26 AM Re: Too far back from foul line - help!
BigBowlla Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 44/Male/Kansas
Up until last week, I was about 2 feet from the foul line as well as my wife. I stand left foot on 25 hitting about 13 or 14. I stood behind the front markers (dots), but to elimante my ending up so far back from the foul line, my coach moved me above the markers. I find that now I don't hop on release, I hit my mark more often, and I come about a couple inches from the foul line. Not saying this is the solution, but try moving up a bit, a few inches to start and check your slide foot after to see where it is and adjust accordingly. Hope this helps, it helped me.

#27273 - 02/25/05 12:40 AM Re: Too far back from foul line - help!
Debbie Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 49/F/California
Interesting responses to my concern about being too far back from the foul line -- which have made me re-think things. I don't drop the ball behind the foul line and have never fouled with the ball (or my foot for that matter!), so that's not a concern. So, why should I attempt to change something about my bowling style that I've lived with since I was a youngster. Perhaps if I ended up closer to the foul line, my average would improve; however, at this point, if I tried to change my game (timing/steps/ball weight/etc.) just to be closer to the foul line, my average might decline. Plus, it wouldn't feel natural. Many bowlers have quirks in style, etc., but are just as effective as bowlers with perfect form. So, I think I'll just live with my less than perfect approach.

#27274 - 02/25/05 01:23 AM Re: Too far back from foul line - help!
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

If you are stopping a foot behind the foul line and clearing the foul line with the ball, then you have to be lofting the ball quite a bit. This can be good if the heads of the lane bed are old and dried up. However, on today's new synthetic lanes, dry heads are not that much of a problem anymore. If that's the case in your house (new synthetic lanes with plenty of head oil), then lofting the ball actually cuts down the amount of hook. Hook isn't always what its cracked up to be, but it can gain you pocket entry angle, which most people can use. So if you feel like your ball is not hooking as well as you think, it may be due to too much loft. Getting a release closer to the foul line, with less loft (more like an airplane landing) you'll get more reaction from the ball.

This is all purely hypothetical since we can't see you bowl. But if the above gives you more information then all the better.

Erin

#27275 - 02/25/05 01:36 AM Re: Too far back from foul line - help!
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

Another correlation I can make is with golf. Women tee off from the front tees. Men tee off from the back tees. Giving the women a slight advantage (due to their lack of body strength) because the distance from the tee to the hole is shorter. The par is the same. Same with darts. Why would you want to give up that advantage, by stopping a foot before the foul line? Because it is easier to hit a target that is closer to you. Other people, men and women, are stopping closer to the foul line, making their targets closer and the lane shorter. You don't have to change your game. It won't change your game, it will only be a slight adjustment. There is just no bonus in making a shot further away in bowling like there is in basket ball. And once you try it and get used to it, you may find your average climbing not decreasing. Your subconscience is making you afraid to foul. Its not your physical game, its your mental mind. If you try it, and it helps you, then this stopping before the foul line is actually keeping you down. You could always try the opposite. Start and finish even further back and see if your average rises or drops.

Erin

#27276 - 02/25/05 09:54 PM Re: Too far back from foul line - help!
Debbie Offline
Bumper Bowler

You'd think that being a foot back from the foul line that I would have to loft the ball, but I really don't (or if I do on occassion, it's not enough loft to affect my hook much). Maybe it's because I'm tall and have long arms?!?!? In any case, I am happy with the amount of hook I have (full roller, fingertip) and the revolutions on my ball, so I don't think that lofting is an issue. You do make some good points though! Thanks.

#27277 - 02/26/05 10:13 AM Re: Too far back from foul line - help!
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

Debbie,

Keep it tucked in the back of your mind. The day may come when something pops up that will give you more incentive to change.

Erin

#27278 - 02/26/05 08:43 PM Re: Too far back from foul line - help!
Debbie Offline
Bumper Bowler

Good points Erin and I do agree that it is obviously more advantageous to be closer to the foul line, hence closer to my target. I do have the incentive to change and have tried a number of things (moving up a foot further than I usually do when I begin my approach, different shoes, different ball grips and weights, trying to take longer steps) but I still end up a foot away and sometimes more! I disagree that I wouldn't have to change my game -- what I am doing now isn't working, so I would have to change something about my style/game to end up closer to the foul line. I've been doing this since I was nine years old and now, in my late 40s, I don't fear the foul line but my subconscious mind does, and won't allow my physical body to get close to it. I like your suggestion about keeping it tucked in the back of my mind -- I really don't think about it much at all during league, but it's still there in my subconscious. Again, I really have the incentive to change this fault but sometimes when I try too hard, I end up even further away from the foul line and my timing is off. I know that correcting this problem would bring my average up (currently 175), but maybe I should just not dwell on it so much. I'd like to find a quick fix for this but what I've tried physically or equipment-wise hasn't worked so far, so I think the solution may have to be a mental one (overcoming or somehow blocking that deep-seeded subconscious fear of fouling that grew out of my childhood bowling days). Thanks for the helpful input.

#27279 - 02/27/05 02:05 AM Re: Too far back from foul line - help!
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

You mention that you have tried to make physical and equipment changes to improve your game and its not worked. Have you taken one on one private lessons? I'm not talking a lesson and then bye. But weekly or every two week lessons for a few months. There is only so far you can get being self taught. Summer is an excellent time to do this. The league play is down and not as competative. Averages do not count. And then you could be rearing to go next fall.

Erin

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.