BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#27163 - 01/28/05 09:29 PM Re: Gearing up
First Strike Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 57/Male/North Carolina
Thanks again, Darrell and Erin.
My son and I have been wondering about the question of ball weight, as well as ball type. He's using a 12-lb. house ball and struggling to maintain his alignment during the delivery. I know that a properly fitted ball will feel entirely different to him, and that his mechanics will improve as he gets more experience (and maybe more-professional instruction than I've been able to provide), but we've been thinking 14- rather than 15-lbs. as his next step.

Do you think that makes sense, or are we underestimating the difference a personalized ball will make? (And is this another time when used or demo equipment--Hammer is holding a demo day about 2 hours away from us on Feb. 6--might be a good idea?)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#27164 - 01/28/05 09:39 PM Re: Gearing up
Squirrel Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 42/male/London, Ontario
As far as difference in weight, I was using a 15lb house ball until I popped my finger early November and was forced to go to a 13. I used a 13lb house ball for the next 5 weeks and my finger was in pain every Monday night. Dec 4 I bought my own ball and got a 15lb ball and it felt lighter than the 13lb house ball and didn't bother my finger near as much, so I'd say you could add 3 to 4 lbs for a fitted ball to feel the same.

If he's comfortable with the 12lb, I'd say go 15, but if he feels the 12 is too heavy, it might be better to go 14.

Also, if 12 gives him trouble, maybe he's not handling it properly. If that's a possibility, I'd suggest going 15 with a couple lessons.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Today at 09:25 PM
Made it.
by RGR - Today at 07:56 AM
Ball choice and strategy for Wolf pattern
by champ - Yesterday at 10:15 PM
My Senior League wants to change Houses
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 05:21 AM
tennis elbow
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 03:58 AM
12 pound ball?
by W9JAB - 02/15/18 02:52 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 02/11/18 07:19 AM
Brunswick "The Grizz" Vintage Urethane ball
by nord - 02/11/18 04:20 AM
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
by nord - 02/10/18 03:24 PM
Honor Scores Not Received By USBC
by Mkirchie - 02/10/18 10:54 AM
Competing against high rev, high speed players
by BowlerBill - 02/07/18 09:36 PM
Old bowling ball on synthetic lanes - good or bad?
by Dennis Michael - 02/04/18 03:52 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.