BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#27044 - 01/11/05 11:01 PM Xception extra hole
Gaucho Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 34/M/NYC
Hi,
I just got a good deal from the Pro Shop for a Track 15# xception. I paid $150 with it drilled.
I have a question, he was explaining but i didnt quite understand him, my ball has an extra hole in it. What purpose is this for?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#27045 - 01/11/05 11:37 PM Re: Xception extra hole
Squirrel Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 42/male/London, Ontario
Probably for balance.

#27046 - 01/12/05 02:41 AM Re: Xception extra hole
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
If you think of your ball as a cube, there are areas where the quadrent of weight has to meet certain requirements. These specs are determined by ABC and soon to be USBC. When you drill a ball, you take weight out.....right? So if the given weights of the ball prior to drilling require you to drill another hole(after drilling) to remove weight in order to make the ball legal then that's what you do. Pro shops have an obligation to make sure that they drill equipment that full fills ABC's specs.

Now all that said and done.. ,... where that hole is, and what it can do to the dynamics of the ball is another story. Primarily it is there to bring the ball back to legal stats. But its placement, depth and amount of material removed, can also change the dynamics of the ball, in very specific drills.

Erin

#27047 - 01/12/05 02:03 PM Re: Xception extra hole
goatster Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: Oxbow, Jefferson (County)
i have 1 ball amf angle evolution tour. first big hook ball i bought. that has a hole in it i was told that to set it up for heavy oil and max hook potential the drill guide that comes with the ball said to drill it that way to take top weight off so it would be leagal.although none of my other balls has that.the ball worked good so i didnt pay much attention to it.i have seen other balls with the extra hole.

#27048 - 01/12/05 07:46 PM Re: Xception extra hole
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
ABC has strict guidelines for top weight, bottom weight, and side weight. Balls are manufactured with extra weight to compensate for the amount of material removed when drilled. This often time leaves the ball out of spec, which is called a dodo.

The ball is placed on a dodo scale and measured to find out where these weights reside and determine if an additional hole needs to be drilled to make the ball legal.

In addition to making the ball fall within ABC specs, this counterbalance hole can be used to alter the balls reaction. The size and depth are important to ball reaction. Even the core can be clipped to alter the reaction, by drilling deeply into the lower portion of the ball, or drilling at a specific angle to clip the core.

You can learn more about the X-hole on the Brunswick website, in their drilling specs. They have put a lot of effort into testing to see what different x-hole placements and depths will do. Also Denny Torgerson has a lot of information on clipping cores with the x-hole.

#27049 - 01/15/05 07:09 PM Re: Xception extra hole
deuce2point0 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/M/Dallas Tx
What is the difference between a weight hole on the side vs. drilling a finger hole deeper I have a turbo diesel and a power diesel both were bought used each with about 2 games and out side of a new slug span and pitches were the same but when I had the slugs put in and the grips changed I never asked what the difference was the power diesel's ring finger is drilled deeper and the turbo has a weight hole. My question to yall (sorry to our bowling brethren to the north) you guys is why?

#27050 - 01/18/05 02:09 AM Re: Xception extra hole
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
A hole drilled into a sphere, is a hole drilled into a sphere. As far as the holes are concerned there is no difference.

What makes the difference is the weight block, its configuration, and its orientation to the gripping layout.

A balance hole can be placed, with relationship to the equator of the ball, or its horizontal axis. Finger holes are a narrow tangent off of the vertical axis. When the ball is in its dynamic of flight, this placement will have differing effects depending location to the cores preferred spin axis, and the difference between it, and your Positive Axis Point.

The finger holes are on the opposite side of the vertical axis from your PAP. The counter weight hole or X-hole is on the same side as your PAP, and generally within a 2 or 3 inch distance. These two dynamics are vastly different, depending on the core, the layout, and the desired effect.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - 7 minutes 57 seconds ago
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.