BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#26597 - 11/08/04 07:54 AM Newer Equipment
802dave Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 52/male/Fort Worth, TX
Could y'all educate me a little on the newer balls; what advantages do they have on last decade's balls?

I bowled last night in league; my first series in 6 years; a 583. I was consistently around the pocket; missed some easy spares...

I'm using a Hammer; hot pink; from the mid-90's.

I don't know anything about the newer balls; I don't know that I need to try a new ball yet, just getting my feet yet again.

The condition looks like a 10-10; it's an early league, a fair amount of oil.

I'm still regaining strength in my bowling muscles, so I'm not getting a lot of rev's on the ball. I'm trying to keep my hand behind the ball, but am using the white, textured 1" tape in the front of the hole and the ball seems to be sticking a little on my thumb...

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#26598 - 11/08/04 10:36 AM Re: Newer Equipment
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Well, as bowling balls get used, the cores can seperate from the inner shell. This makes the ball "unsolid" and it won't hit as well, IMO. Other then that, the old equipment still works, but you may find that the amount of oil now used on the lanes may just be too much for older less reactive balls. They'll skid more, especially on the harder surfaced synthetic lanes.

Since you are a returning bowler (YEAH!!!), if you do find yourself looking for a new ball, I would not suggest the bottom level reactives. They are just not dynamic enough for most experienced bowlers, unless used for a specific lane condition. Move up to the mid-range area (at least), and I think you'll be happy.

Welcome back to the sport.

Erin

#26599 - 11/08/04 03:23 PM Re: Newer Equipment
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
Hi Dave, welcome back to bowling..

There is literally a plethora of new balls, coverstocks, weightblocks etc. etc. etc. It can drive you mad trying to keep up with all the changes in balls.

I think the biggest difference now, is that balls are more condition specific, than they used to be. With the lane surfaces available today, along with the different lubricity of conditioners, and the different ways centers clean and apply, it takes a lot of trial and error.

Of course there is still the issue of matching up a balls reaction to the style of the bowler, and the method used in drilling. So you can see with so many variables it can get crazy at times finding the right combination.

I think you have the right idea about getting yourself back in shape first. Give it a couple of months to find what settles in physically, and do some ball research during that time. Then take a serious look at your equipment.

#26600 - 11/09/04 12:45 PM Re: Newer Equipment
802dave Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 52/male/Fort Worth, TX
Thanks for the great replies Erin & Coach!

It seems that it'll take a while to learn about the new balls! I will definitely take my time before jumping into buying new equipment; and it does help that the old Hammer seemed to work fine last Sunday.

It's good to be back bowling; the 2 times that I started stringing a few strikes stirred the blood up! I can't wait till I have the 1st nine and experience that rush again!

Dave

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Anthony Simonsen Gene Carter's Pro Shop Classic
by 82Boat69 - Today at 02:33 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 08/19/18 11:45 AM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - 08/19/18 10:29 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - 08/19/18 08:41 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.