BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#26244 - 07/20/04 09:11 AM T.S.P. ??? Is there a chemist in the house??
Bojangles Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: M/SC
I was wondering about using T.S.P. (tri-sodium-phosphate) as a soak or maybe just to clean a ball. Has anyone had experience in using this on bowling balls? I've used it to clean golf balls before with no adverse effect on preformance, rotfl I don't know what effect it may have on the cover or core !?!

Any ideas ??

Bo.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#26245 - 07/26/04 11:55 PM Re: T.S.P. ??? Is there a chemist in the house??
Bojangles Offline
League Bowler

Hello.........?

#26246 - 07/27/04 02:52 AM Re: T.S.P. ??? Is there a chemist in the house??
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
Well I wasn't going to touch this post, but I guess I better put in my 2 cents... Just random thought.

Na3PO4, Tri Sodium Phosphate, also known as Phosphoric Acid. The base used in Naval Jelly to strip paint and rust from steel. The base acid for most soft drinks. The acid bath used to strip bluing off of gun barrels, clean metals for plating etc.

What is your dilution ratio for using this?

This acid is powerful enough to disolve your bowling ball if not properly diluted.

Why would you want to try this when there are literally hundreds of tested acceptable cleaners available?

Acid is not known particularly, for its degreasing ability.

Some substances that can etch the surface of the ball, are banned by ABC. It could render the ball illegal for sactioned play.

Maybe in a 2% to 5% solution it could be safe to clean with (I'm guessing), but I don't think it could measure up to denatured alcahol, rubbing alcohol, or accetone as a degreaser.

The best thing for leaching oil out of a ball surface is a slow even temprature rise. Kind of like when you leave the ball in the car on a sunny day. My hotwater heater produces water at 150 degrees, so if I want to leach out lane oil, I place the ball in the kitchen sink and soak it for about 20 min in hot water.

Then I wash it with Dawn detergent, and repeat the soaking with fresh hot water. Its a little rough on the hands but it works well.

I hear a lot of people are throwing them into the diswasher now with success. Place it on the bottom rack, add the Cascade with Dawn packet, and run it through. You have to be sure the drying cycle is turned off because it could damage the ball.

Anyway that is my random thoughts.... I wouldn't try acid washing my balls....

#26247 - 07/27/04 06:04 AM Re: T.S.P. ??? Is there a chemist in the house??
Bojangles Offline
League Bowler

Thanks Coach, I knew I could count on you...
Like I say I was basing the use of T.S.P on cleaning golf balls, [censored] balls mostly. We'd find them along and along, and used this to clean them with. I used about a tablespoon to five gallons of water. It cleaned them up good. Made them look almost new. They (the golf balls) seem to have a tackiness about them after they dried out for a while. I was just looking to see if anyone else had thought of using this stuff and what kind of success they had if any. You know just thinking out of the box, so to speak.
I for one, am glad to have your $.02, after all, we're writing advice and opinion here not law right??
At any rate, thanks for the reply....

Bo.

#26248 - 07/27/04 08:19 AM Re: T.S.P. ??? Is there a chemist in the house??
flacoman Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 41/M/Ft lauderdale FL
I actually made a heated ball bath for cleaning , works well. If you want details , I'll post them

HTH
Jorge

#26249 - 07/27/04 01:33 PM Re: T.S.P. ??? Is there a chemist in the house??
Comet Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: male/Canada
So are you guys saying that the reactive balls can actually be cleaned by hot water as well?

I always thought that i can only clean reactive balls with those special cleaning fluid that i get from the Pro Shop. So up until now, my ball still hasn't touched even a drop of water at all (not including sweat i guess *_0)

So why use those cleaning fluid when i can clean the ball with hot water? Thank you in advance for any clarification guys!

#26250 - 07/28/04 01:35 AM Re: T.S.P. ??? Is there a chemist in the house??
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
Hot water to open the pours of the ball, and a surfactant, or detergent, to disperse the oil so it wont be re-absorbed.

Using hot water is a time consuming chore, where the spray on cleaners are quick. Sprays can be used quickly before you bowl, the other you do at home, and need full drying time after, before you use the ball again.

On the other hand, the spray on cleaners clean up surface contaminates, where the hot water treatment leaches out deeply absorbed oil.

It is really two different methods, for two different scenarios.

#26251 - 09/20/05 05:58 PM Re: T.S.P. ??? Is there a chemist in the house??
VBPbowler Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 20, M , independence, MO
i was reading this old post because i need a method to clean my bowling balls with effectively, what i usually do is on a hot day ill leave my balls out in my car trunk and after like an hour i will go and clean the oil off and repeat that process about 4 times, but i read this and thought that the detergent would clean as it comes out instead of having to go outside multiple times. but my only concern is the water, wont the water absorb into the bowling ball, or the detergent damage the surface?

#26252 - 09/21/05 10:34 AM Re: T.S.P. ??? Is there a chemist in the house??
Chief Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 50/Male/Michigan
There is documentation that the oil substance oozing from a heated bowling ball is not oil at all but a component of the resin. The manufactures of the bowling ball tell you that the best method to clean the ball is with the recommended cleaners. Now before anyone says that this is a conspiracy to get you to purchase more bowling balls, think about the logic of that statement. If I buy a product that rapidly loses its hooking ability I will tend to switch to another ball company. The best method to clean your equipment is with the recommended cleaner for your product. Clean the ball after each use and it will retain its effectiveness longer. Any of these exotic methods like the dishwasher and oven or heating the ball are not a good idea. Companies recommend certain ways to care for equipment because they want to establish consumer loyalty. Listen to them, they are experts on their own products. I have a Storm triple x factor with close to 400 games and it still works very well.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.