BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#25719 - 01/28/04 11:13 AM Thumb
Jeff Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Dunkirk
I have bowling for about 15 years ands my thumb has always problems during certain times of the year. When it is cold my thumb does not fit my thumbhole very well until the 6th or 7th frame of the first game. After that it is fine. But, when it is warm my thumb swells up too much and the ball sticks. Any suggestions on how to minimize the welling or shrinking if the thumb.
Thanks

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#25721 - 01/28/04 12:14 PM Re: Thumb
Jeff Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Dunkirk
No, I keep the ball in the house. In the closet which is about 65 degrees, I also get to the bowling alley 30 minutes early and get the balls out. I also spend 5-10 minutes warming up before we start our games.

#25722 - 01/28/04 02:19 PM Re: Thumb
DTB300 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Ageless/M/MD
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by Jeff:
I have bowling for about 15 years ands my thumb has always problems during certain times of the year. When it is cold my thumb does not fit my thumbhole very well until the 6th or 7th frame of the first game. After that it is fine. But, when it is warm my thumb swells up too much and the ball sticks. Any suggestions on how to minimize the welling or shrinking if the thumb.
Thanks
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Dunkirk - is that Dunkirk, NY?

Anyways...Thumbs swelling and shrinking is a normal part of our physiology.

What you need to do is learn how to use tape in your Thumb Hole. This is a topic I teach in the Seminars I coach in and also with my private students.

Thumb small? Put tape in.

Thumb big? Take tape out.

You should have enough tape in your ball to handle your diffrering thumb sizes. FYI, My thumb will change around 2-3 pieces of white tape from the start of the game. I may even add or remove some more black tape during the league.

Read the topic here on Large Thumb Hole that I commented on and gave a little insight into using tape.

Later...Dan

Formula for Improving your Bowling....
Professional Bowlers Service, Inc. + Briggs Consulting = Bowler Educational Seminars -> Results - Improved Bowlers Gaithersburg, MD - Home of Bowler Educational Seminars - Ask me about attending one!!!

#25723 - 01/28/04 03:00 PM Re: Thumb
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
ah, taping a thumb hole. Its a science. But necessary for those that really need the correct feel in their thumb hole all the time. No matter the weather, the humidity, how much salt you ate or beer you drank, your thumb will change size. Watch the pros on TV, sometimes you catch them messing around with tape, but they all do it, just the camera doesn't always catch it. You can't bowl all day long and not have your thumb change.

All my equipment has the thumb insert drilled slightly large so I always have to use tape. That way the texture of the tape is a constant. How many pieces of tape varies as Dan mentions. I hate black tape, since it seems to break down and make a gluey mess, but white tape in the front of the thumb hole is something that can help you keep a consistent feel. If you get into the habit of using tape, make sure you keep on hand something that can clean tape residue out of your thumb hole. You'll be done for the day if you pull tape that got too warm and gluey, and you don't have anything to clean it up with.

Erin

#25724 - 01/30/04 10:32 AM Re: Thumb
bimmerman Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 55/M/Maryland
Talk to you driller about using an oval thumb hole. I used to have similar problems, but since changing to an oval thumbhole a couple fo years ago, no more thumb problems. I still us a little tape, but any thumb changes are now weather related instead of being affected by the thumbhole. I'm to the point where I may use one piece of white tape in the front, and rarely ever have to add any more than that. I attribute that to the oval thumbhole.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 10/18/18 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.