BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#25503 - 11/07/03 02:43 PM What is my ball?
Grim Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 24/M/Newcastle Australia
I was hoping someone could give me some information on exactly what my ball is. My mother found it for me at a garage sale and up until I received it I was using a polyster ball that a friend had given me.

It has an AMF logo on it as well as "THE ANGLE". One of the more senior bowlers at my centre has told me it was a ball from the early 80's that wasn't very popular because it hooked too much. Poly-urethane surface (he thinks) but apart from that he can't tell me anything about it.

Anyone in the know enough to give me some insight as to what I bowl down the lanes every Thursday?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#25504 - 11/07/03 09:24 PM Re: What is my ball?
Bowlerski Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 40+/Male/Fremont, Michigan
Hey Grim!

Just to let you know, the ball you have is the angle, as you probably already guessed. There were three of them released at about the same time. The three of them were the black, grey, and gold/yellow. The reactions were the black: midrange hook, the gold/yellow hooked the most, and the grey went straightest of the three. They were all urethane and the hook difference was made by the hardness of the surface, unlike the ones today all about the same hardness. Hope this helps.

Tom

#25505 - 11/08/03 12:12 AM Re: What is my ball?
Grim Offline
League Bowler

Thanks Tom.

Is it possible might mine be different as I am in Australia? Just asking as mine is a purple surface

#25506 - 11/08/03 04:47 PM Re: What is my ball?
Bowlerski Offline
High Roller

Hey Grim!

No, just because you are in Australia, it isn't different, the purple came out after the other three, and I believe was supposed to be a real hooking monster, but I really don't remember for sure. It sounds like the senior bowler you mentioned is in the know!

Tom

#25507 - 11/09/03 12:55 AM Re: What is my ball?
Grim Offline
League Bowler

Thanks again Tom smile

I am sure the guy at bowling will be pleased to know he had it right all along

#25508 - 12/01/03 12:01 AM Re: What is my ball?
Grim Offline
League Bowler

Seems this old ball of mine has just about reached its use-by-date. Where the thumb hole has been plugged and re-drilled (numerous times before I ever owned it as well) it is starting to break. At a tournament on the weekend I had shards of the ball around the thumbhole actually splinter off and I bowled with a slight hollow around the insert in my thumbhole. Now... I am assuming that this means the impending doom of my ball, but is it so? If it can be salvaged that would be great as I don't really see a new ball in my budget anytime soon and I would hate to have to go back to a houseball.

#25509 - 12/01/03 10:08 PM Re: What is my ball?
Bowlerski Offline
High Roller

Hey Grim!

You can take the ball to the Pro Shop, and have them cut out the old plug that is chipping out, and replug it. It may look a little nasty, but you should be able to get a little more use out of it.

Tom

#25510 - 12/05/03 03:15 AM Re: What is my ball?
Grim Offline
League Bowler

Thanks for that Tom!

Just a question though... by that do you mean drill out a LARGE hole that encompasses the whole lot of the plugs that are there or just the offending plug that is chipping away?

It may not be as important now as it was before as one of my league team mates has a ball that he no longer uses and from his description of it yesterday it should suit me just fine. Would be nice to have both of them though as it is unlikely the other ball is exactly the same.

#25511 - 12/07/03 12:59 PM Re: What is my ball?
Bowlerski Offline
High Roller

Hey Grim!

Depending on the amout of plugged area, it may be better if the whole lot was cut out, if it is just a few areas, then just the small areas.

Tom

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Anthony Simonsen Gene Carter's Pro Shop Classic
by 82Boat69 - Today at 02:33 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 08/19/18 11:45 AM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - 08/19/18 10:29 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - 08/19/18 08:41 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.